Easier skidding?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Have never had cable TV, or a dish, just plain old air antenna on a tower. A computer was not in the house till the daughter went off to college, then we used Juno mail the frre E mail so we stay in touch easier and cheaper. Was a very long time before we had a cell phone too, just a plain old flip dumb phone. Would not have one now except our bussiness it was really required if I wanted to take advantage of Free Bees that sold then for 50 to 75 dollars and not nearing $150.00.

So we gave up all that stuff and never missed it at all but I have several tractors and chain saws plus my wife would buy me guns for birthdays and Christmas so I have more than a couple of them.

Know a guy moaning had to park his truck because of trans problems.
But pays over 700.00 a month for him self, wife and two daughters to have the latest and greatest smart phones.

Guess it boils down to wants and how much yopu want to do with out and how much you want to work.

:D Al

I think with a "tractor" this size or any small tractor for that matter, you would be able to haul a much heavier load on wheels than skidding it. Mainly because of the friction difference.

For example, at a family tractor pull event we had 4 old garden tractors. Much tougher than the new lawnmowers you see today. Yet, none of them were able to pull this sled with more than 800 lbs. in it.

Now keep in mind these are actual garden tractors, not lawn tractors and are considerably heavier and more capable than your LT. They have limits.

Meanwhile, if pulling a trailer.....the same tractor can pull 3-4 times that amount.

Your sled idea is novel, but the reason for using a sled is to traverse the snow with out the tires sinking in the snow. The problem is any appreciable amount of snow is going to cause your tractor tires to also sink in the snow just like the trailer tires would. If you had something on tracks like a snowmobile or maybe a bombardier that would be another story

Id ditch the sled idea, and get a tougher tractor

So I fixed my traction problem!
IMG_3653.JPG
35, 1 1/2" in long 5/16" bolts in each rear tire. They stick out about 1 1/8". They get stupid amounts of traction, We got about 5 inches of snow today and besides not being able to steer it was like it wasn't slippery at all. I also got a little froggy and built a snow plow!
IMG_3666.JPG
I really hate snow blowers. I built it out of a 54"x12" pine board, which broke quickly as I expected but only a small peice off the bottom. I still finished my fairly large yard with it. I made the frame for it out of 2x4's, I weighted it with old 1/2 ton brake rotors to keep it from floating, 2 was ok and lifted easy, 3 scraped a lot better but my 2x4 lift arm didn't like to lift it. When I rebuild the plow I'm going to use plywood so it won't snap at a weak spot in the grain again, and make a lift arm strong enough to hold 4 brake rotors or about 60 pounds or more of weight to keep the snow from floating the blade up. The bolted tires will push the tractor through snow banks level with the hood without hesitation. I've seen lots of terrible homemade plows, I want to build a good one! This one is pretty decent. I plowed my whole driveway and a path around to the back and had fun doing it. I'm going to make the next one bigger, maybe 5'x2', this one with snow rolling over the top and sides the tractor still doesn't notice, it will easily push a lot more.

I think you need to UP grade your tractor a little, to like my old Wheel Horse!

standard.jpg

SR
Very nice wheel horse sir! That would certainly pull a log!

But I do feel your pain. Even at that price, it's probably worth more than your LT. I do understand, everyone I know has to make priorities for the disbursement of available funds. I spend on some things other folks would consider frivolous, and save on other things folks would consider essential. You afford what you want to afford. Good luck with your skidding. And good luck with your LT on ice. I took this picture of us mowing the rushes that grew through the ice on our pond.View attachment 617538

These tires get lots of traction everywhere! Ice is no longer a problem.
IMG_3652.JPG

ATV log arch, near you, on craigslist- $275. As stated already, pulling on wheels will be much easier on the "tractor" than dragging.
View attachment 617368

Yea 275 is pretty steep I could go pick up a running yard jeep for $150 or a Wheel horse or something similar. I'm going to build a log sled until I can get ahold of some trailer axle parts to build a wood wagon.

