Dream about this

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I thought I should post a picture of one of many large trees we have growing on our property for you guys that have big ones, (saws that is!) something to dream about giving your larger saws a workout on.

Do you reckon my 180 is up to it?

Dayummmmmmmmm what a tree,wowow

Might be able to get the bark Off!!

thats a big tree..

I say use the 180.. just keep the chain Sharp!:dizzy:

Thought you guys would be pretty impressed at those big trees. They are called Mountain Grey Gums & there are quite a few of them growing along the wet gullies at the rear of our property.

I wont be cutting any of those monsters for firewood as my 2 other saws are a 032 av & an MS 390. Even too big for those saws!

Besides the Cockatoos, Owls, Wedge Tail eagle & Yellow Belly gliders (a type of gliding possum) all call them home so I wouldn't want to upset the local wildlife.

What kind of tree is it??the only thing in the states that large is redwood!

The trees in the photo are Mountain Grey Gum.

About 1 KM up the road from me there are Mountain Ash growing which are even bigger! Mountain Ash are the tallest flowering plants in the world. They are also reputed to be the tallest hardwoods in the world. The only taller trees than them are the Californian Redwoods or Sequoia.
Not sure which of the two are taller but I have travelled over to California to see em both.

Pretty awsome!

The trees in the photo are Mountain Grey Gum.

About 1 KM up the road from me there are Mountain Ash growing which are even bigger! Mountain Ash are the tallest flowering plants in the world. They are also reputed to be the tallest hardwoods in the world. The only taller trees than them are the Californian Redwoods or Sequoia.
Not sure which of the two are taller but I have travelled over to California to see em both.

Pretty awsome!

Can I come play in YOUR yard? Take a big mouth or a big saw to chew that much gum! :clap::clap:

The mountain ash we have over here (European and American mountainash) are tiny in comparison to your description. Your 180 would eat up any of the ones over here.

Can I come play in YOUR yard? Take a big mouth or a big saw to chew that much gum! :clap::clap:

The mountain ash we have over here (European and American mountainash) are tiny in comparison to your description. Your 180 would eat up any of the ones over here.

I probably should use the Botanical names for the 2 trees I am talking about to avoid confusion about the species because other countries often call some of their trees by local names that are similar.

Mountain Ash (Eucalyptus regnans)
Mountain Grey gum (Eucalyptus cypellocarpa)

As for playing in my yard. If you do you might screw up your saw on the nail I left in the tree that I hung my saw on for the photo!

He didnt show the top..
theres two hobbits sitting up there..
thats "treebeard" ..

I probably should use the Botanical names for the 2 trees I am talking about to avoid confusion about the species because other countries often call some of their trees by local names that are similar.

Mountain Ash (Eucalyptus regnans)
Mountain Grey gum (Eucalyptus cypellocarpa)

As for playing in my yard. If you do you might screw up your saw on the nail I left in the tree that I hung my saw on for the photo!

Totally different genus. Not surprising when it comes to common or colloquial names of trees/plants and such.

The American mountainash is Sorbus americana. The European mountainash is Sorbus aucuparia.

Who cares about nails in trees? I've never been in Australia. The trip alone would be worth nicking the cutters on a few chains. :D :D

Except for those damn snakes. I HATE poisonous snakes!

I dream of new T&A every night but if big trees is your gig I guess there's nothing wrong with that.

That's a sexy tree. Thanks for sharing.:hmm3grin2orange:

Who cares about nails in trees? I've never been in Australia. The trip alone would be worth nicking the cutters on a few chains. :D :D

Except for those damn snakes. I HATE poisonous snakes!

Thanks for the botanical names of the trees you were talking about. I looked em up on the internet & yep totally different genus.

Well I guess the nail in the tree is the least of your worries if you don't like snakes. Had a 1 metre long Tiger snake not far from where I took that photo of the tree. It was Easter time & me & one of the dads were hiding eggs in the forest for all the kids to go hunting for in the forest & there he was right in front of us!

Actually the media create a paranoia of snakes to the general public. I have encountered hundreds of snakes in my travels & let me tell you they only bite as a last resort when cornered. A lot of travellers tales become grossly exagerated when they come across snakes over here.

He didnt show the top..
theres two hobbits sitting up there..
thats "treebeard" ..

Actually its a Koala. Well not in that photo anyway!
The Koalas love the new shoots on the Mountain Grey gums & we often see them browsing in the younger trees at our place.

In fact we will shortly be training them in the safe practice of chainsaw use so that we can drink beer while they collect the firewood for us. On an earlier post Ed posted a photo of a Koala with a chainsaw but unfortunatly he was holding the wrong brand saw. Anyway we got that sorted so they will be fully trained on the STIHL brand.

Thanks for the botanical names of the trees you were talking about. I looked em up on the internet & yep totally different genus.

Well I guess the nail in the tree is the least of your worries if you don't like snakes. Had a 1 metre long Tiger snake not far from where I took that photo of the tree. It was Easter time & me & one of the dads were hiding eggs in the forest for all the kids to go hunting for in the forest & there he was right in front of us!

Actually the media create a paranoia of snakes to the general public. I have encountered hundreds of snakes in my travels & let me tell you they only bite as a last resort when cornered. A lot of travellers tales become grossly exagerated when they come across snakes over here.

My love/hate/obsession over poisonous snakes has nothing to do with media sensationalism. My whole life I've been as much drawn to them as repelled by them.

Man, planting Easter eggs for the kids to go poking around in tiger snake territory. At least most of our poisonous snakes have rattles on their tales so we get warning most of the time. :dizzy:

One of the reasons I love living in the boreal forest is . . .

THERE

ARE

NO

POISONOUS

SNAKES!

Latest posts

Back