DR Rapid Fire Rack & Pinion

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I would like to see how it connects.

View attachment 229249

I just received my tow kit today - will install tomorrow. So glad that I'll have practical a way to move this thing around the property now. That was my main issue with the machine. Heavy gauge material and solid hardware. The wide stance of the wheels should keep it pretty stable despite its high center of gravity (which will lower a bit when you tilt up the front for towing, I guess).

The photo shows how it attaches to the base of the front leg. The tow bar can be slid back through this sheeve underneath the machine and out of the way for stowage.

Totally stoked.

Last edited:
I just received my tow kit today - will install tomorrow.
229249d1331931906-tow-jpg

DR Rapid Fire Performance

Hello!
I've got a Rapidfire at my place and I've split about 25 face cords of wood so far. This machine is very fast. It handles most of the 24" hard maple logs I put through it in one go. When it does stall and the belts squeal, I back off, then take another run at the block. I can easily split wood four times faster with the Rapidfire than I can with my 34 ton Swisher. I only use the Swisher for the really big logs now. Since it tips up, it's still superior for logs too heavy to lift. The Rapidfire is expensive given the simplicity of it, but productivity more than makes up for that.
I hope this helps.
Steve

I wonder if Paul sold out, or did DR just make a real good copy. Looks like an orange SS to me...

I dont understadn why but Super Splitter let their patent expire. Tractor Supply came out with one for about 1300.00 and its alreadt recalled. Super split is the only one that can really make these well. Plus customer satisfaction thro Paul is awesome!

I dont understadn why but Super Splitter let their patent expire. Tractor Supply came out with one for about 1300.00 and its alreadt recalled. Super split is the only one that can really make these well. Plus customer satisfaction thro Paul is awesome!

I believe to re-patent something, changes need to be made (I could be wrong here). Guess Paul didn't see any reason to change anything and I'd have to agree.

I read here, or heard somewhere, that DR bought two splitters from Super Split, before they came out with their own... :msp_unsure:

Last edited:

The TSC (speedpro) unit is more like $1700+tax+ you better think hard about the extended warranty($2-300). So about a $900 savings over the SS. The extended warranty only gets you out to about 3 years I believe. The extra $900 was worth it to me for the proven performance and durability of the SS. The rapid fire pricing is much closer to SS, I believe with in $150 once you factor in shipping and the work table. Is saving $150 worth taking the gamble on a brand new product? To me is was not. Perhaps I've underestimated the value of the DR name? I will give them a thumbs up on customer service - 6 years ago when my father suddenly passed away, he had a PTO driven chipper that he had uncrated but not used. At the time no one else in the family had any use for it so I called DR. They took it back no questions asked and even paid for the shipping to pick it up. Full refund.

I believe to re-patent something, changes need to be made (I could be wrong here). Guess Paul didn't see any reason to change anything and I'd have to agree.

I read here, or heard somewhere, that DR bought two splitters from Super Split, before they came out with their own... :msp_unsure:

I guess the same could be said of hydraulic splitters, somebody must have made the first one and now everybody makes them.

The TSC (speedpro) unit is more like $1700+tax+ you better think hard about the extended warranty($2-300). So about a $900 savings over the SS. The extended warranty only gets you out to about 3 years I believe. The extra $900 was worth it to me for the proven performance and durability of the SS. The rapid fire pricing is much closer to SS, I believe with in $150 once you factor in shipping and the work table. Is saving $150 worth taking the gamble on a brand new product? To me is was not. Perhaps I've underestimated the value of the DR name? I will give them a thumbs up on customer service - 6 years ago when my father suddenly passed away, he had a PTO driven chipper that he had uncrated but not used. At the time no one else in the family had any use for it so I called DR. They took it back no questions asked and even paid for the shipping to pick it up. Full refund.

I just ordered one, with a few extra toys it was just over $3,000 delivered. From memory it was a bit cheaper but not significantly cheaper than the SS.

Despite the fact that I will be driving past the SpeeCo HQ this afternoon I can not buy one locally and it would be a very long road trip to get one. So that was out of the equation.

The DR one is Red?

I did go for the electric start but that was not a deal breaker.

D.R splitters

I am real interested in this product, but here in NZ we tend to tow splitters around and split on site, So they need to be 50MPH stable. My idea would be to use 15in wheels, towable from the engine end, And have the center support, from the axle as 2 pieces of RHS that slide inside one another. this is lowered for towing to bring the stability to something reasonable, a small hand operated hydraulic ram, mounted on the center RHS, could be used to lift it up to the working hieght, and be pinned through both RHS to hold it in the working position,. and the travel position. Also this could be adustable for different operator comfort, by just drilling another hole for the pin. I am 6ft and find some splitters are too low for me and hurt my back

Half, why don't you give Chris Smith from Taskpower in Nelson a call? He stocks Split-fire splitters, which are nearly as fast as a SS, built at the right height so you don't bend while working, and are road towable. His no. is 0800 200 744. Besides all that, they have been proven on the toughest logs in NZ, which no inertia splitter has!

splitters

I dont want a hydraulic one, I have built 4 of them, I want a mechanical one now, just bought a house with a woodburner, and love the speed

OK, so I may not be the sharpest tool in the shed, but I don't get it. Tassie, a while ago you admitted to being a split-fire seller, then asked DR if they'd send you an evaluation machine, and also called their splitter lightly built, advised you were told they won't hold up in Aussie hardwoods, and suggested half not buy a DR kinetic rather a split-fire.

