DR Rapid Fire Rack & Pinion

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I split only for myself and may loan it to friends/family. I would think 6 cord/yr would be on a high average for me. I realize that isn't a lot of wood for one of these units but I value my time and don't want to spend a lot of it splitting wood. If I could get all my wood for the year split and stacked in two days that would be great.
I am waiting to see if Mass will have a tax free weekend again, Paul told me he would get me out the door under the $2500 tax free limit on a J model. I really like the idea of running an electric model and not having to smell exhaust all afternoon and being able to hear the birds while splitting.

Well, my newly purchased Rapidfire Pro XL is already in the shop.

A good warranty and good customer support is great to have. But the whole point of having one is so that you don’t have to take the company up on their offer. I don’t want the hassle of returning the splitter and being out the shipping money. I bought this because I wanted it to be the splitter that lasts for the next 20 years. I may have made a serious mistake. When the splitter is repaired, I’ll have to shell out for a pickup and delivery fee as I had no way of getting it to them.

That's a bummer!

If it was me, I'd return it for a refund and get the better SS splitter.

When Paul at SS asked how much wood I ever thought I might split in a years time, I told him the max would never go over 50 cord per year, but with an average amount in the 20 cord range. He was pretty adamant that the J-model would be fine for me. I even argued that I would probably go ahead with the HD model. He basically said that he would sell it to me if that is what I wanted, but also asured me that it wasn't necessary.
Paul said some things like that to me as well. My concern is that the RapidFire is supposed to be a copy of Paul's J model. But it doesn't have enough power to go through large rounds. I have no way of knowing if that is because the clutch is on wrong or if there is something else going on.

Paul said some things like that to me as well. My concern is that the RapidFire is supposed to be a copy of Paul's J model. But it doesn't have enough power to go through large rounds. I have no way of knowing if that is because the clutch is on wrong or if there is something else going on.

The J model has no problem with large rounds. At least mine doesn't. :msp_smile:

No prob with large rounds here either. I actually cheat by loading the big stuff into the backhoe bucket. I then lift it to about table height and park it by the splitter. Biggest I've put on it was a 28 inch, butt end, white oak log without a problem. And trust me, it had some knots otherwise it would have gone to the mill.

Ya talked to Paul first, then bought the DR? Makes no sense. :msp_confused:

Ya talked to Paul first, then bought the DR? Makes no sense. :msp_confused:

Several things factored into my decision.

DRs website let me 'see' the product I was purchasing. It listed detailed specifications. Paul's website doesn't have any recent pictures or specifications to compare with.

I had previous positive experience with another DR splitter. They told me that the splitter was made in Vermont. I figured I would be supporting the US workforce either way so that was a tossup.

DR listened to customer feedback and provided a way to more easily move the beast of a machine. Even though many people have wanted the SS to have something similar, it hasn't materialized.

DR provided an attractive 3 year financing option. That is an exceptional deal for a piece of equipment that is supposed to be rock solid reliable and last many years. They significantly lowered the risk to me by offering a return within 6 months of purchase.

Carefully considering all of the above made it easier for me to give them a chance.

Rapid Fire or previous Rapid Fire Owners, please chime in.

The J model has no problem with large rounds. At least mine doesn't. :msp_smile:

No prob with large rounds here either. Biggest I've put on it was a 28 inch, butt end, white oak log without a problem. And trust me, it had some knots otherwise it would have gone to the mill.

To other owners of the Rapid Fire: Have you had experiences similar to sunfish and Dozer Man's regarding large rounds or have yours been like mine? I'm attempting to determine if DR's Pro-XL model is an 'apples to apples' comparison with the Super Splitter J model.

Does anyone have hands on experience with both machines?

To other owners of the Rapid Fire: Have you had experiences similar to sunfish and Dozer Man's regarding large rounds or have yours been like mine? I'm attempting to determine if DR's Pro-XL model is an 'apples to apples' comparison with the Super Splitter J model.

Does anyone have hands on experience with both machines?

Honestly...How would it not be? Same flywheel weight and they copied the SS. It's going to be nearly the same. There is no such thing as a definition of big rounds...big is different to everyone. Two pieces of the same tree can split differently. You're thinking of this all wrong. It's simple. The J-model and the rapid fire XL split the same. The SS will be more expensive. 1-300 I guess you could say. But the SS will for sure have less problems in the long run. That's for sure. Is a couple hundred worth that? I don't know. Everyone answers that differently.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

There is no such thing as a definition of big rounds...big is different to everyone. Two pieces of the same tree can split differently.

Very true. To clarify: My idea of a big cottonwood or elm round is 22-24" diameter 16" length. They are the biggest I have to work on, the size I was having problems with and what I'm hoping for feedback on.

