easy like Sunday morning

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
TreeVet was the $5900 for the whole tree or the limb? And did you see any tell tale signs in the tree that would lead you to believe that it was hollow?

It was for the limb. Haven't bid it as a removal yet but neighbor asked for one.

No way to resistograph the whole tree for decay but the presence of a co dom in that position with that high level target is a no brainer for a cable. The neighbor asked the tree service to do what it takes to make tree safe for her neighbor (victim of failure) she told me today.

it's amazing how necessary cranes can be.

I agree. When I moved my business out here in the early eighties I had been doing crane assisted removals for a while in NJ. Nobody did them here then and no crane companies would do them either. I found a local company that would do them but they only had the rough terrain cranes which didn't have a lot of reach and, with the huge tires, would crush driveways etc. One positive they had was that front and back wheels turned.

Don't know how some of this stuff got done way back in the day.....but we know it DID get done. Tons more risk involved obviously. Imagine way back with these big trees on houses without chainsaws?
attachment.php

...did you see any tell tale signs in the tree that would lead you to believe that it was hollow?
tv is right about the attachment being a bad sign, but the pic shows a big dark rotten spot where it failed. This would have been measurable by an aerial inspection.l

"I told her that I will also give a bid on remedial pruning and cabling but with absolutely no guarantee it will not fall apart again."

Strenuously refusing to guarantee anything on a cable job is a good way to NOT sell it. You CAN guarantee materials and workmanship, without guaranteeing against failure; from the attached:

“The materials and workmanship involved in the cabling system are guaranteed to be free of substantial defects. The Extra High Strength (EHS) cable shall comply with ASTM A475, Standard Specification for Zinc-Coated Steel Wire Strand. The fasteners will be stainless steel to resist corrosion. The design and installation of the system is guaranteed to comply with the ANSI A300 (Part 3) -2006 Standard Practices for Supplemental Support Systems and the 2007 edition of the ISA Best Management Practices for Tree Support. The tree and the support system should be inspected every three years.”

Last edited:
Nice pics old dog.

I wish I could get a crane for the tree I've got latter this morning. Huge white oak with giaint spread...half of it already busted off (twin oak, codom, whatever) and we cleaned that up. Now they want the other half down, problem is its a line tree and theyre both so old and broke that a crane is not an option. They are splitting the cost of 3000 - I would have loved to get 4500, but work is nice too.

Sent the boys to pick up some wood from another job so lose ends are tied up when I start this one and nobodys nagging me - this gives me time to mentally prep for today. This just came in yesterday and I was almost out of work, so its sort of sudden. This one scares me a bit and it dwarfs my bucket so it looks like its climb time. Wish me luck.

the pic shows a big dark rotten spot where it failed. This would have been measurable by an aerial inspection.l

This is mis information and I would suggest to disregard it. Not likely someone is going to possess the esp that it would take to look for a completely hidden decay area behind a co dom. Then resistograph it from that guess.

"I told her that I will also give a bid on remedial pruning and cabling but with absolutely no guarantee it will not fall apart again."

Strenuously refusing to guarantee anything on a cable job is a good way to NOT sell it. You CAN guarantee materials and workmanship, without guaranteeing against failure:

This, again, is hogwash. What they/anyone would want after a catastrophic accident is a guarantee that the tree will not fail again causing another accident. To guarantee the mtls. and the tree falls apart with cables that have not broken is silly and something I would expect you to post. Cables are only capable of so much, and not enough in this case in my estimation.

“The materials and workmanship involved in the cabling system are guaranteed to be free of substantial defects. The Extra High Strength (EHS) cable shall comply with ASTM A475, Standard Specification for Zinc-Coated Steel Wire Strand, so it resists corrosion and can last 30 years or more. The fasteners shall be manufactured of stainless steel to resist corrosion. The design and installation of the system is guaranteed to comply with the ANSI A300 (Part 3) -2006 Standard Practices for Supplemental Support Systems and the 2007 edition of the ISA Best Management Practices for Tree Support. The tree and the support system should be inspected every three years.”

Says nothing in your ANSI quote about the tree being too heavy and spread out and tall with low co doms and riddled with decay to benefit from cables or being unable to position the cables to benefit from the system because of location of leaders. This tree will likely hit on over 75% of indicators of high risk trees when evaluated.

You as usual think you know more than others from just a picture and can save any tree. Sometimes it is just "time" for a large isolated giant tree (shedding organism) to come down. If they and their neighbors want to take the risk (I suggested talking to other arbs prior to deciding as I mentioned) then I will do as good a job as humanly possible without a guarantee...... pruning (will lower vitality) and cabling if they choose me (and likely they will). If it was in my yard with 2 houses under it, a playground set, less than a block from the high school with heavy student traffic 2 times a day, road within reach.....I would choose removal.

hard to see everything in a picture.

I agree. When I moved my business out here in the early eighties I had been doing crane assisted removals for a while in NJ. Nobody did them here then and no crane companies would do them either. I found a local company that would do them but they only had the rough terrain cranes which didn't have a lot of reach and, with the huge tires, would crush driveways etc. One positive they had was that front and back wheels turned.

Don't know how some of this stuff got done way back in the day.....but we know it DID get done. Tons more risk involved obviously. Imagine way back with these big trees on houses without chainsaws?
attachment.php

that tree looks like it could be climbed and roped down no problem.the crane sure speeds it up.

Nice pics old dog.

I wish I could get a crane for the tree I've got latter this morning. Huge white oak with giaint spread...half of it already busted off (twin oak, codom, whatever) and we cleaned that up. Now they want the other half down, problem is its a line tree and theyre both so old and broke that a crane is not an option. They are splitting the cost of 3000 - I would have loved to get 4500, but work is nice too.

Sent the boys to pick up some wood from another job so lose ends are tied up when I start this one and nobodys nagging me - this gives me time to mentally prep for today. This just came in yesterday and I was almost out of work, so its sort of sudden. This one scares me a bit and it dwarfs my bucket so it looks like its climb time. Wish me luck.

Get a crane and climb off of it MDS....be safe.

good luck!

Nice pics old dog.

i have faith in your abilities.

that tree looks like it could be climbed and roped down no problem.the crane sure speeds it up.

It had huge laterals over the primaries and transformer and slate roof. Guy offered to climb removal and HO took my bid at a thousand dollars more. Think I am bull####ting I will pm his phone number. It was much bigger than it looks fishercat.

Get a crane and climb off of it MDS....be safe.

Thanks buddy.

I think we can handle it, I'll probably start off taking smaller pieces and then gradually go bigger. I've been doing this a while so I feel pretty safe with this assessment. Today I'll probably start off with the bucket and remove the smaller maple underneath it, then go from there. Sort of check out the scene.

Great photo's TV.

The next time you complain about not making enough money I will link you to this thread! $5900 is a nice return for that job.

Your point about value vs cost is well made. Too often you read threads about quoting cheap to get work where holding your price and doing the job right is so much more profitable in the long run. Of course thats the problem, it does take time to acheive the reputation you have earned in your town.

i believe you.

It had huge laterals over the primaries and transformer and slate roof. Guy offered to climb removal and HO took my bid at a thousand dollars more. Think I am bull####ting I will pm his phone number. It was much bigger than it looks fishercat.

that is why the other post says it's hard to tell by just a picture.i figured there was more to it than what i could see.

Latest posts

Back