Why do you want a DR if they are not up to the task and genuinely believe half will be better off with a split-fire? Curiosity?

Oh, and DR, I'm still waiting for your PM :)

OK, so I may not be the sharpest tool in the shed, but I don't get it. Tassie, a while ago you admitted to being a split-fire seller, then asked DR if they'd send you an evaluation machine, and also called their splitter lightly built, advised you were told they won't hold up in Aussie hardwoods, and suggested half not buy a DR kinetic rather a split-fire.

Why do you want a DR if they are not up to the task and genuinely believe half will be better off with a split-fire? Curiosity?

Oh, and DR, I'm still waiting for your PM :)

Kiwi, I'm not only admitting it, I'm proud to be a Split-Fire agent, because I know they will split 100 cords a year, year in year out, without breaking. No rack to break, no belts to wear out, not built like a strong wind will blow them over!
But then again, I AM interested to evaluate them as a cheaper alternative for those who can't afford a decent machine, who don't need to tow them around, and If they will split Aussie hardwood. We'll see how these DRs are going after 10 years!

I think you were quoted about $4k Aussie for a DR? If that's a "cheaper machine" what's a split-fire going for?
So, the inference is you don't consider the DR a decent machine, have been told it won't handle Aussie wood well, but don't believe that and want to evaluate it for yourself?
I'm not trying to wind you up but I'm still confused. Why would you want to sell a non-decent machine that's costing $4k Aussie? I know NZ is the poorer cousin but is $4k 'cheap' over there?

Kiwi, I'm not only admitting it, I'm proud to be a Split-Fire agent, because I know they will split 100 cords a year, year in year out, without breaking. No rack to break, no belts to wear out, not built like a strong wind will blow them over!
But then again, I AM interested to evaluate them as a cheaper alternative for those who can't afford a decent machine, who don't need to tow them around, and If they will split Aussie hardwood. We'll see how these DRs are going after 10 years!

I can feel a joke coming on, but lets keep it straight, what is so special about Australian Hardwood.

I think you were quoted about $4k Aussie for a DR? If that's a "cheaper machine" what's a split-fire going for?
So, the inference is you don't consider the DR a decent machine, have been told it won't handle Aussie wood well, but don't believe that and want to evaluate it for yourself?
I'm not trying to wind you up but I'm still confused. Why would you want to sell a non-decent machine that's costing $4k Aussie? I know NZ is the poorer cousin but is $4k 'cheap' over there?

I was looking at a Splitfire, nice machines, but not cheap.

Kiwi, you're confused because you don't get out enough and breathe some oxygen - too busy trying to spark trouble on your computer!
I'll try to answer in simple language that even you can understand.
1. $4000 quoted isn't cheap at all, it's expensive in my opinion. I would be trying to get that price down for quantity, and because I would have to add a margin.
2. There are no DRs in Aus as you well know, so the importer's opinion (they import DRs other equipment) is just that, they may well handle our timber, but how does anyone know without using one?
3. In my opinion, a 'decent' splitter doesn't wear out belts and springs, or have the ram head fall off, or break rack teeth, or shake so much it won't stay in one place, all reported occurances for Speeco and Drs on this thread! So to enlarge on that SS MAY be a decent splitter, how would I know - just by reading what others say about them.
4.The cheapest Split-Fire portable is $5379 in Aus. but if you average it out over a lifetime of splitting, it isn't expensive, just a fair price for an excellent machine.
5. I think I've explained this as much as I can, so this is the last post for me on this thread within the thread!

Como, there is nothing special about our gum trees, they are rotton old twisty grain, knotted, stringy wood that often resists splitting and then goes off with a bang. But it burns well! We'd love to have some of the straight grained wood you Americans have.

1. $4000 quoted isn't cheap at all, it's expensive in my opinion.
Agreed. It would have to be productive and reliable to justify that price.
2....they import DRs other equipment) is just that, they may well handle our timber, but how does anyone know without using one?
Presumably, neither you nor I would be as close to DR and privy to privileged info on the performance of DR kinetic splitters as the importer. Noting said importer is also in the business of making money selling DR product, that they have decided the splitter won't hold up well enough with Aussie wood is quite an admission. Whether DR in USA are happy with such an admission, albeit hearsay from a Tasmanian seller of split-fire splitters, would be an interesting question to have answered. Perhaps, through a lack of countering such an assertion in this thread, monitored by DR themselves, their silence speaks volumes?

3. In my opinion, a 'decent' splitter doesn't wear out belts and springs, or have the ram head fall off, or break rack teeth, or shake so much it won't stay in one place, all reported occurances for Speeco and Drs on this thread! So to enlarge on that SS MAY be a decent splitter, how would I know - just by reading what others say about them.
So I take it you drive a piece of crap then? Or do the belts not wear out on your ride? A few belts wearing out to safeguard the engine is a small consumable price to pay and, to coin an argument often demonstrative of a used car salesman: "if you average it out over a lifetime of splitting, it isn't expensive, just a fair price...". A ram head parting company with the rack /carriage is indeed hopeless and potentially lethal, but one certainly cannot fault DR's response which is in starK contrast to the SP treatment of their customers.
4. The cheapest Split-Fire portable is $5379 in Aus...
Given these are made in the same hemisphere as two of the kinetic brands, and being a reseller, are you aware of any production comparisons between these two very different concepts? Has anyone done any comparison? I note there was a DR video out a while ago showing them up against quite possibly the slowest hydraulic known to mankind, which I personally don't think did DR any great favours.

Latest posts

Back