Dump trailer addition

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have 2006 450 Ford power stroke its a custom made 12 ft roll back dump. I pull a 10000 12 ft dump trailer for a big load but most of the time if I can I back up to the tree cut the logs 8 ft long and drag them up on the truck I'm set up has saved me many man hours and sore back. If I go to town to get a load of logs I take the dump trailer get a load of gravel. If I own a trail all axles will have brakes. I do a little drive way patch work once in a while saves me that 40 mile trip. Later

The used diesel market around here is out of control so when I found a truck at a reasonable price I jumped on it. But, this isn't about trucks.

The one thing that bugs me about the PJ is the pump powers up and powers down with no gravity down. Not a big deal except you use battery both ways.

The used diesel market around here is out of control so when I found a truck at a reasonable price I jumped on it. But, this isn't about trucks.

The one thing that bugs me about the PJ is the pump powers up and powers down with no gravity down. Not a big deal except you use battery both ways.

It's my thread, we can talk about whatever we wanna! Especially trucks!

I hear ya though, I bought my truck 3 years ago and I haven't put 5000 miles a year on it since. It has 111XXX miles on it as we just got home from getting the trailer. And it's an 01.5 model year.

I stole it for $10k. I literally could sell it for $15k tomorrow. Around here, high school kids with jobs or rich parents buy these trucks just to make them blow smoke and annoy folks. For instance, today while going to get the trailer, a guy in another truck like mine passes me on the highway. He floors it at ~60mph just to blow smoke because apparently just because I have a diesel as well, whoever can blow more smoke has a better truck. He proceeds to black out the lane behind him, causing the folks behind him to slow down. Total douchebaggery, all because he wanted to show me his truck smokes. Who cares? Mine does but I keep the tuner mellowed enough so it doesn't. Contrary to popular belief, you can makes tons of hp without all the smoke.

I like the power up/down. I'm going to be installing a welding cable to my truck batteries with a disconnect so if I need to, I can easily power it if the onboard battery dies. Since I haven't had time to look, does anyone know if there is a power down over-ride in case of hydraulic power unit failure when the bed is up?

Anywho, without further delay, pics!!!
0903142008a.jpg

Bottom of bed is nearly spotless! He said he didn't use it much since 07, and I'd have to agree with him!
0903142009a.jpg

You should really like your trailer. We ended up getting a deck over one because our CTL wouldn't fit in a low bed one. You can put a lot of wood on one.

You Sir, SUCK, as that is a very nice truck/trailer combo. I wanted a 4x4 Ram with a Cummins/5-6spd combo, but the ones that were in the price-range I wanted were well beyond taking a loan for (and almost needed a total mechanical overhaul from one end to the other) and the ones I could get a loan for were more $$$ than I wanted to spend on a weekend rig. I got mine right due to a farmer selling off a few to recapitalize his existing trucks and because he backed a combine into it. I'm $13,400 into it now between 8.5K to buy it, 3.5k for new stage 1 sticks, glow plugs&controller, wicked wheel II for the turbo, controller, air intake, gauges and egt port, and $320 for 2 front tires. It still needs the t-case gone through, input seal on the rear, u-joints, driver's seat rebuilt, windshield and a hood. I also want to take off the horribly overbuilt (for no effective reason) flat bed and buy/install a Cannonball flat/dump bale bed... Then I'll be fairly content. 212k on the clock and when bought it had a new front-end, turbo, pwr-steering pump, HPOP, lift-pump and sensors. It's not a Cummins, but it drags a firend's 25' flat-deck double-tandem GN with 18 big rounds nicely.
New Truck.jpg

Damn, I got my 02 with 94,000 mi That needed all 4 brakes and an oil pan for 4 grand, 5 yrs ago. Although its sucked in some cash since then. Diesels are EXPENSIVE to repair and maintain. Never have one again.

Decent looking truck though! I like 7.3 strokers, but even still, they're known for having HPOP issues. But I guess it's like 24v Cummins' and their VP44 pumps, which I replaced on my truck 2 weeks after I bought it.

Between 50hp injectors, filter and a Quadzilla programmer, I'm figuring 350ish hp and a buncha torque. Plenty of power to smoke the clutch with the programmer on stage 5 of 11 (with little smoke), so until the clutch gives up the ghost, she's staying where she's at right now.

Damn, I got my 02 with 94,000 mi That needed all 4 brakes and an oil pan for 4 grand, 5 yrs ago. Although its sucked in some cash since then. Diesels are EXPENSIVE to repair and maintain. Never have one again.

Yes, they can be expensive to maintain, but the rewards are well worth the investment to me. Mine is in need of brakes soon, and probably a whole new front end. I'm in a little different boat though, as I use mine pretty much solely for towing. I know guys that daily drive diesels and they complain at how much they cost to maintain. I wouldn't own one for a dd.

[QUOTE="stihly dan, post: 4940447, member: 79284"

Diesels are EXPENSIVE to repair and maintain. Never have one again.[/QUOTE]

That just doesn't seem very important when you haul serious loads with your truck. Sure does if you're tooling around but "when the chicks are biggins the truck best be Cummins..."

