Drive link question

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

plinker

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hi all,
Ive been lurking for a while, finally getting around to posting.

Question;
With a 16" bar and 7 tooth spline rim how many drive links are there?
The chain is 3/8(.375) .050ga, the saw is a stihl 028AV.

Thanks!

plinker said:
Hi all,
Ive been lurking for a while, finally getting around to posting.

Question;
With a 16" bar and 7 tooth spline rim how many drive links are there?
The chain is 3/8(.375) .050ga, the saw is a stihl 028AV.

Thanks!

I think my 026 with a 16 takes 60 dl but I may be confused, as I have so many bars. I wish dl count was standard between bar and saw manufacturers.

Unless that saw is a special case when in doubt you can go to an online catalog like baileys-online.com and look at bars for dl info.

Last edited:
Welcome to ArboristSite

The link count is determined by the bar manufacturer. Most bars will have the number of links and gage of the chain required stamped on them. Post the bar part# if this nomenclature is not present and someone should be able to give you an exact drive link count that you need. You can also count the number of drive links on an existing chain if you have one that fits your saw and bar.:chainsaw:

I'm kinda starting from scratch with this as I dont have the bar & chain on hand yet.
My Dad has a MS290 with a 16" bar and I belive it has 60 drive links.
So I'm guessing it would be the same but am not 100% sure.

The bar is a GB pro cut power tip (dont have the exact #) The rim would be a oregon power mate.

I have been using a stihl 16" bar .325 w/ 67DL's(but that was before my crank sheared off, bars still good though, fixing the saw).

Reason for the 3/8 bar is the chain would be more common around here if I didnt have any .325 chain on hand.

Latest posts

Back