Attachments

• IMG_3667.JPG
    IMG_3667.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 13
  • IMG_3668.JPG
    IMG_3668.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 14
  • IMG_3670.JPG
    IMG_3670.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 14
You're really expecting that little machine to push a 60" plow? I don't know how much snow you got, or how heavy/wet it was, but with anything over a couple inches of dry powder I don't think you'll be pushing much. The bolts are most likely going to cause something else to break in the rear end or axles.

So I fixed my traction problem!
We got about 5 inches of snow today. The bolted tires will push the tractor through snow banks level with the hood without hesitation. I'm going to make the next one bigger, maybe 5'x2', this one with snow rolling over the top and sides the tractor still doesn't notice, it will easily push a lot more.
I like a story as much as the next guy, but come on.....this didn't happen!

You're really expecting that little machine to push a 60" plow? I don't know how much snow you got, or how heavy/wet it was, but with anything over a couple inches of dry powder I don't think you'll be pushing much. The bolts are most likely going to cause something else to break in the rear end or axles.
I like a story as much as the next guy, but come on.....this didn't happen!

Like I said we got about 5 inches, it was sticky enough to make good snowballs. I do expect it to push a 60" plow, considering I built a 54" plow and it never even lugged the engine or tried to spin. 6" isn't much bigger. I piled half the snow from my driveway in one spot last night to push it from the side off the bank, the pile was taller than the mower, the plow didn't have enough weight not to float some, but was still pushing quite a bit of the snow, and the rest that was left behind and rolling over the plow it drove through without a care. You can believe what you want, I don't really mind, my yard is clean and I got to build something fun. And at this point I've got about 12 hours and $25 in this thing which is the cost of the hardware in the tires and plow. I'm going to lock the transaxle, if it breaks, I'll replace it, and repeat. It's a friggen lawn mower man. It even still cuts grass in the summer. (I might have to buy some new turf tires haha)

im just here for the carnage now :D:p:dancing:
I'll post the pics of something explodes! I don't think it will though as long as I'm easy on the clutch.

Attachments

• IMG_3675.JPG
    IMG_3675.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 16
Get yourself an old hot water heater, remove the tin and the insulation to get at the tank inside. A 40 gallon tank is about a 20" diameter steel tank with 1/8" wall. Take a grinder or a skil saw with a steel blade and cut the tank in half and cut the ends off of that. Build your snow blade out of this instead of wood. I've built tons of blade over the years but never out of wood.
If you want to see a real lawn tractor then go to "lawn site" and check out some of my threads. Search using my user name "cantoo" and the words "steiner" or pretty much anything else you want to build and I have done it and likely posted pictures of it.
https://www.************/threads/if-you-dont-have-a-steiner-you-wont-understand.185239/

If you have time check this thread out too.
https://www.************/threads/pics-of-my-messy-shop.184416/

And just in case you think you invented bolts in tires look at these tires from years ago. Center of the pile. Put them on a Walker with snow blower.
IMG_0392a.jpg IMG_0393a.jpg IMG_0384a.jpg

You beat me to it Canto, I was going to suggest a 55 gallon drum and some bed frame angle iron. Built one when I was a kid with little more than that. Bed frame was found on junk day....

Still think he's nuts but so am I so I like it!!

When you get proper funds, get a proper tractor

I'd bet $1000 that quad would pull your tractor backwards and that 8n will pull the quad backwards.

Not saying you can't make a riding mower work, but they have there limits. I did it for years cause that's all I had. But when you can upgrade, do it. You'll wonder how you ever did it the old way.

