Dumb question about the modded saws?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thats just a muffler mod though.

the first three are...

The muffler modification entailed 5 steps.

1 stock
2 stock muffler redrill existing outlet to 7/16 and add one 7/16 hole
3 add one more 7/16 hole
4 join 3 holes and square opening to 7/16 x 1.5 inch plus file back and open deflector angle.
5 match exaust port to muffler

Exaust port matched and smoothed
---------------------------------------------

RPM 14050 +4.4%
Idle sound level 89.9 db +12.1% NC
Max sound level 103.0 db +6.1% NC
Idle temp muffler 54 C -18.6% NC
Idle temp head 51 C -17.6%
Cycle test temp muffler 82C -45.2% NC
Cycle test temp head 61C -11.5% NC
3 cut test temp muffler 143C -28.0% NC
3 cut test temp head 83C -26.5%

3 cut test time 6.7 sec -26.8%

uummmmm??

Ok summery of my point:
The cyl head is shown here (and by others) to run cooler when ported, therefore the increase power output does not necessarily mean more wear on the p/c.

Does this make sense?

Ok summery of my point:
The cyl head is shown here (and by others) to run cooler when ported, therefore the increase power output does not necessarily mean more wear on the p/c.

Does this make sense?

Well, maybe, who can say for sure. Your also turning more rpms, wouldn't that wear the P/C faster, I think so. My ported 394 is turning 14,500rpm, stock is 12,500.

Couldn't tell ya. Can you say for sure? Slightly less? I dought that saw is producing 30% more power. Also that's only 1 saw. Who's to say they all respond the same??????

His cut time was 26.8% better with that mod.

I am sure they do not all respond the same but if done right i think most saws could run cooler when ported..

Well, maybe, who can say for sure. Your also turning more rpms, wouldn't that wear the P/C faster, I think so. My ported 394 is turning 14,500rpm, stock is 12,500.

i would think that the rpms are balanced out by the temp diff but i do not know.

In the real world if a saw is modded somewhat to produce a faster more powerful saw, would you expect to get the same hours out of it as one that hasn't been modded? I'm not talking about changing to different parts, but working over the original piston, cylinder, and muffler to improve performance.

:chainsawguy:

Rod bearings and crank bearings are what fails fatally on the "modified" saws that I have seen. The pistons tend to get slap happy fast as well and to an exaggerated appearance. I do not see many "professionally modified" saws as most around here would not pay someone to do it. There are some that show up with special initials or fancy names now and again.

Whatever, make it go faster and you will get to the end sooner. What happens on the journey is more about skills, chains and maintenance than an extra 1000+RPM. None of the utility/gov contractors will run anything other than stock because of the fines. They will actually bring in saws for new spark arresters and cracked mufflers.

Whatever, make it go faster and you will get to the end sooner. What happens on the journey is more about skills, chains and maintenance than an extra 1000+RPM. None of the utility/gov contractors will run anything other than stock because of the fines. They will actually bring in saws for new spark arresters and cracked mufflers.

i agree.

the end of the cut? Heck yeah!!! the end of the saw??? now we can argue that... even though i tend to agree even though i think that it really is not that big of a factor.

i think we agree that a dull chain is good for nothing, I see modding as sharpening your engine. No you don't run race chains is the woods, or carbide at a GTG

Dought it. It's not just about heat. Your producing more HP out of the same CC, its going to strain everything more. The saw will not last as long.

I know how you see it. It makes sense.

But am arguing that it is not necessarily the case.

Latest posts

Back