It's my thread, we can talk about whatever we wanna! Especially trucks!

I hear ya though, I bought my truck 3 years ago and I haven't put 5000 miles a year on it since. It has 111XXX miles on it as we just got home from getting the trailer. And it's an 01.5 model year.

I stole it for $10k. I literally could sell it for $15k tomorrow. Around here, high school kids with jobs or rich parents buy these trucks just to make them blow smoke and annoy folks. For instance, today while going to get the trailer, a guy in another truck like mine passes me on the highway. He floors it at ~60mph just to blow smoke because apparently just because I have a diesel as well, whoever can blow more smoke has a better truck. He proceeds to black out the lane behind him, causing the folks behind him to slow down. Total douchebaggery, all because he wanted to show me his truck smokes. Who cares? Mine does but I keep the tuner mellowed enough so it doesn't. Contrary to popular belief, you can makes tons of hp without all the smoke.

I like the power up/down. I'm going to be installing a welding cable to my truck batteries with a disconnect so if I need to, I can easily power it if the onboard battery dies. Since I haven't had time to look, does anyone know if there is a power down over-ride in case of hydraulic power unit failure when the bed is up?

Anywho, without further delay, pics!!!
View attachment 366577

Bottom of bed is nearly spotless! He said he didn't use it much since 07, and I'd have to agree with him!
View attachment 366578

Hey old man....its called "rollin coal"..:p. And at least they aint racing japanese tuner junk in the streets like the yankees do..oh wait im a yankee.....well not really more like a Met...

I've never been called an old man! Haha I'm only 26! After I blew a knee out last year, I realized I'm not 18 anymore so I've started doing and buying things to save the rest of my body before anything else gets prematurely worn out.

I won't BS anyone, I had stacks on my truck. I loved the way they sounded, for about 10 minutes. After that, you started getting a headache from the drone. The 7 hour one-way trip to St. Louis to pick up my tractor was what done it for me. I took them off when we got back, threw a 5" setup on and have never looked back.

I certainly miss down-shifting the truck and it sounding like a semi, though.

Hey old man....its called "rollin coal"..:p. And at least they aint racing japanese tuner junk in the streets like the yankees do..oh wait im a yankee.....well not really more like a Met...

Ha, I always called it farting until I saw the news article. I only did it to mass plate A holes.

I've never been called an old man! Haha I'm only 26! After I blew a knee out last year, I realized I'm not 18 anymore so I've started doing and buying things to save the rest of my body before anything else gets prematurely worn out.

I won't BS anyone, I had stacks on my truck. I loved the way they sounded, for about 10 minutes. After that, you started getting a headache from the drone. The 7 hour one-way trip to St. Louis to pick up my tractor was what done it for me. I took them off when we got back, threw a 5" setup on and have never looked back.

I certainly miss down-shifting the truck and it sounding like a semi, though.

Hey kid, i wuz just funnin wit cha..(plus im 2x your age). I get called old man all the time until we put the stacks on the bench or lace up the sneaks and go for a run...as the immortal Bill Parcells was fond to say...."this old dog can still hunt"
Enjoy it while your still young...one day you'll wake up and you wont be. Nothing wrong with using your brains more then your back. Nothing wrong with blowin off a little smoke when you're "old" either...

What state are you using that trailer in . In pa to be legit you would have to register the truck and trailer in combined and get yourself a DOT number . All big bucks . Biannual inspections and higher insurance rates

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What state are you using that trailer in . In pa to be legit you would have to register the truck and trailer in combined and get yourself a DOT number . All big bucks . Biannual inspections and higher insurance rates

They don't have to be combined in KS (yet) but the rest holds true (Unless you're running a farm tag, then it goes out the window along with personal property tax:clap:).

And I forgot the most important . Over 26000 you needs a class a cdl . Best to seriously look into. Talk to the DOT and see where you can find the info and by no means take whatever someone tells you, if you don't have it in writing from the sourest good luck when the chips are down. One dot stop could cost more than you have into your truck

They don't have to be combined in KS (yet) but the rest holds true (Unless you're running a farm tag, then it goes out the window along with personal property tax:clap:).

Man I'll have to look into getting me a few pa farm tags . We got 200 acres of mountain laurels. I wonder if I get a few goats to eat them if I qualify

Good deal, i see lots of guys pulling waaaayy too heavy trailers with f250 power strokes, sure they will pull the weight, but will it stop in a hurry ? Im not sure i wanna be the guy to find out.

I was kidding about the tacoma. .

I put a deckover trailer and a cat skid steer probably about 9500 pounds into the pass side if the bed on my 2005 f350 6.0 4 door SRW .I was driving about 10 on a muddy road. Darn near roled the truck over when it pushed the ass of the truck around . Crap goes bad fast even when going slow . I still have that truck but now tow with a 2010 dodge 3500 4dr dually. Just because it sais you can pull a defined weight don't make it smart ... If your going to pull big weight Often invest in a truck that is built to pull. If you look at a 2000 3500 and a 2010 3500 dodge you will find the much stronger frames. Huge brakes and a stout suspension over on the 2010 over the 2000

Latest posts

Back