EBAY asking for Soc.Sec. Numbers

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A couple weeks ago my work went around the shop asking employees what the birthday and full name is of everyone and their family. I wouldn’t give them **** and made a big deal about it.

The reason they wanted it was to see if the information could help them save money for the company on insurance rates. But they were not going to share the savings with the employees.

Even if they would’ve share the savings they don’t need to know **** about my family.

Name
Rank
Serial number

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

"Time for your weekly checkup! So bend over, open wide, and say, 'AAH!'"

images

They are trying to get everyone to use their all new, comprehensive, in-house, payment system.
If they were to do this, one would think that they wouldn't charge a fee for handling the funds, but no........
They are offering a temporary discount, if you hurry up and sign on.

Anyone know whats going on? I'm extremely reluctant to provide my Soc. Sec. # as privacy issues seem to be going down the toilet. Very uneasy about sending them my number.
Yes its a way for the IRS to track people! No brainier there. I am sure they are after people making big bucks not a couple hundred .

I think it is about time to check out other options for selling my stuff.
This from PP website
How does PayPal report my sales to the IRS? Will I receive a tax Form 1099-K?
PayPal will track the payment volume of your account(s) to check whether your payment volume exceeds both of these levels in a calendar year:

• $20,000 USD in gross payment volume from sales of goods or services in a single calendar year
  • 200 payments for goods or services in the same year*
You may be asked to provide your tax identification number (TIN), such as a Social Security Number (SSN) or Employer Identification Number (EIN), to your existing account(s), if you don’t already have one on file. If your TIN fails verification, you will need to fill out an equivalent tax Form W-9.

If you cross the IRS thresholds in a given calendar year, PayPal will send Form 1099-K to you and the IRS for that year early in the following year.

You can access your 1099-K from your PayPal account by January 31st annually. Only those customers that meet the 1099-K eligibility requirements will see the 1099-K available for download in their account.

If there are any discrepancies between what is reported by the IRS for your tax identification number and name and what PayPal has on file and used for Form 1099-K, you may receive an IRS B-Notice.

You can find more information and FAQs by visiting the PayPal tax website.

*Except in Vermont and Massachusetts where the threshold is lower irrespective of the number of transactions.

Yes, Paypal has my financial info, as I recieve tax documents, and use Paypal as a bank, etc..
I see that the amount has moved to $20,000 now.
The explanation of E-Bay wanting your Soc. Security number, is likely that they are trying to get everyone on their payment system..

Yes, Paypal has my financial info, as I recieve tax documents, and use Paypal as a bank, etc..
I see that the amount has moved to $20,000 now.
The explanation of E-Bay wanting your Soc. Security number, is likely that they are trying to get everyone on their payment system..
NWO they want everything electronic and would like to do away with cash if they could get away with that. I aint kidding!

You may be confusing ebay with PayPal. I think they used to be one company, then split.

If you are a seller PayPal now asks for your social security number, identification etc. Why? IRS wants to know how much sales the people are making so they can get a handle on peoples/companies' taxable income from esales. . As I understand it, PayPal has no choice to comply.

I could see the IRS forcing ebay to gather sellers' ssns where they accept payment other than through PayPal - but this is the first I have heard. Might be true. Might not be.

You may be confusing ebay with PayPal. I think they used to be one company, then split.

If you are a seller PayPal now asks for your social security number, identification etc. Why? IRS wants to know how much sales the people are making so they can get a handle on peoples/companies' taxable income from esales. . As I understand it, PayPal has no choice to comply.

I could see the IRS forcing ebay to gather sellers' ssns where they accept payment other than through PayPal - but this is the first I have heard. Might be true. Might not be.
I bet it is!

Latest posts

Back