Attachments

• IMG_2754.JPG
    IMG_2754.JPG
    3.3 MB · Views: 12
  • IMG_2757.JPG
    IMG_2757.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 11
  • IMG_2896.JPG
    IMG_2896.JPG
    2.4 MB · Views: 11
My sister and former BIL purchased a new Craftsman YT several years ago. One time I went to visit and she was mowing the lawn and I watched her get stuck on a clump of wet grass the size of a softball. The tractor was so light I was able to grab the front bumper and with one hand pick it up and swing it over a foot so she was "unstuck". True story, couldn't believe it, and can't believe a similar "tractor" will push a 54" plow, let alone a 60". Especially with snow as high as the hood. It reminds me of the "I walked to school uphill both ways barefoot during a blizzard" tales of my youth.

You beat me to it Canto, I was going to suggest a 55 gallon drum and some bed frame angle iron. Built one when I was a kid with little more than that. Bed frame was found on junk day....

Still think he's nuts but so am I so I like it!!

When you get proper funds, get a proper tractor

I'd bet $1000 that quad would pull your tractor backwards and that 8n will pull the quad backwards.

Not saying you can't make a riding mower work, but they have there limits. I did it for years cause that's all I had. But when you can upgrade, do it. You'll wonder how you ever did it the old way.

I'd LOVE to have an 8n! Love them old ford tractors. But I could pick up a running yard jeep for $150 I've only got about $20 into the weed eater at this point.

Get yourself an old hot water heater, remove the tin and the insulation to get at the tank inside. A 40 gallon tank is about a 20" diameter steel tank with 1/8" wall. Take a grinder or a skil saw with a steel blade and cut the tank in half and cut the ends off of that. Build your snow blade out of this instead of wood. I've built tons of blade over the years but never out of wood.
If you want to see a real lawn tractor then go to "lawn site" and check out some of my threads. Search using my user name "cantoo" and the words "steiner" or pretty much anything else you want to build and I have done it and likely posted pictures of it.
https://www.************/threads/if-you-dont-have-a-steiner-you-wont-understand.185239/

If you have time check this thread out too.
https://www.************/threads/pics-of-my-messy-shop.184416/

And just in case you think you invented bolts in tires look at these tires from years ago. Center of the pile. Put them on a Walker with snow blower.
View attachment 618144 View attachment 618145 View attachment 618149

I have plans to either buy an ATV plow and modify it or to build from scratch a metal blade, But I don't have a welder! :/ I have basic carpentry tools. I threw this one together in a couple hours with stuff I had because I saw snow on the ground and got all excited haha. The water heaters a great idea! I will read those threads to!
And I definitely know I did not invent bolted tires! I first saw them in the off-roading community, I love jeeps and there's not much them crazy jeepers won't try! People run them on hillclimb buggys mostly, also seen a RAV4 on bolted stockers at a mud run once.

If you lock the axle, (I assume by welding the gears) you are going to have issues turning no?

Yes you are very correct there. I decided not to lock it because it gets so much traction and it already will barley turn on snow. I'm going to weight the front lightly and put ice screws in my front tires so it will turn on snow.

My sister and former BIL purchased a new Craftsman YT several years ago. One time I went to visit and she was mowing the lawn and I watched her get stuck on a clump of wet grass the size of a softball. The tractor was so light I was able to grab the front bumper and with one hand pick it up and swing it over a foot so she was "unstuck". True story, couldn't believe it, and can't believe a similar "tractor" will push a 54" plow, let alone a 60". Especially with snow as high as the hood. It reminds me of the "I walked to school uphill both ways barefoot during a blizzard" tales of my youth.

My LT started out very light, the fronts still quite light without the plow on, I can actually wheelie it all the way across my yard. But I have 102 pounds of plate weights chained to the back. The tires had 35 pounds of ballast each but I ditched the liquid filling when I put bolts in because I was expecting to have to use a liquid tire sealer but they have 2" fender washers on the inside that seem to seal them very well. I can barley pick up the rear anymore but I can swing the front with one hand as you describe. With the weight and bolts it just goes but that doesn't mean it will turn or not flip over backwards. Which I have done without the bolts pulling logs.

Back