Drying wood

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FarmerSid

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Hey All! I have my 5 cords of wood stored inside my basement under a non heated sun room.I have a insulated door separating this room from the rest of the basement. The wood was cut, split and stacked outside on skids with the ends facing into the westerly winds since late February. I just finished filling my wood room. Would putting a dehumidifier in the wood room to help out drying the wood? It is all mixed Ash, Elm and Oak.

Most dehumidifers will only work down to 50F or so, then they just ice up. If there's no heat in there, try it now before it gets real cold. It sounds like you have good dry wood though, I wouldn't pay the $$$$$$$ to run that thing very long, it's as bad as an air conditioner.

I agree, I ran a dehumidifier a couple years ago to help dry my wood in the basement and the light bill really shot up. I am a fanatic about the light bill so that didn't happen again.

Trying to dry wood where the sun can't hit it and also where the wind can't blow through it, is difficult at best.

why do you need to dry out the wood, seems to me nature will do it for ya, waste of electricity

So a dehumidifier uses almost or as much hydro as A/C? Didn't realize that. The only reason I'm doing this is that our summer was a wet one and am worried that the oak will not be dry enough. I've had my furnace fired up a bunch of times and there is a shiney black coat about the thickness of paint around the door opening already.

Your problem is no heat and no ventilation. I think that wood could actually pick up moisture.

I stash about six cords in the cellar, however it is all pretty close to the furnace (wood) which heats the cellar whether I like it or not and it is also pretty drafty (old house). Wood dries quite well over the course of a winter.

Your problem is no heat and no ventilation. I think that wood could actually pick up moisture.

I stash about six cords in the cellar, however it is all pretty close to the furnace (wood) which heats the cellar whether I like it or not and it is also pretty drafty (old house). Wood dries quite well over the course of a winter.

+1

Latest posts

Back