Early Homelite xl-12 Serial Number

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just bought an early Homelite xl-12. It seems to have all of the early features. The brass fuel line with a wick, idle screw mounted directly on the carb, black lettering, early front handle with a square mounting, only two screw mounts for the muffler, and a metal air filter knob.

What it doesn't have is the steel starter sleeve with a "knob" on the starter housing, but the serial number is lower than any saw that I have seen with the early starter.

The serial number is 1501176. I am curious how low the serial numbers go on the xl-12. If anyone has an early model I would appreciate any feedback you may have.
i was just given an xl-12 serial no.2422058 is the xl-12 the model no? i can only find one plate next to the on/off switch.

I'm trying to identify my older Homelite XL12. I bought it in Florida about 1965, from a man who came down from Idaho. The plate lists the serial number as 1609172. I need to either rebuild or replace the carburetor. The saw does not seem to have a model number.

Collegiate
I have told this story on different forums about our history with Homelite, If you have read it before I'm sorry..
We were Homelite dealers from 1951 to 2004. Our Homelite representative from Cincinnati (Fats Herbert) visited us in August 1963., He had a promo saw with him XL-12. He demonstrated the saw and my husband gave him an offer. If they could deliver 50 units to us by Oct l, 1963 we would take 50. But take one off of 50 everyday after that. On Oct. 6, I went to the branch in Cincinnati in our Buick station wagon and brought 45 XL-12 Homelite saws. We had to take some of them out of the box to get them in the vehicle. The serial numbers on these saw began with1501407 to 1501456. They were all the wick type gas tanks. I think I must have replaced the wick style with the later line and filter assembly on most of these saws, plus several sold by surrounding dealers. I have never heard of a serial number below any of the ones in our supply until now. In the years we were dealers, we sold approximately 5000 new Homelite saws plus a few Pioneer and Poulan. I am still selling new Homelite parts from requlests on the forums.
chainsawlady
Chainsawlady,I just purchased a running,blue XL-12,it's metal tag to the left of the handle says serial#1550091,any info would be greatly appreciated,[email protected]

Latest posts

Back