Dump Truck Question...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ALCAN

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Need some Advise. Say you have a 1990 ish model F350 dump truck that looks rough, but runs good, and gets 6 miles to the gallon. This is your "Main Truck" that you operate out of. You go to every job with this truck. other trucks like winch truck and bucket truck/ or chipper truck, you take whenever necessary, but this truck you take everywhere.

Do you...

A. Keep it until the wheels fall off
B. Upgrade to newer truck for eye appeal and mileage reasons
C. Keep the truck and upgrade, only using it on ocassion.

A, B, or C and reason for desicion.

if it paid for keep it, it is only costing you to insure.... I went through this debate with my former biz partner that wanted to buy 3 brand new 3500's, like I told him, I can take that $600 a month payment per truck and put that $600 into each of our current trucks for 2-3 months and do some repairs and repaint them and have decient looking trucks, he said no way so I dumpped him and now I have 3 older "classics" that run like a top and look good too, example: for $600 I bought all new sheetmetal for my 79 Ford F-350 including a new grille and windsheild and had Maaco spray it, now it looks real nice and I actually get complimented on it...:pumpkin2:

id keep the truck and fix it up good thing is if you cant work for a while cause of the weather. etc you dont have to pay the payment to the bank. i have a 1969 ford f 350 chip truck it is used everyday. i made it look nice by putting a aluminum chip body on it. new truck can break down too.

B (but theres ALOT more to it then what you have listed for B)....some of my reasons:

1- No warranty
2- Already 16+ years old
3- If you look at a new or newer truck they are actually CHEAPER to run then an older truck....
4- Not going to last much longer
5- I doubt its dependability
6- I don't like running anything older then 6 years old
7- Eye appeal..what do people think whne they see that truck??

Mr Firewood...please look carefuly at what i said at number 3....you are taking $600+ dollars and spending it on OLDER equipment which then becomes a money pit and has no resale value...think about it..

1- No warranty - right, so if the alternator goes out, you pay $100 and take 30 minutes and replace it. with a new one, its going to sit in the shop parking lot a minimum of 1 day before it even goes in. why do they even have warranty? because new stuff breaks too. at least on an older truck, most issues are sorted out long ago.

2- Already 16+ years old -you can't legally touch a woman until she's 18, so whats your point? see #1, #4 and #5

3- If you look at a new or newer truck they are actually CHEAPER to run then an older truck.... -sometimes yes, sometimes no. lets call this one even, ok?

4- Not going to last much longer- says who? even throwing on a new set of fenders and doors and a paint job, and go thru the driveline, he's still much cheaper than a new truck. heck a new motor can be had (with a warranty) for the cost of a payment, 2 or 3 at the most. you're still 57 payments ahead at 60 months. not counting insurance costs of a new model.

5- I doubt its dependability- I don't. older trucks were built right and heavier duty, and built simpler. they actually last forever with a little maintence. I'd like to know why you automatically assume that an older vehicle is junk, or waiting to break down. Lots of early 80s chippers still grinding brush while 06 vermeers are sitting in the shop. there are things called parts stores, and a thing called maintence. you do the same to a new truck as you do an older one. see #6

6- I don't like running anything older then 6 years old- thats your personal choice. sounds like you just drive them until they fall apart so then yes, you will need a new one every 5-6 years. like your saw, maintain it and it will last a lifetime. try doing a little maintence on it and you will likely find that after its paid off, you still have a great truck without the big payment and actually make money. then you can take care of the other commitments you enter into instead of stringing them along and finally blowing them off. :)

7- Eye appeal..what do people think when they see that truck??- around here? they say COOL! check out that old truck! man, that thing runs sweet! boy, they sure don't make them like they used to!! no one cares what you are driving, and if they actually do, you probably dont want to work for them anyway. Most only care that your equipment looks good and functions good, and you get the job done. I have a few clients that have a million in just an extra lot they bought to keep neighbors away. funny that they keep an older truck around too, they tell me they hate to get rid of it because its never let them down, its still a good old truck. but hey, keep staying in debt for a new model if you want to. finance companies love guys like you.

