dump trailer **** chat

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
we use a dump trailer every day to haul our equipment to the jobsite. Added bonus, if we have extra big wood we cant fit in the dump truck, we will make a run to the dump with the trailer. I've set mine up to haul 10 alturnamats in it. That way we always have them with us if we need to protect a lawn. The tiedown in the trailer keeps them in when dumping so we never take them out unless we need to use them. I can fit my Vermeer s600tx and my SC372 in the trailer with a bucket and forks as well.

One important thing people overlook when searching dump trailers is the floor construction. You want really tight spacing on your floor frame and either a 7 or 10 gauge floor. Otherwise you will washboard the heck out of the floor. As said earlier, running a dedicated wire to eliminate the need for the marine battery is helpful. We haven't done that yet as we tow it with 3 different vehicles. These trailers can be really hard on the batteries when dumping heavy loads. Some advice I was given was to unplug the wiring harness from the truck when dumping. The trailer will start searching for power when it needs it and can burn up harnesses in the truck under heavy duress.

Most dump trailers pull there power to lift from a separate battery. It is a completely closed system unless the truck is setup to charge the battery. I have had my dump trailer for yeas and new had a problem with it even when I have it so loaded that the 10k dump cylinder won't lift it. I use a high lift jack or my skid loader to help it out. The other day I had it so loaded that I had to help it lift with the skid loader almost the whole way up.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

Most dump trailers pull there power to lift from a separate battery. It is a completely closed system unless the truck is setup to charge the battery. I have had my dump trailer for yeas and new had a problem with it even when I have it so loaded that the 10k dump cylinder won't lift it. I use a high lift jack or my skid loader to help it out. The other day I had it so loaded that I had to help it lift with the skid loader almost the whole way up.

yes, of course there is a separate battery for a dump trailer. your trailer has a 6 or 7 way trailer plug, no? those extra wires are positive and negative wires that lead to the trailer's battery. They trickle charge that battery when you are operating the truck. When the trailer is strained in a dumping situation and the battery is struggling to lift the load, it will try to pull power from the truck using the small wires found in the trailer plug all the way up through the truck's wiring harness. These wires are not designed to take this stress and that is where you find the problems. Sometimes these can burn up in the truck. The trailer will however remain ok.

One of the best tricks i've learned is to get long big gauge wires to run straight from the truck's battery and put them straight onto the pump in the trailer. Connect the two when needed with a heavy duty jumper cable connection. The biggest downfall to this is that all the trucks need to be set up to run the dump trailer. Our trailer for instance may be found behind 1 of 3 trucks. Because of that we haven't opted to go this route.

yes, of course there is a separate battery for a dump trailer. your trailer has a 6 or 7 way trailer plug, no? those extra wires are positive and negative wires that lead to the trailer's battery. They trickle charge that battery when you are operating the truck. When the trailer is strained in a dumping situation and the battery is struggling to lift the load, it will try to pull power from the truck using the small wires found in the trailer plug all the way up through the truck's wiring harness. These wires are not designed to take this stress and that is where you find the problems. Sometimes these can burn up in the truck. The trailer will however remain ok.

One of the best tricks i've learned is to get long big gauge wires to run straight from the truck's battery and put them straight onto the pump in the trailer. Connect the two when needed with a heavy duty jumper cable connection. The biggest downfall to this is that all the trucks need to be set up to run the dump trailer. Our trailer for instance may be found behind 1 of 3 trucks. Because of that we haven't opted to go this route.
Actually my trailer doesn't charge off the truck.

Online. I mounted if on the top of my tool box and put a piece of plexiglass about a inch above it to protect it. It even charges the battery on a full moon night. I can not use the thing for 2 months and go hook up and dump all day long and the battery is good to go.

Online. I mounted if on the top of my tool box and put a piece of plexiglass about a inch above it to protect it. It even charges the battery on a full moon night. I can not use the thing for 2 months and go hook up and dump all day long and the battery is good to go.

Gotta Link?
I keep a battery pack on the truck. Those things are priceless. The worst thing is going to the dump with a big load and it only goes halfway up........

Was told this weekend about another service, new BIG chipper truck, they messed up the controls some how and to get it down, they have to lean over the frame rail and play with the wires under the box while it is in the air, hit it with sticks to get it down? Holy ****! Site owner told them not to come back until it is fixed. Talk about freakin dangerous.

That looks just like mine. I hardwired mine and put a piece of 1/2" plexiglass above it to protect it.

I want one of those solar chargers bass pro sells nice ones for I think $80. The factory charger is for charging a camper battery you dump 10k plus weight of the box it overloads it. Mine burnt out after 3 weeks. Might have frame extended so I can put mini or stump grinder on front then still have the whole box for wood.

Might have frame extended so I can put mini or stump grinder on front then still have the whole box for wood.

That'd be a whole lot of tounge weight. Just keep in mind you'll be over capacity with most pickup truck reciever hitches.

Latest posts

Back