Eastern KS GTG: Pinwheel Cookies

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Let us know a date when ya can Jon. I hope I get my woodwagon back together before then and I will drive it to help break the new motor in!

I am on it. I will talk to my friend and with James, and come up with a couple of dates, and we will all pick one that works.

Oh crud. We also have to come up with a door prize to give away. I will see if Space has grown bored with the blow-up doll made famous in another thread.......I wonder if the patch kit held..:D

Just kidding. We will come up with a saw or something.

I am on it. I will talk to my friend and with James, and come up with a couple of dates, and we will all pick one that works.

Oh crud. We also have to come up with a door prize to give away. I will see if Space has grown bored with the blow-up doll made famous in another thread.......I wonder if the patch kit held..:D

Just kidding. We will come up with a saw or something.

Well, your not getting mine! But, i may be willing to donate one for the GTG. Let me check the ranks for some possible saws that somebody might want. List to come.:)

For what it is worth here is what I have noticed, the cookies will need to be thick enough that they can sink into the dirt and still have some above ground. I was lucky to get a year out of a 4" thick hardwood cookie on a walking and mower/tractor path. The softwood cookies failed at 6" much faster. The biggest issue was they would split apart and stick up out of the ground making walking and driving difficult and unpleasant. Might not be an issue as much for cars and trucks.

Now I lay down a very thick(8"-12") layer of course chips works much better until the grade of the hills is to steep and then it needs to be less than 3"-4".

Driving on them pacts it down fast and will create ruts quickly. Easy enough to fix. The cookies were always full of bugs, bees, etc., the chips not so much. The chips will grow vegetation so monthly spraying is required during the summer months. I have to replace the chips every year on the thick stuff and at least twice a years on the thin.

If you are really motivated a layer of branches and twigs under the chip will work much better than cookies especially on any sort of grade. PITA to do but worth the time and ends up taking less chip in the long run.

Last edited:
For what it is worth here is what I have noticed, the cookies will need to be thick enough that they can sink into the dirt and still have some above ground. I was lucky to get a year out of a 4" thick hardwood cookie on a walking and mower/tractor path. The softwood cookies failed at 6" much faster. The biggest issue was they would split apart and stick up out of the ground making walking and driving difficult and unpleasant. Might not be an issue as much for cars and trucks.

Now I lay down a very thick(8"-12") layer of course chips works much better until the grade of the hills is to steep and then it needs to be less than 3"-4".

Driving on them pacts it down fast and will create ruts quickly. Easy enough to fix. The cookies were always full of bugs, bees, etc., the chips not so much. The chips will grow vegetation so monthly spraying is required during the summer months. I have to replace the chips every year on the thick stuff and at least twice a years on the thin.

If you are really motivated a layer of branches and twigs under the chip will work much better than cookies especially on any sort of grade. PITA to do but worth the time and ends up taking less chip in the long run.

Branches and twigs might work better but they are no fun to cut.

I'm sure I'll be in. My internet has not been working today or tonight, have spent a long time to download this two page thread. I'll catch up with this thread in a day or two.

Thanks Teacherman.

Only way I could make it in April is if something cancels, calendar is full.
First few weeks of May look good, after that its hay time.

MO-Iron

Well, April 3 is Easter weekend, the 10th is first day of Farmer's Market, but the 17th and 24th are OK from her end. I can see if early May works, if it does for other folks. I want it to be something anyone who wants to can attend.

Latest posts

Back