Drowned 372

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

disner

Reaction score
Hello all, been lurking on here for a long time but never joined until now. I live in Fort Myers FL and recently had everything in my garage under about 4ft of water from the gulf. I’ve had this 372 for about 15yrs and would really like to save it. I usually maintain my own stuff but with everything going on I don’t have time to mess with it. I’m not familiar with any small engine repair shop local and would like to send it somewhere that will go through it and make sure it’s got a clean bill of health. Thought I may as well have it modded a little too while it’s torn down. I’ve googled for a day and haven’t come up with much. Is there a list of shops that can do the work. I called one already and they were too far behind to mess with a saw that needed as much work as mine.
Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks,
Dave

Drain tanks and refill with fresh fluids both mix and chain oil.
take filter off and plug out and pull over to get rid of any water. Try starting saw and get it running.
you don’t want to leave it unrun after coming from flood.
you will have no damage if you get it running for 5 min.
the water will do damage if you let it sit unrun- crank bearings will get rusty

Drained all fluids. Saw was under water for a couple hours. I filled an old trash can with salt off and soaked the saw in that to stop the corrosive effects of the salt water. I had a raw aluminum piece in my toolbox and it looks like it’s been in the ocean for years.
Anyway, took the saw out of the salt off and drained all the water again. Pulled the plug and filled cylinder with denatured alcohol to drive the water out. Sprayed the carb and cylinder with penetrating oil real good and let it sit a day. Used alcohol again to remove the oil from cylinder and reassembled. Pulled a couple times and grey matter came out the decmop release and jammed the plug full too. Motor felt hydra locked a couple times when trying to pull it. I think the crankcase is full of water and oil mix and that’s what came out the decomp button.
For what it’s worth I’ve got the generator running that was in the same situation. Generator head is toast though. Had a 67 mustang, ktm 450, Lincoln welder and 10’s of thousands in hand and power tools to go through.
Thanks for the replies,
Dave

Bar oil didn’t have any water nor did the fuel tank from what I could see. They seemed to be sealed tight. The saw was a little dirty when I put it away, had just cut down a big oak tree in the yard before the hurricane and the oil soaked wood chips really helped protect the outside of the power head.

Bar oil didn’t have any water nor did the fuel tank from what I could see. They seemed to be sealed tight. The saw was a little dirty when I put it away, had just cut down a big oak tree in the yard before the hurricane and the oil soaked wood chips really helped protect the outside of the power head.
Pull the piston to TDC and (if possible) use an air chuck to blow the it out. Rinse it with some mineral spirits until they come out pretty clean and run it would be my thoughts.

Hate to say this but that salt water exposure is gonna cause you all kinds of problems. Especially the electrical components. Wire is basically a wick with a plastic coating. If it were me, I’d tear that saw down completely and do a full rebuild. After flushing everything with hot fresh water of course. Gotta get that salt off of it.

Wash it off with a parts cleaner. . Pull the muffler , spark plug and maybe carb if you can. Put 2 stroke mixed gas in a fruit tree sprayer. Go out it the yard and hose out every hole you can find. . You need to get oil into the crank case and piston. Hang it up in the sun to dry.

Reassemble and hopefully you can get it started. Just let it idle , make sure it's oiling.

It's your case bearings I would be concerned about. You need 2 stroke oil in there

Fort Myers? First off, Wow. You guys really got hit.

Regarding the saw, a 15yo saw. IMO you got better things to think about. Get everything else in order, and when you are ready to deal with the saw, go buy a new one. Good Luck!

Fort Myers? First off, Wow. You guys really got hit.