The J-model and the rapid fire XL split the same. But the SS will for sure have less problems in the long run.
Would you expand on why you say that? Have you used either of the machines?

Trent from DR contacted me today. He apologized for the problems and answered a bunch of questions I had. There is no doubt about DR's commitment to customer service and standing behind their product. He already notified the manufacturing team about the clutch problem. From that, it is obvious to me that these types of problems aren't taken lightly by DR. He also said that they want to have the best Kinetic splitter on the market so they are always looking for ways to improve it. Apparently, they pay attention when customers let them know what's going on in the real world with their product. He said that they test their equipment a lot but the real knowledge comes from the customers.

I figure that when it comes back from the shop, everything should be set to the correct factory specs. I can determine better then how well it does or doesn't work. I let Trent know that I'd give the splitter another solid go before deciding whether to return it.

1st Day with Pro XL

Picked up my new ProXL Tuesday night at the Yellow Freight Depot here. Guy at the dock said that they had three of them delivered Tuesday and "at least 10" since Jan 1st.

The crate is pretty big- around 7' long x 3'8" wide x 5' high, and the fork openings are set up for side loading. The dock forklift had the extra long forks, so it was no problem to put it in my p/u bed the long ways. At home though, I have a set of 48" forks for my JCB 150T track machine. Long story short, the whole crate flipped upside down and sideways while I was taking it off the truck- all my fault because I have no patience. I pulled out the chainsaw and chopped the crate in pieces, then righted the machine. As expected, no damage, except to my ego. In hindsight, I should have loaded the heavy end (motor and flywheel) toward the tailgate so that when I unloaded it, the weight would be close to the JCB. Or...just hook up the damn trailer, slide the crate out with the dump, and remove all risk.

Anyhow, after the crate mess, setup was 15 minutes, inc. putting on the table and my anal-retentive checkout. I checked all the screws, bolts, nuts, belts, etc.. and they were dead-on. Filled up the Subie engine with 30 weight, and pulled thru w/o ignition about 5 times to move the oil around a little, then filled fuel with 100 octane no ethanol, and it started right up. I ran it at idle for 5 minutes, then shut down, rechecked the oil, looked for fuel leaks (none), and checked the spark plug torque (fine).

Dragged the beast down to the back yard, started and bumped to full throttle, and in about 10 minutes, BURIED the outfeed end in split wood, mainly oak and ash, 10" dia to 18" dia. We moved the machine 4 times in 90 minutes of off and on splitting, and I'd estimate I've got near a full cord or wood to stack. Normally, with a hydraulic splitter, I'd expect this to take 3 hours off and on (I usually buck to ~8', then cut to 16" at the splitter a few logs at a time). My old hyd unit didn't have an outfeed table, which I think it the key to efficiency with the RapidFire.

A few thoughts after the first day of operation:

1) I don't think there's much this machine wouldn't be able to split. We had some big gnarly hickory rounds, 24" dia, that it blew through without hesitation- the challenge was lifting them to the table. I have a roughly 40" oak stump I'll try next weekend.

2) The little nubbies on the table are a non-event, and I actually think they help keep the big stuff under control. I was able to near-continuously feed the machine with both fresh rounds and re-splits, and never felt that they were in the way. I also didn't notice them to be particularly pointy as a previous poster did. I would NOT buy this machine without the table, unless you're fabbing up one yourself. It runs so fast that you need an outfeed device and a surface to bring your re-splits back around on w/o lifting them. The table is really beefy, 1/16" steel, good welds, and is held on by 2 sets of 4, 14mm bolts.

3) The lack of auto-cycle (like the SS) is also a non-issue, and a nice safety feature. I originally thought I'd modify the linkage to get it to auto-cycle, but again, it's so damn fast you don't mind holding the lever. Plus, it auto-retracts if you let it go. Worst-case, if your head's in your ass and you put your hand in between the log and ram or log and wedge, you just let go of the lever and all forward motion stops immediately. I wouldn't change this at all.

4) With twisty wood, you'll get some "kick-out" as the ram blows through the round, especially on a 2nd split when you're hitting a half-round. I was wearing double-fabric Carhartts with saw chaps over them, and still got a few bruises on the front of my legs. Luckily, none hit me in the jewels dead-on. That might hurt. I'm 6'0", and mid-thigh is where I got tagged. 5'8"?- wear a cup.

5) The machine is heavy, but it's pretty easy to maneuver by hand using the front post. The towing bracket is as easy as it gets. Sure, official roadworthiness would be nice, but here in Iowa I'll hang an "ag-machine" triangle on it, and tow it slowly behind my truck without too many worries.

