Drooping Maple leaves

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mallanf

Reaction score
Last year I planted one large Sugar Maple (12 - 14'), one clump red maple and a couple of smaller red maples and one norway maple. All of them "leafed" out this spring, but the leaves have become droopy and unhealthy looking except for the Norway. The sugar maple particularly looks unhealthy with the leaves drooping and wilted, and browning. The red maples are also drooping but not as discolored.

Any ideas what might be causing this? We did have a cold snap about a week ago, with temps going down to about 30 at night. It's been a bit dry, but I've kept them watered.

Any suggestions or ideas? Do they need fertilizer or something else? Is our soil difficult for them (it's very clay-like). Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Check the info on buying, planting and mulching in the link below.

Post a picture?

Thanks for the info

Thanks for the reference to the treesaregood site. I don't believe I have any gross violation here. I am posting pictures. The better leaves are from a week ago, and the more "droopy" ones are from today. We had another cold snap with it getting down to low 40's at night. Before the cold snap, we had some nice days and lots of sun and the tree seemed to be doing better.

Will the cold affect the tree this way? Is this an indication that the tree is stressed or sick? This is really a great shade tree off of our patio, and looked quite healthy when we put it in. Thanks for any further ideas.

Mark

What kind of soil was it planted in? Can you get it tested--contact your ag ext agent. Legacy is said to do well in MN. I still think the problem is below the ground.

Soil

I'm actually in Illinois, although I was born and rasied in MN. The soil is on the "clay" side of things, somewhat easily compacted. The lot was used for farming, but the soil goes claylike after just a few inches. I will look into getting it tested.

Anything particular I'd be looking for? What could be done if there was a soil problem? Thanks.

mark

mallanf said:
Anything particular I'd be looking for?

pH, CEC and nutrient levels, for starters.

What could be done if there was a soil problem?

This is spelled out in the Treatment sheet.

drooping leaves on red maple

Hi, I too have the same drooping leaves on my maple. I planted years ago and it has grown without any issues until this year. The soil has been tested and is exceptional but the weather here hasn't been as warm and when it gets warm it's hot for 3-4 days then raining again. Would this weather do this to my tree? The leaves are only drooping on the top 5ft. I'm in southern BC, Canada.

It's best to start your own thread w/ pics, don't want to be labeled a necroposter.

When only the upper crown is wilting I would be looking for a vascular disruption or root issue.

Back