dump trailers

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mjs97

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
looking to buy a used dump trailer. i will pull it with chevy 1500 4x4 extended cab. would a single axle or double axle be better. not looking for something huge just a nice smaller dump trailer. 5x8 or 6x10. what other features should i look for?

anyone heard of maxi dump? i found a used one but dont know anything about them.

any help is appreciated.

matt

Borrowed one a few times, had the wheels under the box, was a tandem 6x12, with brakes on both axles, 14,000#gvw, pintle hitch, towed it with an F250SD, 5.4gas engine.

With a 1/2 ton, a 6x10 would be a bit much.

Towed well, the brakes are a must, you will feel it back there, that's for sure, especially if your truck bed is empty, kinda like the tail wagging the dog. They are nice to have, I'd not want a single axle though, and having the box between the wheels would be more stable, lower center of gravity.

Having the box over the wheels allows a loader to get closer to the box, but I haven't seen any for sale this way, all have been with wheels on the outside, brings the sides lower, easier to toss firewood into.

ON a used one, how would you test the hydraulics under load?,
---check the wheel bearings
---tires, sidewalls
---When the box comes down, it should be controllable.

Looking myself, too.

Hope some of this helps.

Last edited:
Wdchuck said it all-THE BRAKES ARE A MUST. A friend and I started hauling log lenghts on a brakeless rig. It is unbelievable how uncontrollable a "small load of wood" can get. We are going to split the cost of something that doesn't scare both of us to death at speed.

Just my two cents.

Hugenpoet

why not a single axle. i would think a 5x8 with single axle might suit me good.

thanks,
matt

took me a long while to find a 20ft tandem 7,000lb axle trailer that was affordable. brakes on both axles, if you plan on loading trailer up.

two cords of oak is pushing 12k+ lbs. add weight of trailer and you're quickly up to 17k+ lbs range. on top of brakes, a serious pulling rig is called for.

I'm pulling with a 97 12valve 3/4 ton cummin diesel truck. pulls two cords with no problems. Had three cords of hackberry loaded by a crane a few months back on my trailer. cummins truck pulled it, like a champ!

I think you are going to over load a single axle quickly. They do not tow as well as a tandem either.

You'll be getting a lot more sway with a single axle. The double axle really stablilizes. Also the ability to load more wood on it. With the higher sides of the dump trailers it won't seem like there is as much wood on the trailer as you think until it is time to pull out with the load.

Matt

I have 3 dump trailers and love them. I have 2 14x7 14k rating. One is a Foster and one is a Bri-Mar. The other is a 12x6.5 12k rating. It has the bed over the tires. These things will spoil the heck out of you. They work great for splitting wood after you haul it. You just back the trailer up to the splitter and dump the bed up. The rounds just slide right back to you. Makes it very easy. Like everyone has said brakes are a must. I'll put over 2cords or oak in the trailer it gets heavy. I would really look at what you want to do with the trailer you might be going to small. I don't know what kind of truck you have but buy the biggest trailer you can handle. Think about future trucks also. You will use this trailer all he time. The first one I had was 12x6. After the first month I wish I would have bought a bigger one. I use the trailers for delivering wood. I can throw a little over 2 cords in the trailer without stacking. My 12x6 only held 2 cord stacked. The new trailer is a big time saver because of it's size. Also think about the weight of a trailer. My 2 14x7 trailers weigh in around 5k empty. Whatever trailer you decide on you will wish you bought one sooner.

Scott

why not a single axle. i would think a 5x8 with single axle might suit me good.

thanks,
matt

You'll overload the trailer quick enough, then you blow a tire, or it tips on a curve/turn, the tongue weight will squat your 1/2ton p/u, unless you load perfectly, it just isn't worth it.

Now, if your usage is just for light duty stuff, then you'll have to be the judge on what to buy.

One other good thing about buying a tandem axle, brakes on both, the resale will be better, and you won't sit on it long. Electric brakes would be the way to go over surge, but one or the other is needed. The trailer with load will quickly outweigh your 1/2ton truck.

Here's a thought, go rent one, around here a 6x12 tandem, 10-14,000#gvw runs $100/day, and require a 2-5/16" ball on your class IV hitch. See how an empty one is drive around, then load it up to your vehicles GVWR, with an empty bed on the truck, and see what it's like. Do it on good dry roads, try out a panic stop at medium speeds.

Another thing, call your auto insurance company and ask them what your coverage handles when you are owning/towing that type of trailer. You don't want to be left out in the cold after you buy one.

Hope this helps some.

Latest posts

Back