EAB - Is It Here?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chris-PA

Where the Wild Things Are
Reaction score
The ash trees have been hammered for years here and I understood it to be from Ash Yellows. I've never seen the EAB so far. Today I cut down the green ash that dropped the branch on my daughter at Halloween. Here's some witche's broom from near the base of that tree which is characteristic of Ash Yellows:
attachment.php

However, I found these guys:
attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Is it EAB or something else? If so, does anyone know who I should contact in PA (I haven't looked yet) I saved some of the buggers in a jar.

Those larvae look different than the EAB we have here. It could be deceiving though, we just found it here this past week. The tell tale sign is pealing the bark back and seeing all the tunnels. Seems we have had it here for awhile now that I start looking around at the Ash trees. Now that I have seen how the woodpeckers go after them it's easy to spot an infected tree, look to the top and if there are woodpecker holes with flaked bark around them it's probably toast.

Put 'em in the fridge with some coffee grounds. String up some monofilament. You might need Gamakatsu's cause the skins are soft. Easy on the sinker, they need to float a bit. Crappie Keith was right. We are slayin' 'em in farm ponds. Good luck.

Put 'em in the fridge with some coffee grounds. String up some monofilament. You might need Gamakatsu's cause the skins are soft. Easy on the sinker, they need to float a bit. Crappie Keith was right. We are slayin' 'em in farm ponds. Good luck.
This is a serious thread, please take your bull#### elsewhere.

Looks like you have some other critter chewing on your Ash trees.

The easiest way to discern is the "D" shaped entry holes in the bark. If the entry holes are all round, it's not EAB.

lavaedimlg-254x300.gif

And yes, EAB has been in Pennsy for a while now.

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

Woodheat,

Ya got any pics of the bark entry holes?

You may very well have a tree that was attacked by EAB and in decline, which attracts a myriad of other pests.

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

Last edited:
Woodheat,

Ya got any pics of the bark entry holes?

You may very well have a tree that was attacked by EAB and in decline, which attracts a myriad of other pests.

Stay safe!
Dingeryote
No, I really could not find any, but this tree was such a mess - the bark is just falling off but everything underneath is rotted. Clearly something's been eating under the bark but it's hard to see anything as well defined as in the EAB pictures of their tunnels. It's hollow too and had lots of things living inside. I think this thing was hammered by Ash Yellows and the Redheaded Ash Borer was an opportunistic latecomer to the party. .

I also trashed about 6 cutters on my new 24" loop of LGX. I hate rotten hollow trees.

No, I really could not find any, but this tree was such a mess - the bark is just falling off but everything underneath is rotted. Clearly something's been eating under the bark but it's hard to see anything as well defined as in the EAB pictures of their tunnels. It's hollow too and had lots of things living inside. I think this thing was hammered by Ash Yellows and the Redheaded Ash Borer was an opportunistic latecomer to the party. .

I also trashed about 6 cutters on my new 24" loop of LGX. I hate rotten hollow trees.

Hopefully the EAB is innocent this time. Keep an eyeball on the other ash trees in the area, and if you can, get up about 15-20' and look for any "D" shaped entry holes. If they got one tree, they will get the others around it the following year.
My last Ash got nailed despite Imadaclorpid and a long fight. When ya find them, it's too late.

I hate Hollows with sandy rot. Semi-chisel or the new Multicut is the only answer to that crap that I have found, and it still gets trashed once in a while. I share your angst! Skip semi-chisel on a 24" seems to be the hot ticket, as you start out with fewer teeth to mangle.LOL!!!

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

This is the only loop I have right now for the 24" bar - I wouldn't normally use full chisel but it came as a package. I didn't want to use it on this tree, but the thing was just under 24" and up against a fence and stone wall, and I had to drop it along the fence. So I only had one place to stand for the back cut and it would not have been fun with a smaller saw trying to come from both sides. I don't know what I hit but it looked like stone damage. I got it dressed back up but I'll probably use a grinder next time to even up the cutter length. Grr.

I know the EAB will be here soon enough - if it takes too long there won't be much left as the Ash Yellows is giving them all a slow death. I'll take what time I have.

Where do you live in Pa.? EAB has spread quick in South Western Pa. On my property, they hit the healthy trees first. I didn't even know they were there until last spring when 2 nice Ash's didn't get leaves. I wish I could get pictures of the bark to show you because the bark just fell off the rounds. This winter I know the trees that are next because the Woodpeckers are shining them up. I can tell the ash trees just by driving around now. Its ashame because my guess is they'll be gone just like the Dutch Elm's.

Funny thing, when I cut down the dead ones, I didn't find any live bugs or larva. I found a few dead ones. Do they leave the tree when the tree dies?

This is a serious thread, please take your bull#### elsewhere.

Numbnuts seems to have been banned already, but some people don't learn even if you hit them upside the head with a 2x4. He's either a 12 year old troll, or a dim-witted post whore.

Anyway, here's some info from PA's DCNR on EAB in our state (but you don't say WHERE is here?), unfortunately its a bit dated now in Feb 2012:

Emerald Ash Borer

Unfortunately EAB is here in NY too....the initial policy of chipping infected trees was a joke ...it killed maybe 20% of them and helped spread the problem.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

Sorry I wasn't on today = I had to do a U-joint and a center bearing in our old 94 F250. Not a fun job at all, it fought me every darn step.

I'm just south of Allentown. I know the EAB is in PA, I just haven't seen it here yet. The ashes look pretty bad already with the Yellows, but it's a slow wasting disease. Once the EAB gets here too they really won't stand a chance. The ashes are not the most beautiful trees, but the wood is just fantastic and I will miss it when it's gone. To a great extent I've been burning through a bounty of ash thanks to all the dying trees, but that won't last.

Back