Drive Sprocket Pics

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A general rule of thumb is to
replace one sprocket for every
two chains, one bar for every
two sprockets and every four
chains (4=2=1).
4 chains
2 sprockets
1 bar

Oregon say the same, but it is a very rough approximation - as a lot of factors enter the picture......:)

My experience is that most bars and rims last a good bit longer than that rule indicates, but it may be closer to the truth with longer bars and chains.

Last edited:
HmmmmmmI guess its time for a new bar and sprocket on that Poulan 25, I have hanging in the rafters then huh? I bet its gone through a roll or two of chain already!:jawdrop:

Sprocket on the left is knackered, wouldn't take long before the chain breaks thru and jams solid in the worn grooves, this one is possibly worn more than .020, of course the sprocket is chewing the chain too, rounding off the bottoms and the whole chain flinging off infuriatingly at the touch of small twigs, two or three chains to a sprocket is about right, the sprockets as soft as marshmallows, good money spinner for factory spare-parts ripoff incorporated, a bar lasting a whole lot more than 3 chains though, you can triple or quadruple that, the bar tip usually history first from damage, but then only from poor technique, and by the time the nose sprocket is genuinely worn enough to jam the chain you may as well buy a whole new bar and be done with it because who can be bothered swapping over bar tips in real life anyway
spw.jpg

Latest posts

Back