drilling woodland pro bar

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IyaMan

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
(This will be re-posted in the "chainsaw" forum as it applies to both)

I was curious about the durability and strength of WoodlandPro bars. I got the bar with a husky saw from Baileys, and its a "Powermax RSN" large mount, .050. It has a separate nose section (as in, its not all one piece). Its fairly new, about a month old.

I ask this because I am attaching a Granberg mill. At first I noticed that the screw pinches against the bar with the mill were marking the bar (digging in hardly a millimeter) and I thought it strange to be so soft to make such marks.... or maybe it was just me scoring the paint layer?.

Then a couple days ago I did a modification on the mill and drilled a hole through the center of the sprocket. I put in an 8mm hole (a bit less than 3/8 inch). To say the least, it drilled through much easier than expected. Now from researching here, I expected the bar to be pretty tough, especially the nose. People have said "use only carbide tip" or "use a concrete bit" and of course "use plenty of lubricant oil poured on while drilling". I will say I did use my drill press and knocked it down to the lowest drill speed (highest torque) setting, but I had none of the trouble anyone else mentioned. Definitely not "just about melted my bit".

Certainly it was hard metal, but my cheapo drill bit which came in a $10 set of 13 different sized bits (I think it says it made of 'colbolt alloy') had little of the trouble I imagined going through.

Are other people's bars made of adamantium or something? Why would anyone even consider using a concrete bit? (I can barely drill through soft-wood with one of them) And though I've used lubricant with high speed precision bits, whenever doing bigger holes (over 3mm or 1/8") I've never use oil unless its more than 3/4" deep (18mm). On wider holes I just slow the drill speed down and let the bit do its business on its own without forcing it. Never had any unmanageable issues (though I do freehand sharpen bits now and then on my grinder).

Or is my WoodlandPro bar particularly soft? Granted this isn't a Shindaiwa hard nosed bar, but I was expecting a bit more resistance. Has anyone had much long-term durability trouble with WoodlandPro bars? Bending/warping issues? Sprocket malfunction? Uneven wear or deformation? Any input welcome. Thanks.

I drilled a 42" Hurricane Pro bar for my homebrew mill, and found that, while the bar itself was easy enough to drill (slightly tougher than doing holes in regular steel), going through the centre of the sprocket was *ridiculously* hard. There was a 6mm hole that I ended up putting an M6 bolt through, rather than the M8 I intended, because Terrible Things happened to the cobolt 8mm bit I was drilling with. Perhaps that's what everyone refers to when they're talking about that sort of thing?

Some bars a definitely softer than others and can be even drilled with a cheap HSS bit.
Some manufacturers harden the whole bar and extra harden the rails, and some only harden the rails.
The nose hardness also varies - some have a soft bar and only the inner bearing race is hard or super hard.

Back