DR Rapid Fire Rack & Pinion

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I notice the stop for the engagement on your DR is adjustable. I can't recall seeing that on the SS. I suppose it would be good to fine tune how far over-centre the bearing goes? Although too far and it won't pop out in a hurry, which is probably not a good thing.

There is no reason to have it adjustable IMO. Unless something is bent or broken, that stop point should always be the same. But maybe DR can come along and add input. I just don't see how.

Basically, it needs to be adjust so it just pops over TDC. I can't remember the actual degrees that tech gave me, but when I checked it, that's what it was.

D&B Mack

my greetings

can you measure the thickness of the shaft, which is the bend

My main axis in the mechanism is 20mm thick and the other with rollers is 15 mm and up to now it did not bend I treats the machine with the worst wood that I found

Are you referring to this pin?

Bent.jpg

Different strokes for different folks. I have one and it has split everything that I have thrown on the deck. May have to hit it 2 or 3 times but that is still faster than hydro splitter. I love mine. lmbeachy

Hello

Hi,

My name is Trent. I work for Country Home Products (DR Power) in Tech Support. I'm going to answer some questions and try to clear up any misinformation. I will be monitoring the site and try to keep up with the questions.

D&B Mack- as you probably noticed with the new parts, the Stop Bolts are Grade 5, not Grade 2. The shop may have used their own when you had it in there? They have always been Grade 5.

The Bearing Arm should be angled about 5 degrees forward.

Our website did have the specs wrong initially on the New Rapidfire Models This has been corrected

There are 2 models, Pro & Pro XL. The Pro has smaller (54lb) Flywheels that are grooved & use 1 Belt, a smaller 5.5hp Engine and only comes in manual start. The Pro XL is similar to the existing Rapidfire. Both have the new Axle/Wheels, Standard Tow Bar, New Table and lower work height (25").

I hope this helps clear up some of the info!

Hi,

My name is Trent. I work for Country Home Products (DR Power) in Tech Support. I'm going to answer some questions and try to clear up any misinformation. I will be monitoring the site and try to keep up with the questions.

D&B Mack- as you probably noticed with the new parts, the Stop Bolts are Grade 5, not Grade 2. The shop may have used their own when you had it in there? They have always been Grade 5.

The Bearing Arm should be angled about 5 degrees forward.

Our website did have the specs wrong initially on the New Rapidfire Models This has been corrected

There are 2 models, Pro & Pro XL. The Pro has smaller (54lb) Flywheels that are grooved & use 1 Belt, a smaller 5.5hp Engine and only comes in manual start. The Pro XL is similar to the existing Rapidfire. Both have the new Axle/Wheels, Standard Tow Bar, New Table and lower work height (25").

I hope this helps clear up some of the info!

Thank you Trent.

You really do need a test pilot for 'Down Under' and I know just the man for the job. But he's not available so I'll step in and help out.

In the meantime, I'll just have to keep using my Super Split and modifying it to try different things out. If you guys haven't done so already, I recommend trying an UHMWPE layer to the table. It really does save more operator energy than I would have believed had I not tried it. But then I don't use the log cradle you guys use.

Not arguing with you, and you guys have been great on the Customer Service End. But I specifically called and asked about upgrading the grade 2 bolts, and the Rep that was online went to engineering and asked and they said "no". Just to clarify where my info was coming from.

I have read this entire thread. Does anyone know anything about this new model? The cheaper one. $2000 with the tray seems like a good price. It says it comes with a 2 year warranty. It appears the XL model does not come with a warranty. I"m having trouble finding the exact details. Only making a standard warranty with the cheaper newer model?

Also does not have the Subaru engine...

The new model has a smaller engine, and smaller, lighter flywheels. Warrangy is the same for both models.

Then why does the XL have an extended warranty option that the cheaper model does not. Is this cheaper model the one that everyone has, I'm guessing not. Can anyone comment on it? Did I miss someone posting their experience with it?

I think DR is trying to get a lower priced unit to compete against the Speeco unit. The Pro model does not coverial commercial use like the Pro XL unit.

I think DR is trying to get a lower priced unit to compete against the Speeco unit. The Pro model does not coverial commercial use like the Pro XL unit.

Forgive me for being naive but what exactly does this mean or entail? Warranty related?

UPDATE: I Just got off the phone with someone from DR's tech support. The engine on the new smaller unit is a 5.5 Loncin Engine. I will be getting back details on the difference between the supersplit and the new smaller DR Rapid Fire. I'm curious as to the value difference between the Rapid Fire Pro and the Rapid Fire Pro XL. If the Pro compares with the supersplit, it may be getting my money. The price is hard to beat. From what the tech support guy said it is not very different. Smaller engine and a lighter flywheel. Not sure what this will result in but we'll see. Oh and there are cheaper tires on the Pro model from what I was told.

EDIT: I got a call back already. Wow, very fast. The only main difference in the flywheel weight. The superpslit is a 74 pound flywheel as is the Rapid Fire Pro XL. The Pro model is a 55lb flywheel. Wondering what the true difference will be splitting power wise.

More troubles with my unreliable rapid fire

I have posted many times on this thread throughout the past year reporting it's performance giving constant updates. Well here's the latest...The rack teeth broke on my Rapid Fire a couple months back and DR graciously sent me a replacement rack & pinion no problem. But it took three weeks. Once the parts were in hand, I had the mechanic tare it down and carefully go through it to get it ready for the busy season (which cost me $300 for the labor). He installed the new rack and pinion, repaired the bent return bolt stop, installed new springs and replaced the bent bolts (again) and other small parts that were worn. Once rebuilt, I didn't get three cord of wood split before it let me down again...This time, the brand-new pinion wore to the point it would not engage into the rack deep enough rendering my Rapid Fire useless once again. Now it's firewood season and my splitter is broke down and back in the shop. I called DR 2-weeks ago and they said they would send me a new splitter and it would be about 2-weeks for delivery. Well I called yesterday and the order wasn't processed as the rep said it was in some sort of holding pattern. He said he would have someone call back with details and as of 5:30 pm today, no return call! I'm starting to get frusterated here. I bought this machine because of the tremendous customer service record, I only wish it would stay together and do it's job. It sure worked great when it was new but I am very sad to say, cannot depend on this machine any more. I'll report back with what happens next.

Wow, I was ready to pull the trigger. For 200 more I can get a super split shipped. Maybe I should do that.

How big is the wedge on the supersplit? The DR seems a bit too small. Is the Super Split also smaller than most?

The Super Split as a narrow sharp wedge that is about 6" tall. Works Great!

This type of splitter will not work with the big, wide wedges found on hydro splitters.

Latest posts

Back