Ebay 6401 retired HD saw - review

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

themaddhatter

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
After gifting my 7900 to my brother (he needed it and is wicked cheap), my 6401 was lonely. Been keeping an eye out for a companion for Jake (yes, I named my chainsaw). Last week, spotted on eBay an old HD rental 6401 (didn't say it was, but easy enough 2 spot with HD bar and engraved S/N on cover), with a Buy it Now for $250 with free shipping. Click, type, paypal, done.

This afternoon, a computer box showed up. Wifey at work, so she doesn't know :monkey:

Put it all together, fuel and oil, and swapped out the air filter (carb area needs some serious housekeeping, as it has old style cover). Choke, 6 pulls, pop. Drop choke, 2 pulls VRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA :chainsaw: I shall name it "Elwood".

No cut testing done (not dressed for it). Idled a minute, full throttled for a few to warm it up, checked oiler, modulated throttle idle to WOT, mid, etc, good snappy response. Little smokier than Jake, but nothing indicating terminal issues (plan to rejug in the future anywho). AV mounts are a little sloppy, but big whoop (replaceable). Gotta replace the fill caps, as it looked like a rabid badger used them for teething. Shut down, hot start it, 1 pull start, no issues. Cosmetically, looks like an old bar ho - you can see it was a looker in it's day, but she's been rode hard and put away wet. I don't know if the fact that these things are under fluorescent lights all day every day, but the cover is like a brownish gray from oxidation. Exterior bolts are kinda crusty, and the bar nuts look no better than the filler caps. But, that isn't a real detriment to performance, and easily replaceable.

Overall, best $250 I spent in quite some time. Hell, runs better than my 3 month old 6401 (other thread about hot start issue) that was almost 2x the cost. Ran them side-by-side, and my new one has a sluggish accel compared to the clapped out HD saw :dizzy:

At least I have a good chance that SOMETHING will be running when I need it.

Shane

(2) Makita DCS6401s "Jake" and "Elwood" - The Blues Brothers
Stihl 028AV - ancient but won't die

My ex-patriated DCS-6401 (the loaner) has been a great saw for $225 bucks. I have cleaned the air filter and it did get a new bar Windsor bar from Baileys awhile back, but it has seen no other care. I use it for jobs that no saw should be subjected too. It has cut roofs, framing, telephone poles, railroad ties and tree roots without complaint. It has also cut trees with all sorts of hardware disease including, embedded t posts, wire, cages, fences, nails and old electric wiring junk. The poor saw is just too stupid to die. It is also the only saw I will loan out. Comes with a bunch o safety chains (sharp but a little threadbare), mix and oil. Been keeping my eye on HD to try and get another but nothing yet. Great saw!

got 1 of them a month ago same as you describe with serial numbers and dirty as hell they even shipped it full of gas and bar oil--bar oil ended up everywhere inside the non padded box

fresh gas starts and runs fine

but that crappy safety chain is going in the garbage

my brand new 6401 still sits in the original box--can't make up my mind to sell it or keep it

the crappy home depot 6401 will get the conversion to 7900 some time later in the fall or winter

Yep, my thoughts were that Elwood would become an experimental saw (want to try BB, muffler mods, velocity stack if it ever is sold).

Was thinking about even trying to swap the carb off a Solo cousin to see if it would do anything more.

And I am reaaaally interested in trying to find a nonlimited coil from another platform to swap it.

Was considering calling it Frank, but Elwood seemed more appropriate.

Back