DR Rapid Fire Rack & Pinion

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You're doing exactly what I thought you'd do. That is ignore my advice and go kinetic right off the bat :). It's not without it's merits and I can't help but smile as it's probably exactly what I would have done too.

Hey Kiwi,
I will be getting the SS or the DR. just trying to boil down which one.

scotte303 - I've been using the DR for over a year now (Pro-XL). It's built solid and works great. I would recommend it to anyone chopping more than a few cord a year. Wishing you good choppin'!

I have heard alot of people like them and the customer service is excellent. Thanks for your input.

Hello Scotte,
I came to this forum several weeks ago asking about the rapid fire, at that time I was fairly convinced that the DR was the splitter to buy, until I did my research.
I spent at least 12 hours researching the splitter and to make a long story short, I now plan on ordering the Super Split from Paul here in the next couple months. I would have ordered it already but I have no reason to spend the money while I've still got 4 feet of snow in my yard.
Anyway, just wanted to share a little about where I had gotten with the DR splitter, good luck in your search.
By the way, not only did I find the Super Split to be a far superior product but when I called, Paul, the owner actually picked up the phone, when I called DR... just another salesman....

I am starting to lean this way as well. however there are some very good reviews on the DR as well.
Some of the things on my mind are.
1. SS has been around for years which is a great thing, however I also understand its a small mom and pop shop. Will they retire soon? Will they sell to another large company with lousy support?
2. what kind of financing do they offer?
3.at the present time, DR has 0% financing for 36 months and with 2 kids in college, money is tight.
4. I have heard great reviews on DR customer service and it appears they are a growing business.

So there are my concerns with the big one being the financing.

Thanks again,

Scott

http://www.arboristsite.com/firewood-heating-wood-burning-equipment/181787.htm

Melvin Yoder
Flack Hill Machine LTD
7799 Flack Road
Howard,Ohio 43028

Here's a phone # you can leave a message or get lucky and you might get Melvin(its a community phone)740-427-2723 And its not any where near Howard,Ohio but Howard must be the closest town with a post office.

Pete

yes I know not a big business like d&r or super split but,its very well built.one year warranty(which mine is out of)30 day money back.Any body who on here lives close to 44836(Green Springs,Ohio) I would let you run it and ck it out.Pm me if you would like to ck it out.All have to split right now is ash.Bring some wood with ya.

You're doing exactly what I thought you'd do. That is ignore my advice and go kinetic right off the bat :). It's not without it's merits and I can't help but smile as it's probably exactly what I would have done too.

I know it, Kiwibro, I may be better off w/hydraulic but I can't afford to buy 2 splitters, and I have to have the SPEED:rock:

I am starting to lean this way as well. however there are some very good reviews on the DR as well.
1. SS has been around for years which is a great thing, however I also understand its a small mom and pop shop. Will they retire soon? Will they sell to another large company with lousy support?
3.at the present time, DR has 0% financing for 36 months and with 2 kids in college, money is tight.
4. I have heard great reviews on DR customer service and it appears they are a growing business.

Thanks again,

Scott
Good questions!

1) SS has been around a long time. Paul took over from his FIL if I remember right. His sons are heavily involved now and look to carry on the business well into the future.

2)No financing as far as I know. I'm also completely debt free, but that's for another conversation.

3) I would still rather have an SS than a DR.

4) DR is a large growing company, that copied SS. I'd rather deal with the owner of a small mom & pop.

Thanks again,

Scott

You better check on that financing again. The way it looks to me is, you pay monthly payments for 3 years BEFORE they send you the splitter, in essence locking in your price. Not like normal financing payments like your car. You better check that one out again.

You better check on that financing again. The way it looks to me is, you pay monthly payments for 3 years BEFORE they send you the splitter, in essence locking in your price. Not like normal financing payments like your car. You better check that one out again.

I doubt that, no one would ever use it. The whole idea of financing is instant gratification.

Mr. HE:cool:

Just pulled the trigger on te DR Rapid fire XL.

Just pulled the trigger on te DR Rapid fire XL. they said about 2 weeks. my friend purcased one as well.They were able to work with us on shipping,total cost and the extended warranty. If its not all what they say it is I can ship it back witin 6 monts. full refund. no questions asked.

