dwarf japanese maple problem

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jpingb

Reaction score
I have a dwarf jap maple that is at least 5 yrs old (here when i moved in)

it was doing fine until this year. the leaves started to branch out and then just stopped. what happened and what can i do. thanks

First I would check to see if the grower used nylon string to tie up the ball. Just push some soil from the crown and look for a string. If it isn't rotted by now cut it away. Be carefull not to damage the trunk.
Second, if you planted it, was it a potted in a plastic container? If so, the roots may not have been properly, how do I say, sliced-up. Roots in a plastic container may keep growing round and round if they are not properly re-routed.
You have to dig up the plant if this is posibly a problem. Or find a way to slice into the soil to cut the roots at where they were when the tree was first planted. I would recomend a professional for this job.
Could be borers, also. Look for their entrance holes around the trunk. Once again if you see places where little bugs could have gotten in, you need a professional. It is hard for even a pro to get rid of borers.
Send some pics. It's posible it just needed water after the dry March we had.

thanks i will send pics. i think it is a dwarf jap maple although my neighbor thinks it is just a maple anyway, we had so much rain in april and this month. i did forget to add that i have a dog who "occasionally" urinates on that tree, but I have had him for 4 yrs sooo. anyway thanks

Latest posts

Back