Easiest starting chainsaw? (50-80cc)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My easy starting saws are a 2016 550xp and an old 266se. The 266 starts on one pull warm and about 3-4 pulls cold no compression release lol. The 550 cranks up on 1 pull warm also. My ***** is a 372xt that saw can make me mad sometimes it's about, 9 pulls on cold.

My easy starting saws are a 2016 550xp and an old 266se. The 266 starts on one pull warm and about 3-4 pulls cold no compression release lol. The 550 cranks up on 1 pull warm also. My ***** is a 372xt that saw can make me mad sometimes it's about, 9 pulls on cold.
Something is wrong with the 372xt, should pop on 2-3 pulls and run on the next.

Anyone that says the Dolmar easy start saws are jerky or harsh is doing the same thing I did. I HATED my 5105 when I was trying to drop start it. They are not designed to be started that way. They must be pulled gently. I've since given my Dad the 5105 but all I do with that is stick the rear handle between my thighs and gently pull til it pops, then choke off a couple more gentle pulls and she fires. It was actually really cool when I figured it out.
I have only started it maybe 15 -20 times but I have been starting it like I have the old Partners. Grab the cord and RIP but I need to learn the slow ? easy pull my should really will not take repeated yanks.

Dolmars seem to pop 1st or second pull on the ones I have and will flood very easily.
Hopefully you've already figured it out, wouldn't want you to have to throw down with the Partner any more than you have too :eek:.

Dave did you decide on a saw for your father, pictures are required:lol:.

I think I flooded it the last time I tried starting it. I pulled it about 4-5 times on choke before I figured I must have " missed hearing the pop" It was 97* that day i was bush hogging the back field and came across a tree down and in my way. I also wondered if the heat caused the saw to start hard? It had been riding on the tractor fender for a few hours that day.
The tractor was next to me idling and I had headphones on ( the hearing protection type), by the time I did shut off the choke I had it may have severely flooded I think.
As silly as this sounds I need to go out and practice starting it I guess. The issue I have now is I have a bone spur in my right shoulder , I am right handed. The surgeon I saw last week said if I don't take it real easy the spur will tear the rotator cuff. I had that surgery on my left shoulder a few years back, I would rather put my face slowly into a wood chipper than go through that again on the right one. So I need to get this starting thing figured out.

Rear handle between legs, pull handle is on the left side. Nothing violent. Just slowly pull it up with your left. It will surprise you when it pops.

Idk, cus I only have six saws; but every one of 3 different (small) displacements and 4 different brands starts in 2-4 pulls cold and 1 pull warm 99% of the time.

There have been only very occasional times over the years where they haven’t and usually a simple low screw adjustment is all that’s required.

If your 2 stroke doesn’t start like that, then something is wrong. Well, unless it is a 2006 CR125 with a stock Mikuni...

My easiest is the Dolmar 420. It’s almost unbelievable.

My 5105 has the easy-start dealio, but it’s almost like the cord needs one more wrap on the pully because the pull handle is slightly awkwardly too far away from the saw when the spring starts to wind. And the saw is fat. Ok, just very chubby.

Once you get the hang of the correct hard, short pull required to start the old Jonny 590’s they start as well as any new saw. 2 -4 pulls cold (depending on how long they’ve been sitting) and 1 pull hot all day long. Or, if you do it wrong they’ll kick back and possibly tear their own recoil apart. Ha.

The Echo 590 starts really good, but the recoil feels kind-of cheap in-the-hand somehow. It will probably last forever.

My MS362 starts and runs like a Mercedes (although I have flooded it pretty bad once and lightly a couple of times) and so does the little 420 Dolly.

I don’t use the decompression valve on the saws that have them. Not required...yet.

Dolmar 420. One of the all-time easiest starting machines of all time, Imo. I have had three other machines in my life that have sprung to life instantaneously like the 420. One was a ‘93 Dodge with a Cummins, one was an ‘88 Ford with a 302, and one was a ‘78 GS750 Suzuki.

It’s like they go from dead to running like flipping a switch. That’s the 420. And by the videos maybe the 6100 too. Except the 6100 is a super widebody with a funny handlebar bend.

Imoo.

My local dealer taught me how to start the husky 2100’s decades ago with no comp release. You hold the front handle with your left hand and drop the saw and pull the rope with your right hand at the same time. I taught my kids to use the comp release all the time because the higher compression saws of today were putting more stress and load on the starter system.

I’m 68yo and as I get older I don’t eat right. I find that boost energy drink brings back some of my strength. I drink it once a day.

Back