dump trailer **** chat

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Initial purchase price might be similar, but the operating cost of keeping a dump truck on the road (up here) in insurance, licence sticker, e-test, safety cert. etc, is WAY higher than a dump trailer. Am planning on putting a hitch and electric connector on back of dump trailer this summer to be able to tow chipper behind dump trailer on short hauls.

Good point on the cost of running. We don't get 'trucks' like what you guys do here. When you guys say 'truck', you're often talking about stuff like F trucks and chevs or whatever, pickups. We don't get them. We've got 'utes' which are a very scaled down version of a pickup, but they come with 2 litre engines or similar, and have a capacity of a tonne or less generally. When we say 'truck', we mean cab over trucks, which are heavy vehicles with all the cost that goes with them. To tow a dump trailer of any size, you need a 'truck' in aus, in which case, you might as well just use the truck. There are small dump trailers available here, but they're real small (3-4 cubes) and pricey. You rarely see them. I did see one last year that had a 6 inch chipper mounted on it, looked like a good setup for trims but the bin was small.

Can you guys legally tow a chipper behind a trailer behind a truck over there? Wow!

I don't think here but laws are different in each state. I spent a couple of years on Ekka's forum so I feel a little knowledgeable about "utes" etc. Don't you guys still pay twice what we pay for a Stihl too? Sucks.

spent the first with my much bigger dump trailer yesterday. nice in that like a big chip box, I can accumulate from a number of small jobs and dump less often. loven (mk lovin) it already.

I see a lot of Bri-Mar around. I am a little envious of a well patina-ed dump trailer.

Before I sold my Dingo I used to fork 6.5 foot logs into the back end of my truck which wasn't as high as most trucks. When it came to loading stump grinding there was the problem, I could only get about 8 to 10 bucketfulls in then the little loader would stuff no more.

I have a pj 14' 14k gvw dump trailer it is more than handy. Buddy's are constantly asking to use it they are real easy to hand load if u buy one get the heavy spec tires not e rated they shred fast the heavy specs wear like f550 tires and don't get bubbles. Of course I would rather have a grapple truck. The dump trailer is something once u get one you'll probably always have one.

true...as for a grapple truck.... I am gonna get one but a crane and mini come first imo as you can't pick a tree or winch stuff with a grapple truck like a crane and you cannot go in land on a job to grab stuff like with a mini. Therefore the grapple truck will be useless sometimes until you have this companion equipment.

What do you load the dump trailer with. A good cheap choice if you can't afford a mini is a wrecker til you can get something else for logs. They can go on yards if the lawn is hard then back right into the dump trailer.

xqi6xi.jpg
2zrff2a.jpg
got this one last year its 12k from jpr in holly ny 5300.00

Dump trailers are a key piece of equipment. So versatile and cheap to operate. I have a 16ft, 14k, it has the ramps underneath and I can put a big machine in it. It sits kinda hi tho. I love it when I go out and do a bunch of smalls, I can run around town, knock out a bunch of jobs and throw all the garbage in it. Leaving the bucket and chipper at home. I hate lugging the big stuff around for little material. I have had a Bri Mar, B&B, Baker Built and a Big Tex, the best one was the Baker Built, but they are pretty pricey. I have the Big Tex now. The only issue with dumps, is if ya have a big load on it, ya better have someone who knows how to drive with major weight. I made this mistake this winter and was given a nicely bent axle for Christmas.

The one thing about them tho, have heard and read about several people having the battery charge hooked up, somehow, don't ask me, the wiring catches fire and has burnt up a few trucks. Not exactly sure how it would happen if done properly, but I guess it does. Something to do with the harness on the truck side, up under the back bumper, where the trailer receptacle hooks into the system.

xqi6xi.jpg
2zrff2a.jpg
got this one last year its 12k from jpr in holly ny 5300.00

Very similar to mine. So similar you gotta wonder if someone makes them for different trailer companies in one fab shop. I like the spot for the spare behind the battery/pump box on yours.

My last one had the btty/pump box opening towards the truck. Mine (and yours) open upwards and I see a prob with some dumass putting the bed down on the lid :dizzy:

Did you get the adjustable up and down hitch? I am waiting for my pintel to come in so I can take back this ball hitch which I hate.

image.jpg This pic is from not much longer after I picked mine up. I'm in the process of adding a much needed second 10k lbs axel now. It's 20' x 8' with 4' sides which is almost 24 yards.

Latest posts

Back