Regarding the saw, a 15yo saw. IMO you got better things to think about. Get everything else in order, and when you are ready to deal with the saw, go buy a new one. Good Luck!
Yeah we got hammered. Yeah and no. Not much to do until the adjuster comes around. I hate to throw the saw away. Dumb sentimental value, my late father got it for me when I bought my first house up north.
I don’t want to work on it I just want to send it somewhere that can repair it. I searched my area and the only husqvarna places that really show up are lowes and Home Depot. The original post I just wanted to know who to send it to that was trusted on this site. I knew it was screwed when I tried to crank it over and it was hydro locked after drying the cylinder out. I could really use it right now to cut the boats out of the trees. Lol

I took 15 min break to unwind from throwing everything away and take a peek inside. Probably a good thing it didn’t fire up even if it could.

Attachments

• 9A920BDD-9EC1-49F9-B4FF-C7BE513EE1AD.jpeg
    9A920BDD-9EC1-49F9-B4FF-C7BE513EE1AD.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 1
  • 810EDD23-CF3F-4B3C-BFFD-0F7772B8B7D1.jpeg
    810EDD23-CF3F-4B3C-BFFD-0F7772B8B7D1.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
  • 26642AF0-CBB7-4B37-836F-242018EEAA85.jpeg
    26642AF0-CBB7-4B37-836F-242018EEAA85.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
Working on chainsaw is pretty simple for most mechanically inclined. Not so much for most on this site. If your willing to send it, send it to Ironhorse via Billy Buckin Ray Smith. Guys gots some mean saws via IHorse.

Yeah we got hammered. Yeah and no. Not much to do until the adjuster comes around. I hate to throw the saw away. Dumb sentimental value, my late father got it for me when I bought my first house up north.
I don’t want to work on it I just want to send it somewhere that can repair it. I searched my area and the only husqvarna places that really show up are lowes and Home Depot. The original post I just wanted to know who to send it to that was trusted on this site. I knew it was screwed when I tried to crank it over and it was hydro locked after drying the cylinder out. I could really use it right now to cut the boats out of the trees. Lol

I took 15 min break to unwind from throwing everything away and take a peek inside. Probably a good thing it didn’t fire up even if it could.
I live up in North Port. I was blessed not to have suffered flood damage. Feel free to message me. I can get your saw taken care of for you.

Working on chainsaw is pretty simple for most mechanically inclined. Not so much for most on this site. If your willing to send it, send it to Ironhorse via Billy Buckin Ray Smith. Guys gots some mean saws via IHorse.
That Iron Horse guy is a complete hack. Shame on Billy for pumping his crap.
And what ever you do dont send that guy your saw.

Are you serious? Do you know what you are talking about?
That guy is a joke... no idea what he is doing.

Gonna have a lot of new parts in that one mate. Can see just how bad the crankcase is. Thats just crappy. I get the sentimental thing, but honestly you'll have 2/3 the cost of a new saw in that one. Just gonna guess its gonna need a crank, or at lead the cranks gonna need split to replace the bottom bearing. (Don't know many that will do that. Just easier to replace the crank at that point.) If you got the time, I'd do my best to clean all that crud out and see how the bearing all feel, but if personally replace them. Looks like rhe flywheel is pretty corroded as well. Idk man I was hoping it would be OK, but man it's just full of crud. I'd really be telling that adjuster to count it to be replaced if possible.

I'd suggest rinsing it completely out with diesel or kerosene until all the water/ oil slurry is gone then evaluate what is going on.

Are you serious? Do you know what you are talking about?
That guy is a joke... no idea what he is doing.
Taking another look at the pictures, that saw is phooked. Don't know ironhorse, but I am impressed with bucking's saws. Personally I wouldn't send my saws across the street. If I can't fix it, its phooked.

Taking another look at the pictures, that saw is phooked. Don't know ironhorse, but I am impressed with bucking's saws. Personally I wouldn't send my saws across the street. If I can't fix it, its phooked.

Ironhorse is an old bullshitter that doesn't have a clue what he's doing. On top of that he is a complete hack. On top of that he has been known to screw people over on deals.
Billy's saws have never been that impressive to me, but I haven't watched the guy much because I can't stand is "nice Canadian" persona. It's nauseating.

Back