EPA Ethanol blend.....Now no ZDDP

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oneoldbanjo

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
It appears that the EPA will not be content with just destroying our old engines with ethanol fuel blends (10% or 15%) - now they are removing the ZDDP from engine oil. The ZDDP is a Zinc and Phosporous additive that prevents wear in the cam lobes and lifters. It seems that the ZDDP can affect the efficiency of the catayltic converters and therefore the amount allowed in the oil is being reduced dramatically. Failure of cam lobes and lifters are evidently becoming a problem if you use this newer oil in old equipment that is not designed with roller lifters. The solution is to add a ZDDP additive, or use a 4 cycle motorcycle oil, or use a diesel rated oil. This does not relate to our chainsaw use - but it does relate to the use of our tractors, trucks, log splitters, etc. that have cams and lifters.

Isn't this more great news from the EPA?

Here is a link to an article with more complete information - do a Google or Yahoo search for more.

http://www.ttalk.info/Zddp.htm

i always use rotella 10w-30 in all my ope it has a very stout additive package, which includes plenty of zddp. i have the same logsplitter as you banjo and it loves it, seems to quiet down alot of the mechanical noise as well. i quit using car motor oils in my equipment it got dirty fast, was thin as water when i drained it and they seemed to burn off easier. man if the epa goes to 15% ethanol all our power equiptment will go to ####.

i always use rotella 10w-30 in all my ope it has a very stout additive package, which includes plenty of zddp. i have the same logsplitter as you banjo and it loves it, seems to quiet down alot of the mechanical noise as well. i quit using car motor oils in my equipment it got dirty fast, was thin as water when i drained it and they seemed to burn off easier. man if the epa goes to 15% ethanol all our power equiptment will go to ####.

isn't that their game plan?

eliminate all the old engines ASAP to force people to buy new "efficient" machinery.

now, to protect an old engine, i suppose it's going to cost more....and it's hard to find non-ethanol gas around here.

No, that's not their game plan, ( I don't think) I think their game plan is making everyone else go so "green" that they can pat themselves on the back, and then they can look the other way when they ( congressmen ) take 3 737's loaded with booze, lobster and shrimp on the tax payers dime to Copenhagen to tell the world all the good they have done.

No, that's not their game plan, ( I don't think) I think their game plan is making everyone else go so "green" that they can pat themselves on the back, and then they can look the other way when they ( congressmen ) take 3 737's loaded with booze, lobster and shrimp on the tax payers dime to Copenhagen to tell the world all the good they have done.

I think the EPA is just out of control. They have plenty of time and an unlimited amount of our taxes that allow them to spend their working days dreamin up what they can do next to "improve" things.....and there is no organized effort challenge them. It is a governmental agency that is out of control......and they are requlating the US people and businesses excessively.

Back