dust in 066 air filter

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

B_Turner

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I am posting a new thread so I won't mess up existing 660 threads.

I was cleaning my 066 this afternoon and I noticed some fine dust under the air filter on the inner plastic baffle. It is the style with the plastic baffle inside with a washable air filter with the prefilter band around it. The filters look perfect as I take good care of the two which I rotate. Any ideas if the dust could be going under the air filter or around the thumbknob screw? Naturally I don't like it.

Any tips here?

I bought it new in 2001 and the serial number is 147560746 and I would guess it was probably made in 2000.

I searched for posts about this problem but couldn't find one.

Last edited:
I have the same thing on my 066, but its when I'm milling. I think
on mine it happens when I pull the filter off, The dust always
looks very fresh on the inner plastic baffle. Or I at lest hope
thats whats going on with mine.

Are you sure it's not some punk'in :)

Yeah, the falling in thing is pretty common. Another thing that'll happen with air filters is that they can become so clogged that there is less resistance for the air to pass through the seal than through the filter, thus any crap that's suspended in that air also makes it into the carb. I would redirect you to Madsen's web site, but it's down right now. They do have a really good tech article about air filters on there.

To boil it down, if you have dry, fine dust that you're worried about, it probably did just fall in when you pulled the filter off. But, if you have darker colored, wet dust on the inside, it is from leaking through due to an overly dirty filter. I have seen it happen, and have solved the problem by cleaning the filter, thus ruling out a constant leak.

Also remember that those filters don't last forever. Each time you wash them, there's a little more crap that doesn't come out.

It was a dry dust, definitely not pumpkin (hehe, it was that saw, though).

Hopefully that is it,that it fell in while removing the filter. If I see it again I'll study it better before I clean it. The filter was not plugged at all, so that should not have been the problem.

I had wondered if maybe it sucked in past the threaded thumb screw, as it seems like that location is suspect. Wonder if a small thin soft "washer" would make sense on the inside of the thumbscrew.

Anyone ever put on a smear of grease to help the seal on the lip of the filter? Bad idea?

Anyone have a chart of 066 serial numbers to be able to tell me when the saw was made?

I have ser#143791167 Lakeside said it was made March 2000
I also have ser#150687954 again Lakeside said, very late 2001

So I would say late 2000 or early 2001 best guess.

Hey, Lake if you read this, how dose Stihl do there ser#
If my two 066 are about 21 months apart that would
be 362,988 a month, that can't be right can it?

Last edited:
Trigger-Time said:

Thanks, that makes sense.

Bill

Trigger-Time said:

Hey, Lake if you read this, how dose Stihl do there ser#
If my two 066 are about 21 months apart that would
be 362,988 a month, that can't be right can it?

Yep... The frist digit indicates country of orgin, the rest of the numbers are assigned world wide to all equipment... The next number after yours could have been a pressure washer, a lawn mower, an electric trimmer, a ...

B_Turner said:
I bought it new in 2001 and the serial number is 147560746 and I would guess it was probably made in 2000.

How about a sales date of 7th July, 2001...:) The date of manufacture is on the saw label - starts with MD...

Lakeside53 said:
How about a sales date of 7th July, 2001...:) The date of manufacture is on the saw label - starts with MD...

Date sounds right.

The label on the handle? I'll go look at the saw right now.

Lakeside53 said:
Yep... The frist digit indicates country of orgin, the rest of the numbers are assigned world wide to all equipment... The next number after yours could have been a pressure washer, a lawn mower, an electric trimmer, a ...

I forgot about the first number, so it would be 62,988

Thanks

Lakeside53 said:

Looks like MD 0006, so June of 2000 I guess. I bet they make them in batches so the id's tend to clump a bit.

This forum is really great, but with AS down tomorrow I bet I get more work done....

B_Turner said:
Looks like MD 0006, so June of 2000 I guess. I bet they make them in batches so the id's tend to clump a bit.

This forum is really great, but with AS down tomorrow I bet I get more work done....

Yep!

and

Yep!!!

Hello my name is Gary............And I have a chain saw problem ;)

It's 9pm here 10 deg F outside my saws are in a shed about
50 yds from the house, And I had to go out and see when the

HE!! my saws where made, Yes I have a problem

Lakeside53 said:
it's a sickness... the only cure is more saws... and that's only temporary..

Honest, if you would told me this 6 months ago
I would have said you are full of ****! :cheers:

OH by the way.

460 md0510
361 md0510
200t md0603
660 md0604
066 md9905
066 no tag, gone
026, I think 1985

Trigger-Time said:
Honest, if you would told me this 6 months ago
I would have said you are full of ****! :cheers:

OH by the way.

460 md0510
361 md0510
200t md0603
660 md0604
066 md9905
066 no tag, gone
026, I think 1985

Damn, that's a nice selection of late model saws..

'85 026 - I think not... Send me your serial numbers for the last two..

I don't remember my 026 having a sticker. Now I have to go out to the shed and look. I think I bought it around 91.

Lakeside53 said:
In '91 they didn't... Serial number tells all..

pm on the way. I don't rememer if I registered it though.

I'm almost as bad as Gary. Just took a shower and finally got rid of the gas smell and I'm back out in the shed looking at serial numbers. Inquiring minds want to know.

Last edited:
B_Turner said:
pm on the way.

I'm almost as bad as Gary. Just took a shower and finally got rid of the gas smell and I'm back out in the shed looking at serial numbers. Inquiring minds want to know.

Yes I went back out too, in my long johns.

on the 026, the 1985 was on the UL sticker. yes call me DA!

Latest posts

Back