Driveway Blocks with grass

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stump Man

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I'm trying to find driveway blocks that you plant grass in the openings. I want to make a side driveway to my shop to only use once in a while. I have seen these blocks someplace. Thanks in advance

One kind is called Paverstone. Many other plants can grow in the openings besides grass.

I've seen some of these products, and they are not any cheaper then a regular drive. The need the same engeneered underlayment and then are are more susceptable to drought stresses.

What you escentilly have are pockets in which to plant the grass in on the driveway.

Have you concidered woodchip?:D

Originally posted by John Paul Sanborn
Have you concidered woodchip?:D
I did, and they eventually all rotted. Compost happens, jps!
Rocky's point about transport cost make sense, but some natl co.'s may have local mfr/distributors.

Drought stress is worse if underlayment is too sandy/recommend structual soil, or at least mix some clay and OM in there.

There should be a local distributor, if not there's tons of manuf's that make concrete pavers nowadays and most would have a smiliar type product.
And JPS is right about the cost, would end up being alot more than a regular drive. I believe the base is laid the same as regular pavers too which would have a 6" compacted road base material but a 1" sand bed on top, if the gaps are filled with topsoil and could root down into the sand it might not do too bad? Mondo grass may be a good alternative.

paverstone alternative

I installed a product about ten years ago similar to the concrete paverstone however it was made of plastic. The company use to advertise showing a firetruck driving over a turf area where there product was installed. I remember it being approximately 2 inches thick and it came in panels approx. 16" x 48". They locked together so you could make any size you like. It looked like a honeycomb. I'm drawing a blank on the products name or manufacturer however I'm sure a landscape supply center in your area could trace it down. If this interest you and you can't get anywhere with it locally let me know and I can make a call to get you in touch with a supplier. They are definately alot lighter than a concrete alternative.

Back