DR Rapid Fire Rack & Pinion

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I wonder how big/heavy the flywheels would need to be to drive through a star or honeycomb wedge.
Use the same 'don't mess with us' flywheels to drive a guillotine (or circular blade) and I can see the EPA wetting themselves in anticipation of a mega-production processor that needs just a fifth of the condensed dinosaurs required by current processors.

With an inertia splitter that large, I would not want to see what happens when there is a split failure... someone would most likely be placed on the DL.

I get a big kick out the DR commercial on TV. It sure does split pretty fast compared to a hyd splitter in nice straight grain wood. I'd like to see how it does with some nice snarly red oak like I was splitting last spring. My 27 ton splitter was grunting on some of those pieces.

Don't think this splitter would be able to do the job for me.

Like I said, when I demoed it with nice wood it was fast but when I threw on some knotty beech it didn't like it at all. In a perfect world this thing would be great but when you get into the knotty stuff give me my 35 ton husky. If you had a splitter already and bought this one for the easy wood then it would save you time but then you would have to have old trusty to use for the bad stuff. Of course this is just my opinion after demoing it.

First, I do not own any inertia splitter. The way I would look at it though if I did not own a splitter at all and was making my first purchase. After seeing a few brands in action, I am guessing I could split 90 to 95% of the wood I get. Then, I could pile the stubborn pieces aside and rent a hydraulic for a day and do those when the pile got big enough. Seeing the speed of these machines, I would believe the labor hours saved in that 90% would pay for the rental of the hydraulic splitter.

Has any body bought one????

Pete
Good question.
I note DR POWER checked out of this thread quite some time ago.
Quite a few seem to be buying the speeco. How that holds up over time will be the clincher, me thinks.

I can understand about being faster in the perfect "wood splitting" world, but the advertisement can be a little misleading as well. My brother-in-law (city slicker) said I needed one of the DR splitters so I can get the firewood made faster. Like I said previously, I split a lot of snarly oak (I'll bet about 65 to 70%) and the DR just wouldn't be able to do it. He thinks that all firewood is the same so the DR can split it and there must be other people see the ad would think the same.

There might be some disclaimers in the advertisement that states it might not be suitable all type of wood that I didn't see, but if not there should be. I could see a lawsuit coming if there isn't a disclaimer.

They try to stupid proof everything, and evolution creates dumber idiots :dizzy:

Man's capability for intelligent engineering will always be eclipsed by the underestimation of his ignorance and his greater capacity for (mostly) un-intentional stupidity... If nothing else, working for the Gov't has taught me that....:bang:

Any body thinking about buying one????

Pete

Saw one at my dealer. Looks heavy duty. $2500 with the table. Splitting components look very similar (almost identical) to the SS. It has some folding handles in the front for moving it around, that's a very good idea. I think these will be a good alternative to the SS and definitely a step up from the Speeco.

My Decision...
=========
I've decided to get one of the DR machines. Just called in my credit card number. If I don't like it for any reason after a whole year, I can just give it back for a full refund (minus transport cost). That's a pretty good way for me to hedge the risk that these either have some defect, that there will be a big price drop or that there is a major product improvement coming.

My Needs...
========
I'm not a commercial user. I burn about 6 cord a year and my brother hauls about 4 cord a year off the same property. We have a New Hampshire forest - oak, beech, birch, maple.

I have been splitting mostly by hand, though I've rented hydrolic splitters before and knew that I would one day get one. I can split about as fast by hand as a hydrolic and so really like the idea of a faster split with these kinetic models. I'm not sure yet, but I think that it will suit my own work tempo better than the hydrolics did.

I used to cut my rounds out in the woods and split out there too (if the bugs weren't bad) and then just throw cut wood into my UTV. Without the tow option, I'll have to bring the rounds to the splitter. I think that will work fine, pulling whole logs off the UTV and directly onto the splitter.

I like buying American-made things to help stimulate our economy, but 33% is a big price difference between the RapidFire and the SpeedPro (the 2 machines I considered). The DR would need to be better equipment at that much of a higher cost to me.

My Analysis...
=========
I would have gotten the new SpeedPro kenetic splitter, because I love the price, tow hitch and included table. However, the reviews on the TSC site show four machines with broken teeth now. Also, when I had a look at the first one out here, it was wobbling due to poorly balanced flywheels. I went back for another demo and that time, the rod that engages the ram from the handle had bent and it wasn't splitting (it was disengaging too early now, with this shortened bar).

