Porter or Stock, New Ethanol Rules will affect us all

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have experienced the results of fueling a saw with 87 E10 and storing the saw for a year. So I used the listing of E free stations and started becoming educated on where E free stations are in my immediate area. I had a few stations around Huntsville, AL. I just moved to Athens,AL and sure enough there is a E free station about a mile from my house. All the others only had one pump E free. This station has all grades 92, 89, 87 E free.

Ethanol shield and/or Marine Stabil ethanol formula solve the problem of E10 well enough for me. I'll have to add a little more of it if they mandate E15.

Check out my Latest Post "Take My Challenge" In search bar

Check out my post with the above title.
And for sure pure gas is better than E10 for your small engine.

Ethanol...

All I can say is that everytime I get 5 gals of 87 pump gas the first thing I do is add a couple ounces of Stabil to it. Have NOT had a problem other than changing out very old gas/impulse lines on my Stihl. Seems to work so far but scary nevertheless...More worried about the EPA swat team!...

Found some E-free tonight

I used the puregas link someone posted a while back and located a newly renovated BP in my area that sells E-Free, so I went by tonight to check it out. Sure enough, their pumps have two hoses on them, one for E10 in 87, 89, 92, and one other hose that on various pumps has either E-Free 89 octane, E85, or diesel.

All are clearly labeled. I think I'll be buying E-free from those guys from now on. But the price was 50 cents a gallon higher than 89 E10. I can deal with that; I probably need 10 gallons a year. Think I'll keep adding Stabil though; I've seen Sthil conventional premix go bad.

SEF Small Engine Fuel

My brother is going to be selling VP fuel in the area we live in. There are quite a few landscapers and other contractors that are interested. A 55 gallon drum of 50:1 premix in the shop doesn't sound like too bad of an idea.

You lot run low octane over there, ours is 96 minimum, and we have less ethanol content
But it costs more at GBP £1.40/L
I'll let you lot do the conversions and math on cost per gal

On another note, ethanol absorbs water, water sticks to metal more readily than fuel, which I would assume causes condensation in the crankcase, would this not pose more of a risk?

Is there any ethanol in it at all? I never see it mentioned here. We would have to get it from the States as corn, or Maize as they call it here, is a tiny crop compared to the huge subsidized crop it is in the States. 95 Octane is minimum here, with 98 and 102 available at some pumps.

Latest posts

Back