6) We burned about 1/3 tank of fuel in 90 minutes. That's at least half of what the hyd splitter used.

7) The overall quality is what I expected from DR: that's to say, excellent. Paint is very good, flywheels were wobble-free, and the ram moved well and straight. I'm a big DR fan: We've had several pieces over the years, inc. a tow-behind brush mower (beefy as hell) and an elderly Powerwagon we still use almost daily. A business partner has the walk-behind brush mower as well, and I've used it quite a lot. All have performed damn near perfectly, and the DR service is also excellent. As I understand it, the flywheels and the engine are the only parts of the splitter not USA made, and they come from Taiwan and Japan, not China. I have a Ridgid pressure washer with the Subaru engine, and I've been very happy with it over ~200 hours- I think they make a very good small gas engine- similar to Briggs 20 years ago. Other than Honda (which are pricey), this is as good an engine that's out there.

8) I would like a 4 way wedge, but not all the time. I think I'm going to fab up a slip-over unit, as there's about 3/4" of clearance between the end of the ram travel and where the wedge ends now. It would cut down on re-splits, especially in nice easy-splitting seasoned oak.

9) A rain cover would be nice, but a 6x8 tarp covered it with ease.

Thanks cypilot!

Hi cypilot. Thank you for taking the time to share your experience thus far. It is quite encouraging. I hope mine works as well as yours after it is back from the shop! I have a few questions if you could spare some answers. :)

Anyhow, after the crate mess, setup was 15 minutes, inc. putting on the table and my anal-retentive checkout. I checked all the screws, bolts, nuts, belts, etc.. and they were dead-on.
Were you able to look at everything with the shroud off or did you check from underneath? Regardless, I'm glad that everything looked accurate to you.

1) I don't think there's much this machine wouldn't be able to split. We had some big gnarly hickory rounds, 24" dia, that it blew through without hesitation- the challenge was lifting them to the table. I have a roughly 40" oak stump I'll try next weekend.

This is good news for sure! Did you notice any 'clanging' type of sound coming from the clutch side of the engine?

3) The lack of auto-cycle (like the SS) is also a non-issue, and a nice safety feature. I originally thought I'd modify the linkage to get it to auto-cycle, but again, it's so damn fast you don't mind holding the lever. Plus, it auto-retracts if you let it go. Worst-case, if your head's in your ass and you put your hand in between the log and ram or log and wedge, you just let go of the lever and all forward motion stops immediately. I wouldn't change this at all.

Did the lever violently kick your hand back at all? DR told me that it sounded like the stop bolt on mine was probably out of spec.

The ram guide bolts on yours...do they look like the ones I showed or are they closer together?
6) We burned about 1/3 tank of fuel in 90 minutes. That's at least half of what the hyd splitter used.
Did you fill your tank higher than the bottom of the nylon filter?

Thanks again for sharing your experience!

Dragged the beast down to the back yard, started and bumped to full throttle, and in about 10 minutes, BURIED the outfeed end in split wood, mainly oak and ash, 10" dia to 18" dia. We moved the machine 4 times in 90 minutes of off and on splitting, and I'd estimate I've got near a full cord or wood to stack. Normally, with a hydraulic splitter, I'd expect this to take 3 hours off and on (I usually buck to ~8', then cut to 16" at the splitter a few logs at a time). My old hyd unit didn't have an outfeed table, which I think it the key to efficiency with the RapidFire.

Pictures or it didn't happen!

Answers...

I can't figure out how to reply using quotes- tells me message is too short.
Here's the answers:

Checked with shroud on, but machine upside down after it fell off truck. No reason to pull shroud. Clutch looked fine and works fine.

Ram stop bolts look the same as yours, no side play noticed (or at least no play that seems excessive for a 25" ram that needs to engage with the pinion smoothly)

No clanging- slight dinging at idle, but I'm assuming that's the clutch pawl hitting the housing. No clanging during operation, just the pleasant crunch of split wood.

No lever kick, unless you get a piece sideways and try to hold the lever while the machine is auto-disengaging. In normal operation, no kick at all.

Filled fuel to the top.

Pics....Too much hassle- I might make a video if I can find my tripod mount and link to youtube. Nice MOG, btw. I'm going to Germany next week- always looking for one sitting in a field somewhere, just waiting for an eager American buyer with shipping abilities. We've got a lake place in MN that a MOG would be perfect for!

Misc:
We split for 30 minutes yesterday, mostly hickory and walnut. Same great results and great speed. I did a design for a 4 way slip-on wedge, and will get it fabbed in the next few weeks. I think the machine has more than enough power to split 4 ways on easy straight-grained pieces. We'll see.

