DRT Blakes trouble

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Diesel JD

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
Hey guys, I am trying to get good at climbing with a Blakes hitch on DRT. Tonight I had a real problem getting the Blakes to advance along the rope. I'm wondering if it could be that the rope I was using binds too tightly to itself to make the Blake's effective. I know what you all do for a living is no walk in the park, and that tree climbing is supposed to be a workout, but I also know that Blakes ought to slide pretty freely when no load is on it, and it binded way too much and too tight. Next, I'm going to try some slicker, but still similar rope to make my Blakes. I have added a couple of photos of how I tie a Blakes and I was wondering if you all could tell me if I'm screwing up or if it looks liek it should work. The ropes are New England Safety Blue 1/2" (Climbing Rope) and Samson Arbor Plex for the Balkes. Thanks for looking!
J.D.

Dan, I learned it form there. I have tied it many many times praticing, although that doesn't guarantee I did it right this time. I'll try and get a pic of teh backside Dean. Edit: I attached three more pics. It is tied as instructed on animatedknots, 4 turns around the climbing rope, back around the standing part, then through the bottom 2 of the 4 turns, then pulled tight. I know I omitted teh stopper knot, but I thought it was noi big deal since this is just for practice. Normally I would use an overhand or figure 8 as the stopper.

The angle of your pics is the problem!

When you are climbing on the Blakes the "bar" of the knot is usually facing you and your thumb can "open or close" (tighten or loosen) the bar.

The bar is the section of rope that come from above the 4 coils down under your and tucks thru 2 loops on LH side of climbing line.

attachment.php

When things get too tight loosen it a bit with your thumb.

Ekka, that is how I have it. I didn't know that you could add/reduce tension with that bar(again I'm a bit ignorant of rope climbing techniques). Maybe I should have gotten one of the ropes that isn't the three strand, but again, at this point I am not in the industry and climb only a time or two a week, so I just wanted something that was rated for life support, but still cheap. I really feel secure on the three strand. Can I reduce friction by using something such as the Arbor Plex for my Blakes or is the friction still going to be super high just because the climbing rope is three strand?

Doesn't matter whether you're a pro climber or not, get yourself on a 16-strand rope, there's no need to suffer the 3-strand. You can use the 3-strand to do some light rigging, it won't go to waste and you'll be much happier!
-moss

Latest posts

Back