E15 Study to complete in November, What does this mean for your Ported or Stock Saw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pataya1

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
In the broader spectrum of public lobbying, especially here in the Midwest, Ethanol promotion is a big thing.
EPA is under a rural-state-promoted congressional mandate to increase ethanol use. Congress required fuel refiners to blend 36 billion gallons of biofuels, mostly ethanol, into auto fuel by 2022 and the EPA says it can't be done without allowing at least an E-15 blend.
With that being said, I have always run premium in my small engine equipment.
What's going to happen to our small equipment, especially chainsaws (and more specifically work saws both stock and ported) that are designed to be run hard all day long?

I doubt if you are like me and put full days in with a chain saw for commercial use are going to be able to just start buying that pre-mixed fuel at the store for like $30 a gallon.

What's our alternative? I mean, so if congress allows E-15 where does it stop?
Are we going to be talking about E-20 next year or the year after that?

Best Regards,
Philip

Our Kommander in Chief is all for it. Anything to force us away from fossil fuels and into rechargeables. I'll run canned fuel entirely before I put that excrement in my OPE's.

Surely the manufacturers of small OPE can come up with something that would be ethanol compliant.

There are e-85 vehicles out there....

As for ethanol itself, not really sold on it as a green future. From a purely environmental standpoint, it is some sort of replacement for gas, but wonder how ecologically friendly it really is by the time its grown, harvested, produced and such....

Think the resources could be better used to find a 100% clean, renewable energy of some sorts.

Course the fossil fuel companies will never go for that.....

Surely the manufacturers of small OPE can come up with something that would be ethanol compliant.

There are e-85 vehicles out there....

As for ethanol itself, not really sold on it as a green future. From a purely environmental standpoint, it is some sort of replacement for gas, but wonder how ecologically friendly it really is by the time its grown, harvested, produced and such....

Think the resources could be better used to find a 100% clean, renewable energy of some sorts.

Course the fossil fuel companies will never go for that.....

flex fuel saws.......rather complicated, but they could make them, only add a lb or three, extra several hundred dollars to the cost..many interesting threads on why saw won't start hot/warm/cold, etc.

anyway, several members here oversaturate monsanto welfare gas and then decant off or siphon off or drain off the alky or the pure gas depending on how they rig it...that's about it, all you can do if you don't want to run that stuff and can't source E free anyplace.

The canned fuel/mix is quite good, but egads it costs. If they could get big quantities out there all over in one gallon cans for maybe even just ten bucks, as opposed to 25-30, then perhaps that could work.

Congress required fuel refiners to blend 36 billion gallons of biofuels, mostly ethanol, into auto fuel by 2022 and the EPA says it can't be done without allowing at least an E-15 blend.

Best Regards,
Philip

Could you provide a clarification here. Does one gallon of e10 and one gallon of e15 count differently towards that 36 billion. I have 25,000 miles on my flex fuel pick up truck. I have yet to get an opportunity to fuel it with e85. If there isn't enough ethanol to make e85 available what is the point. It cost more to produce my vehicle to be ethanol compliant. I mean flex fuel e85 compliant the ecoboost version is e10 max as is the biggest v8 6.2 at least in 2012. I kind of suspect the injectors could be more precise if they were not bigger to be flex fuel.

While the ethanol is corn or probably even sugar derived it really isn't creating any energy just converting diesel, electricity, and natural gas to ethanol and leaving used equipment to be depreciated. The erosion and fertilized related dead zone in the gulf of Mexico probably will make the tipping argument.

I got some race gas last year not for anything relating to arborist stuff but they had some colorful 5 gallon containers of no ethanol gas with the road tax not 112 octane or something like I was getting which was in bulk. I am rather sure the price was about $60 per 5 gallon container out the door so to speak, just a touch less than that. I just saw the colorful cans and inquired, there were a lot of them and the chainsaw guys seemed the logical users perhaps jet sik as well.

Last edited:
I'm by no means a refiner but we've been running ethanol in our fuel out here in California for a while now and for me it does not seem to affect my saws when running, that being said becarful on how you store them cause the fuel will eat your fuel lines. I use Lucas fuel stabilizer when I store for the winter and it seems to work. Also I only mix 92 octane fuel at 50:1

Back