Drilling out the bar's oil hole

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
90%, I run a 24" Forester Platinum bar on my 461. With the oiler at max the chain seems to be dry all the time. This morning after cleaning up the saw I drilled out the hole, and it is still small compared to other Stihl bars, but a big improvement all the same. Running the saws tip against a clean surface, it was slinging oil like I expect. Finally!!! :)

One size larger then what fit easily. Other then that I did not bother to look at its Size. I just wanted to make it larger and see the effects. Next time I cut, I will then decide whether or not to go larger.
If it still seems to be insufficiently oiling, you might want to modify the cupped end of the oil pump worm gear. I modified the gear on my 029 so I didn't burn my new bar!

Curious about this oil pump moding.
I have a 461R. Just put a new HO pump, wom gear, line & pickup in it & still not satified with how much oil it puts out.
My ms 250 puts out more bar oil.

Two very different oil pumps between the 461 and 029, the HO oil pump is about as good as it gets for the 461, the eccentric on the pump bolt end could be modified but I wouldn`t think it could make that much more oil delivery.

I followed the steps in this thread from the *********. I only modded the cup end of the pump shaft. I thought the mods to the cam end were risky, because I couldn't determine if the shaft was case hardened for wear resistance.
http://************/threads/stihl-044-oiler-mod.9271/

I apologize to the Mods if posting this is a policy violation....(new-guy Dufas).

Does the oil flow better after the diesel flush? I'm going to try this soon.

Depends how many critters you got clogging things up. Sometimes it flows pretty clean. I bought a used saw that pushed out all kinds of crud. I new oil line and pickup are not expensive so I swap those out from time to time.

Stihl's are oil stingy........especially the newer ones. If you are running a bar on the long side, I think you will benefit from the mod. I've seen lots of Stihl bars that are burned brown in the sweet spot from inadequate oiling!

Flow better, yes, but I imagine it would have a harder time sticking to the chain.
I flush my oil reservoir with diesel and run my saws without a bar once in a while.

It probably does, though I haven't noticed. It doesn't make a nasty mess like if using engine oil or something like that. I just add maybe 2-3 cups to a gallon of bar oil. I don't come home smelling like diesel from it either... not that I'm wearing my Sunday suit at work though!

Stihl's are oil stingy........especially the newer ones. If you are running a bar on the long side, I think you will benefit from the mod. I've seen lots of Stihl bars that are burned brown in the sweet spot from inadequate oiling!
Funny you say that, completely what I thought on my 441. I buy and sell all sorts and grades of saws and I just acquired a Poulan PR5020 with a 20" bar (pictured below) and was SHOCKED at how well this thing oiled. Slung it off the tip like crazy. Very impressed at how well it worked and non adjustable.
6f9954363f17a05b2c8cf5d2a49764bf.jpg
4897f0e9805df9750a2ccca8b56da8e5.jpg

Back