Easy dolmar 5100/5105/510/460 muffler mod

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'd wager the heat from the cat is what took the front half to that wheat color.
Take a look at the heat discoloration regions and how they follow a flow pattern of both radiant and physical contact.
A crimped seam won't quite carry the heat like a brazed or welded one.

I was more or less commenting about the front and rear 1/2's being a different color. if you look back to the 3rd pic I posted on this thread you can see the other cat muffler I have has a rear 1/2 that is the same "goldish" color as the muffler fronts. It was just a little odd to see 2 different colors going on. Also that 4th muffler I just found seems like it is a regular "tin/silver" color front and back. I have to wonder if they didnt change materials on muffler construction several times. Thus ending up with some front and back 1/2's being made of a different material...???

Of all the people that have complained about these mufflers I'm surprised I'm not getting more hits on this thread... oh well!

I was more or less commenting about the front and rear 1/2's being a different color. if you look back to the 3rd pic I posted on this thread you can see the other cat muffler I have has a rear 1/2 that is the same "goldish" color as the muffler fronts. It was just a little odd to see 2 different colors going on. Also that 4th muffler I just found seems like it is a regular "tin/silver" color front and back. I have to wonder if they didnt change materials on muffler construction several times. Thus ending up with some front and back 1/2's being made of a different material...???

Of all the people that have complained about these mufflers I'm surprised I'm not getting more hits on this thread... oh well!

I actually think the back of that one was galvanized and the front half was stainless.

They are fun!
d0564294b95a785d7dc197a394251429.jpg
good thread Nate!

It was easy for me to read...
:laugh::laugh::laugh:

These were well done.
I just hack a few holes in the can...
:drinking:

Good thread Nate..

They are fun! good thread Nate!

Thanks guys. I just wanted to provide a better OEM looking solution for those that don't have a tig and don't want to spend an hour breaking up and digging out all the cat material.

I do like mike's tube design better but 1.5oz of silver soldier and several hours of work... ugh... whoever got that muffler is lucky to have it but not a real solution for production saws.

I havent gotten to put the "hollow can" style on the 510 yet but I already like the sound better with the muffler that has internal tube left in. I'll try to get some video clips up of what they sound like.

Hedge,
I never got an answer on base carb settings...???? The "L" is almost 2 full turns out on this one and idles nice. I am more conserned with the "H" since my fast tach went MIA.

Thanks guys. I just wanted to provide a better OEM looking solution for those that don't have a tig and don't want to spend an hour breaking up and digging out all the cat material.

I do like mike's tube design better but 1.5oz of silver soldier and several hours of work... ugh... whoever got that muffler is lucky to have it but not a real solution for production saws.

I havent gotten to put the "hollow can" style on the 510 yet but I already like the sound better with the muffler that has internal tube left in. I'll try to get some video clips up of what they sound like.

Hedge,
I never got an answer on base carb settings...???? The "L" is almost 2 full turns out on this one and idles nice. I am more conserned with the "H" since my fast tach went MIA.

Hold it wide open on the bench and richen it up till you can audibly tell she's dropping rpms.
Then lean it back up to the level where it started to drop, defaulting to the "rich" side. Make sure saw is at full "Heat" before setting.
Cause they'll get a tick leaner as they heat up in a work environment. Just like the 9010's do..
Shaun could probably explain why better than me.

Sorry Guys. I'm gonna miss a few calls on a photograph that should be real easy to see.
Monocular diplopia (per eye) makes it a real Bi### to read some static images and text on a flat surface/screen.
Hand me an object and let me roll it around and I'll talk your ears off with the details I find.
But I'm at a disadvantage on a flat display. It's bit me in the rear, here , before elswhere.
Agin sorry guys.

Hello guys.
I bought Dolmar 5105 few years ago....was thinking that I have cat muffler, but NO, for Croatian market is without cat, hollow can
Great saw, but just a little 2 weak, maybe 0,5 HP is missing to be perfect
What can I expect, is actualy there a need 2do muffler mod when there is non cat muffler on my saw?
From the airbox I moved pre filter and made another hole exact size as previous, and can say, there is slight progres, you can hear it, and there is faster acceleration, carb settings are normal.
Maybe, I wold try to port it, but have no time, no tools and experience

Few more details;
Saw is produced in 2011
Max rpm 13800
H / L screws not epoxied.
Zama carburetor
Electronic ignition
Muffler oem without cat
Removed prefilter & added new hole exact size as original for air intake
-----------------
What Is the next step?
I realy need some extra power...muffler mod on the muffler without cat...is there any difference?

Few more details;
Saw is produced in 2011
Max rpm 13800
H / L screws not epoxied.
Zama carburetor
Electronic ignition
Muffler oem without cat
Removed prefilter & added new hole exact size as original for air intake
-----------------
What Is the next step?
I realy need some extra power...muffler mod on the muffler without cat...is there any difference?
Just open the exhaust outlet to around a 2 cm hole.

Latest posts

Back