I know from experience, you will be pleased with it, Lester

I have to say..I am extremely pleased with this machine. 1 full cord of wood in a little less than an hour without really killing myself..I will keep you all updated.

I have to say..I am extremely pleased with this machine. 1 full cord of wood in a little less than an hour without really killing myself..I will keep you all updated.

You will get faster with time.

To do a cord it is no real issue anyway, but if you are out there all day you realise that getting the flow properly set up makes a big difference to both speed and back strain.

You will get faster with time.

To do a cord it is no real issue anyway, but if you are out there all day you realise that getting the flow properly set up makes a big difference to both speed and back strain.
Agreed.
When people say I seems slow and relaxed when they focus on me, but when they focus on the wood coming off the machine it's piling up at a fast rate, well, that's about the best thing to hear. Also, regarding noise, I'm at my fastest when there's next to no noise, especially not much engagement noise. Instead the rack is engaging just after it bounces off the rubber stoppers, thus is heading in the same direction as the pinion - a silent, easy mesh (not mash) of teeth.

Flow is a great way to describe how to get the most of out these machines and at the same time limit the wear and tear on the nut behind the wheel. When I first got my SS, it became a challenge to see how much I could knock out in a day and I approached it all wrong by thinking that meant being more physical, running around like a madman. Nowadays, max production days are the ones that seems the least amount of effort. When flow is what's focussed on rather than production.

Flow also alludes to the best kind of wood for production. If you have to keep breaking flow or can't find a good flow, because of ugly wood, then don't expect max production.

I guess that's experience.

Last edited:
apples to apples

Looked at the DR then the SS. At first the DR seemed like the better deal but looking closer I think the SS is. Here is what I found:
The SS with table is $2600, the HD model is $3,000.
The DR is $2100 for the standard splitter the xl is $2600, both prices are with the production table.
Now to break down the models to give a better comparison. The DR heavy duty model comes with 74# flywheels, the standard supersplit comes with 75# flywheels, the ss hd model comes with 100#flywheels. So the DR XL really compares better to the standard SS. Also the standard DR comes with a unkown brand engine, probably something similar to the type of engine you would find at Harbor Freight. The DR XL comes with a subaru, same as the standard SS. So when I broke down the units the DR XL and standard SS are priced almost identically.
With the SS you get lots of years experience, excellent product reputation, and yeah I called and the owner answered and offered me answers to any and all questions.
I was hoping with DR getting into the game they would have brought something more, if nothing else better pricing.

Some facts for those comparing products.... The price for the DR right now (at the time of the above posting) is $2500 - not $2600. That includes free shipping, no "crating charge", 12-month interest-free financing, a two-year warranty (extendable to 5 yrs), 6-month trial (just pay return shipping) and you can tow the dang thing with its hitch.

Some facts for those comparing products.... The price for the DR right now (at the time of the above posting) is $2500 - not $2600. That includes free shipping, no "crating charge", 12-month interest-free financing, a two-year warranty (extendable to 5 yrs), 6-month trial (just pay return shipping) and you can tow the dang thing with its hitch.

I revisited the DR web site and indeed the price is down to $2500 with free shipping and the financing scheme as outlined above. While on the website I read some reviews and was turned off again. There were some really scathing reviews that said the only redeeming value was DR allowing returns.
I don't know how much shipping one of these would be and it will vary for everone based on location but you could get the SS for something like 10% more than the cost of a DR without the teething pains. Personal choice but the saying you get what you pay for seems to be ringing in my ears.

First off you'll pay tax on the DR and unless you live in Massachusetts you won't pay any sales tax for the super split bringing their prices pretty close. In new York it will cost 200 in tax or 200 in shipping for the SS. Who would want a 3 year old product versus a 30+ year product that has proven reliability? It's a no brainer. Get a SS

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Something else to consider if your going electric.

You could purchase the SS without an electric motor and just add one yourself to save a few bucks, then there is also the tax free days I believe at the end of summer too.

Tax-free weekend returns to Massachusetts Aug. 11-12, 2012. During the two-day period, all purchases made in the Commonwealth totaling less than $2,500 will not be subject to state tax, which could mean significant savings in some instances. However, there are some rules and exceptions.

Go with Paul he is the man !

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back