-Ralph

Ralph I agree with some of what your saying...but people here & people by you are two totaly different kinds of people...a newer nice truck/equipment in many cases will land you the job here..the warranties are VERY useful, also what you obvousily don't understand is that MOST problems are fixed with the newer truck in 2 years or less so right now the years from 03-07 on the Chevy/GMC are great years & the 97-03 or 04-07 are great years for Ford...it is cheaper to buy NEW then buy slightly used...I've looked at finance rates, milage, deprecation, parts, ect...for me it would be cheaper to buy new then buy slightly used or keep an older truck...after a certain point the truck/equipment becomes a MONEY PIT...why dump $$$$ into a older truck when for the same amount of $$$$ or maybe a few bucks more you have a new or newer truck??!!!?? Where is the common sense in that?? With the chippers....WE ALL know Vermeer is horrible this though has NOTHING to do with TRUCKS as all the truck companies make GOOD dependable truck, so how a horrible chipper comapny comes into the picture I have no clue..

Sure the truck can last longer if you want to constantly dump $$$$ into it, but why in the world would you want to dump $$$$$ into OLDER, AGING equipment????????

Last edited:
Once you see the price of new equipment you will go out wash the old truck and probably change the oil on it just for the he!! of it :) No reason to get rid of the old truck if it is mechanically sound and safe. JMHO

Keep the truck,fix it up and save you money to buy a newer truck when you really need it.Buying a new truck now will only create a debt that you will be working twice as hard to pay for.SAVE your money now ,buy with cash later.
:deadhorse:

You might want to take a look at improving the mileage a little, cold air kits , free up some exhaust, if you have some down time, it's not to hard to put a camshaft in that may match your use a little better? a couple more miles a gallon can pay for its self in no time.

I like the Pros vs. Cons going on here, it helps me weigh everything. The Majority of people on this thread say Keep it, fix it up, that's the way to go. Only a few say buy new, but the buy new guys offer more helpful information. Only Shoerfast for the "Keep it" campaign offers a possible solution to the real issue, cost.

If you're hurting on $$$$$ then keep it and use it until you have enough $$$$ to get something new or newer...but like I said above after a while any piece of equipment becomes a $$$$$ PIT.....6 miles to the gallon is horrible, my buddy has a 2004 F-550 & gets 10 town & 12 highway....If you want to you could keep it as a backup truck but either way I would get a new or newer daily driver...

Many good points here. There is nothing wrong with an old truck. I have an 86 F600, runs good, beat a new international in a drag race.

As far as the six miles to a gallon, check your intake and exhaust systems. If you have a plug in the system, that is why. You should probally do a tune up too. Some new plugs, cap, rotor, wires, and check the timing.

If you're hurting on $$$$$ then keep it and use it until you have enough $$$$ to get something new or newer...but like I said above after a while any piece of equipment becomes a $$$$$ PIT.....6 miles to the gallon is horrible, my buddy has a 2004 F-550 & gets 10 town & 12 highway....If you want to you could keep it as a backup truck but either way I would get a new or newer daily driver...

Well, with the age of his truck, He could probally improve its value right now with a few things. And there is a bottom dollar for every truck. At some point it hits a mark where you will always be able to get atleast so much $$$$ for it. So why not keep it.

I have to agree with all the stuff that people have said here about older trucks being easier to maintain. All the electrical and computerized stuff on these new trucks is a pain. It makes your fuel efficiency better, but it also makes your problems harder to fix. Old trucks where everything's mechanical, something breaks, it's obvious what's gone wrong, new trucks you have to take it back to the dealer to hook up to a computer...

I really think that either way you go you're not making a mistake. If you're going to keep the old truck, just make sure the paint looks good. If you want to get a new one, it'd be great if you could keep the oldie as a backup in case the other goes to the dealer for a 3 day warranty job, but I don't know how much more that would cost you in insurance.

