Ebay saws, are they safe to buy?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cannuck Jay

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I am in the market for a new saw and was wondering if Ebay is a reputable place to purchase from. If I buy a new saw off Ebay how do I know that it is new and not had some disaster hapen to it? Also will the dealer be able to extend any waranty on it without a sales receipt? Lastly, what if it is stolen? I am familar with ebay and its return policies so you do have some protection if it is not on the up an up. Should I ask for a serial number and check it out that way? Does anyone have any experince buying saws this way?

Thanks, Jay.

I've bought several saws on ebay and have not been ripped off, lied to or dissapointed when the saw arrived. So I would say no problem, however , they have all been older saws so I have expected to do some work and find some parts.
If I wanted a new saw I would go to my local dealer and spend my money there. No problems with warranty work and future repairs. There is a lot to be said for being able to walk into a shop and sort out a problem in person.
I have found that by staying with my local guy for new saws I have got back any perceived savings again and again in cheaper bars, chains and getting small repairs free of charge over the years. Not only that but you can't have a chat on a wet day with a computer screen like you can with your local dealer !!

I think most saws on ebay arrive as described, the harder part is finding a decent deal on chainsaw on ebay, especialy when you factor in shipping

I think the op was asking about new saws on ebay not used ones. I get used ones myself, but I don't think I would get one of the supposedly new ones from there.

NO

About 40% of the time I've bought something on Ebay, there has been a major problem. There are some really good sellers on there and some really bad ones too. I've had good luck with Wise Sales (jillz1), Atlantic_tractor and Choo_Choo_parts. I was one of the people who got ripped off on the non-existant 357xp's. Make sure you pay with Paypal and USE A CREDIT CARD for the entire purchase!

FWIW my latest purchase was made at my local Stihl dealer :clap:
and I'M VERY HAPPY!

I've bought several good saws of there. Most only needed gas and oil and tuning. I've only bought saws that had a return policy that I could return it if it wasn't what they said it was.

If I were buying a new saw, then I would go to a dealer. You are not likely to find a new saw that is much under what you would pay at a local dealer, and on some occasions the saw will go above retail. I keep up with it every day on certain saws.:greenchainsaw:

Ive never bought a new saw off of ebay only used. I can say Ive really ever seen a new one. But I havent been looking though. You thoughts sound reasonable though.:)

Last winter I bought an Echo CS-520 off of Ebay for $300. When it arrived the saw was spotlessly clean and didnt appear to have much run time on it.
After cutting several truckloads of wood with it and having absolutely no problems whatsoever; I have no regrets.

It seems to me that every time I've seen a brand new Stihl on ebay the asking price was the same as or slightly higher than I could buy the same saw at my local dealer. I usually use ebay to get old or obsolete stuff that I can't get locally.

I bought a 385xp from Wise sales a couple of years ago. Before I pulled the trigger I found a local dealer that would do the warranty work if needed. Saved about $150 between the lower saw price and the dreaded sales tax.

It seems to me that every time I've seen a brand new Stihl on ebay the asking price was the same as or slightly higher than I could buy the same saw at my local dealer. I usually use ebay to get old or obsolete stuff that I can't get locally.

+1

Same for parts.. ALWAYS check with your dealer before buying parts on Ebay... (Sorry Fish)

Half of the time (in my experience anyway) after shipping, you could have done better, and gotten the part sooner at the dealer. Now, that being said, I have bought parts on Ebay and saved a ton... Just check with the dealer.. That's all I'm sayin'! :)

Bought a echo cs 346 and it was brand new just like the guy said. We should start a list of good and bad sellers on this site

Ebay saws, are they safe to buy?

Its difficult to respond to all-inclusive statements like that. It is based on the attributes of the seller. I have utilized Ebay (buying and selling) as well as other services like Craig's list. The things that I have sold have been accurately and fairly represented. I would have NO problem speaking to buyers of my stuff on a face-to-face basis after the sale.

Can you get some dead-beats? Sure. Just like in anything - there are good guys and bad guys.

If this is your only saw, save your $ and buy new one. By the time you get your used ebay saw up to par, it will most likely be as much $ as buying a new saw.

The warranty for homeowners from Stihl is 1yr , and Husky has a 2yr . Echo has a 5yr.

Ebay is a craps shoot ! I think the deals on saws seem to be few and far between now a days.

What kind of work do you plan on doing with it? What kind of saw did you have in mind?

New saws on Ebay? Read:

Avoid!

I have had several deals gone bad on Ebay regarding chainsaws. Stolen saws, scams, knock-offs, problem saws, yadda yadda. Oh, and some good ones in there too. High risk, not worth it. Also you are unlikely to get a service warantee.

Latest posts

Back