I got the splitter back from the shop.

The shop returned my splitter this morning! :rock:

I am going to give everything a go this weekend and post new pictures. They provided a list of what was found/fixed. For those that understand the mechanical side of the machine I'll provide the information they listed on the receipt. (DR picked up the bill for all of this, even the shop's pickup and delivery fee.)

"Found defective drive clutch (Clutch drum was bent), Found misaligned yoke bearing, Over worn guide bolts (Caused by misaligned yoke bearing), Engine mounting bolts were loose, and Incorrect jetting for current elevation*.

DR provided the shop with all required replacement parts*.

Replaced Defective Drive Clutch with New clutch, aligned engine and torqued motor mounting bolts, installed High Altitude Kit * (For Over 5000 ft). Installed new guide bolts into handle housing, correctly aligned yoke roller bearing. Unit now works correctly and all customer's issues have been covered. Unit was tested and now works/runs properly."

After reading that, I started thinking that maybe the assembler had a really bad day or something. I'm looking forward to giving the splitter a workout this weekend!

*Note: DR doesn't normally pay for pickup/delivery to the repair shop. They also don't usually pay for a high altitude jet adjustment. I see their doing so as 'going above and beyond' for customer satisfaction.

DR splitter may be fixed thank I may have mest up getting it

Will my rack & pinion gears need to be replaecd. Call DR thay sent me the parts. Instald and a just. It chadders and will not split. Call DR now it is in thar repair shop and thay will not get to it for a week are two. I thank I shoud have got a Super Spliter HD. o will.

Will my rack & pinion gears need to be replaecd. Call DR thay sent me the parts. Instald and a just. It chadders and will not split. Call DR now it is in thar repair shop and thay will not get to it for a week are two. I thank I shoud have got a Super Spliter HD. o will.

See the pics of my problems in this thread. You probably have a bend in the linkage...it will all need to be replaced if that is the case. DR will know all the part #'s you need. I have attached the parts list as well...see highlighted.View attachment 295474

...I have attached the parts list as well...see highlighted.View attachment 295474

That PDF is very helpful to anyone with this issue, thanks Mack.

Update: The repaired splitter works much better than it did originally. However, there still some problematic areas. I did a video of it in use to give everyone an idea of how it works in 'real life'. I'm having issues with my editing software right now so that has been delayed. Once I have it on youtube I'll post again with observations to correlate to the video and ask for feedback from users of the RapidFire and the SuperSplit.

'Real Life' video of the repaired DR RapidFire Log Splitter PRO-XL

The VideoReDo team came through for me so the video is uploading now! :clap:

DR RapidFire Log Splitter PRO-XL - YouTube

This is the first time I used the splitter after getting it back from the shop. It arrived with some serious quality control issues. You can see the related pictures a few posts back.

DR RapidFire owners: Would you let me know if my machine works compared to yours?
SuperSplit owners: Does your splitter perform/sound/act like my DR? If not, how is it different?

The highlights:

02:30 - Setup chatter stops and splitting starts! :rock:
10:02 - I had to push the ram back by hand.
11:36 - I had to push it back again. (This happened more frequently during the 2nd hour of splitting.)
17:20 - This is what SHOULD happen if the handle is still fully engaged when the ram is fully extended.
23:17 - The 'rattle' I talked about is back again. The sound wasn't coming from the shroud. It was slightly different from what I originally heard from the clutch area.
28:17 – This is when the most significant 'kick back' on the handle happened (While recording). Yes, it really did kick that hard. If that is normal performance, they need to change the design.

Some improvements I hope DR (or a competitor) will consider:

1. Standard receiver hitch option. It is too heavy to effectively move by hand unless you are on level ground. If your property has a slope or hill...no offense but you are screwed. Also, if you are a 'regular' guy you might not have an ATV. I'll do a video of the current ordeal the next time I move the thing.
2. Independently movable front and rear 'Telescoping legs'. I'm 6'2'... at its normal height I have to bend over while using it. If they put an internal spring in tubes it could be made to move up and down with just light up or down pressure. Holes for hitch pins would keep them in place.

Last edited:
Thanks For DR INFO

THANK YOU!! Mack and Flow very helpful INFO. Mack, [I have replaced all the parts you highlighted but not #4/9/18/21 and 24. Will give the list to their repair shop, hope these parts will get it working as good as new. DR was good at getting the parts to me, but they do not know what parts it takes. After 3 times ordering I still have a splitter that will not split wood. In The Flow that was a very good video. But if my DR split wood that slow and have to hit it that many times to split firewood, DR CAN HAVE IT BACK. I will use the old splitter.

Back