The two AS reviewers who bought SpeedPros had different disengagement sensitivities (one would plow through knotty stuff until it stalled the motor and the other would pop back without enough force). Finally, there are a couple video's on this site which raised some safety questions to me... a side whack from a log and also one flung backwards and upwards (i.e. where your head lives). I am guessing that the wedge isn't sharp enough on the SpeedCo and causes too much resistance because a SuperSplit owner said that he hadn't seen log flight like that before. Note that no AS members report broken teeth and both like their machines.

If TSC would let me return it after one year with no questions asked, then I would probably have been one of the first to own a SpreedPro. Instead, I'll take the DR deal and see if the engineering and American workmanship of the RapidFire live up to the DR marketing. I have seen no customer images of the DR and only one comment (here) from someone who has seen it running in person. So it is a risk, but mitigated by the return offer, I believe...

I'll post some initial findings next week.

Thank you.
I'm sure many of us are keen to read what you think of it. Any pictures and videos would be fantastic also.

I wonder how many people would consider their DR splitter transport costs awfully cheap hire costs for a year of working their DR hard, knowing they are going to return it at the end of the year. Part of it's higher price must surely go towards funding this awesome guarantee option and any abuse thereof.

My Decision...
=========
I've decided to get one of the DR machines. Just called in my credit card number. If I don't like it for any reason after a whole year, I can just give it back for a full refund (minus transport cost). That's a pretty good way for me to hedge the risk that these either have some defect, that there will be a big price drop or that there is a major product improvement coming.

My Needs...
========
I'm not a commercial user. I burn about 6 cord a year and my brother hauls about 4 cord a year off the same property. We have a New Hampshire forest - oak, beech, birch, maple.

I have been splitting mostly by hand, though I've rented hydrolic splitters before and knew that I would one day get one. I can split about as fast by hand as a hydrolic and so really like the idea of a faster split with these kinetic models. I'm not sure yet, but I think that it will suit my own work tempo better than the hydrolics did.

I used to cut my rounds out in the woods and split out there too (if the bugs weren't bad) and then just throw cut wood into my UTV. Without the tow option, I'll have to bring the rounds to the splitter. I think that will work fine, pulling whole logs off the UTV and directly onto the splitter.

I like buying American-made things to help stimulate our economy, but 33% is a big price difference between the RapidFire and the SpeedPro (the 2 machines I considered). The DR would need to be better equipment at that much of a higher cost to me.

My Analysis...
=========
I would have gotten the new SpeedPro kenetic splitter, because I love the price, tow hitch and included table. However, the reviews on the TSC site show four machines with broken teeth now. Also, when I had a look at the first one out here, it was wobbling due to poorly balanced flywheels. I went back for another demo and that time, the rod that engages the ram from the handle had bent and it wasn't splitting (it was disengaging too early now, with this shortened bar).

The two AS reviewers who bought SpeedPros had different disengagement sensitivities (one would plow through knotty stuff until it stalled the motor and the other would pop back without enough force). Finally, there are a couple video's on this site which raised some safety questions to me... a side whack from a log and also one flung backwards and upwards (i.e. where your head lives). I am guessing that the wedge isn't sharp enough on the SpeedCo and causes too much resistance because a SuperSplit owner said that he hadn't seen log flight like that before. Note that no AS members report broken teeth and both like their machines.

If TSC would let me return it after one year with no questions asked, then I would probably have been one of the first to own a SpreedPro. Instead, I'll take the DR deal and see if the engineering and American workmanship of the RapidFire live up to the DR marketing. I have seen no customer images of the DR and only one comment (here) from someone who has seen it running in person. So it is a risk, but mitigated by the return offer, I believe...

I'll post some initial findings next week.

Mine was ordered today, expected to arrive in two weeks. Will let you know how it pans out, I hope well. All of my comments can pretty much be mirrored by camp. Except, I split more per year in a semi-commercial way (bundled firewood). Looking forward to the review.

If SS offered the same right of return period as DR, would you two have chosen SS?

Bringing to market just 1/10th of the ideas currently swimming in my head would bankrupt me. I'll let the much anticipated post-flywheel patent competitive environment that's finally starting to blossom up there decide which, if any, of my ideas had/have any merit in the real world. Far cheaper this way.

I'm still of the mind that Blount are the most serious competitive threat to SS, at this stage, although it remains to be proven that what DR lacks in productive, differentiating innovation, it makes up for with it's marketing and guarantee angles. Interesting times, for sure. Lov'n it.

Back