How far away is your nearest new truck dealer? Are you familiar with them already and how they are on service etc? This may be the deciding factor on a deal like this.

why dump $$$$ into a older truck when for the same amount of $$$$ or maybe a few bucks more you have a new or newer truck??!!!??

What maintenence on his old truck will even approach the cost of a new truck? Even if he put a new motor and tranny, and painted the truck it wouldn't get close to a new truck price! Plus the early 90s F-series looks great! I think a good looking older truck shows that he takes good care of his equipment, and that speaks volumes.

Also I think the clientele in Oklahoma is probably more like the those in Ohio than NJ. But that's just my opinion.

What maintenence on his old truck will even approach the cost of a new truck? Even if he put a new motor and tranny, and painted the truck it wouldn't get close to a new truck price! Plus the early 90s F-series looks great! I think a good looking older truck shows that he takes good care of his equipment, and that speaks volumes.

Also I think the clientele in Oklahoma is probably more like the those in Ohio than NJ. But that's just my opinion.

That is probably true... OK lets know talk about maintenance & the truck in general....

First lets look at everything you have to replace with these older trucks, motor, tranny, brakes, brake lines, paint, new sheet metal here & there, oil, filters, ect, ect. The you have to consider that you're spending this $$$$$ on a almost worthless truck. No matter what you do with it no matter what you fix on it NO ONE will give you more the $3.5K for it and thats saying something. You take all that $$$$$ that you dumped into it and you have ATLEAST 12 PAYMENTS on a new or newer truck. And I haven't even gone into all the $$$$ he would save on gas/diesel. You're spending this $$$$$ on a OLD truck that is a MONEY PIT. Have ANY of you guys EVER thought on here when your machine/truck becomes a money pit???? If so please tell me what your definition of a "MONEY PIT" is. But I highly doubt any of you have.

Like I've said before, "WHY DUMP MONEY INTO A OLDER, AGING, DEPRECAITING, DYING TRUCK THEN A NEW ONE??????" It doesn't make ANY sense to me......

Last edited:
First lets look at everything you have to replace with these older trucks, motor, tranny, brakes, brake lines, paint, new sheet metal here & there, oil, filters, ect, ect. The you have to consider that you're spending this $$$$$ on a almost worthless truck. No matter what you do with it no matter what you fix on it NO ONE will give you more the $3.5K for it and thats saying something. You take all that $$$$$ that you dumped into it and you have ATLEAST 12 PAYMENTS on a new or newer truck.

Let's say you have to replace everything said on that truck (an unlikely situation if the truck has been maintained well but I will humor you). What happens after the 12 months? You're still paying on the new truck and the old truck is good to go for a long time! And as far as depreciation goes, new trucks depreciate far faster than old ones.

That is probably true... OK lets know talk about maintenance & the truck in general....

First lets look at everything you have to replace with these older trucks, motor, tranny, brakes, brake lines, paint, new sheet metal here & there, oil, filters, ect, ect. The you have to consider that you're spending this $$$$$ on a almost worthless truck. No matter what you do with it no matter what you fix on it NO ONE will give you more the $3.5K for it and thats saying something. You take all that $$$$$ that you dumped into it and you have ATLEAST 12 PAYMENTS on a new or newer truck. And I haven't even gone into all the $$$$ he would save on gas/diesel. You're spending this $$$$$ on a OLD truck that is a MONEY PIT. Have ANY of you guys EVER thought on here when your machine/truck becomes a money pit???? If so please tell me what your definition of a "MONEY PIT" is. But I highly doubt any of you have.

Like I've said before, "WHY DUMP MONEY INTO A OLDER, AGING, DEPRECAITING, DYING TRUCK THEN A NEW ONE??????" It doesn't make ANY sense to me......

You sure you're not a truck dealer or something? You seem mighty sure that a new truck is the way to go, or you just like new in general?

Latest posts

Back