Ebay Sellers - Ever Beat False Defective Item Claim?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SteveSr

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Hello,

I know that a lot of you are Ebay sellers and am looking for some advice/pointers on how to defend myself from Such claims. The item was sold with NO returns allowed.

I recently had a case where a buyer bought and received an item and then claimed that it was defective just so he wouldn't have to pay the return shipping. I grudgingly decided to accept the return rather than risk the buyer opening a case and then loosing it. So I lost shipping cost BOTH ways but got the item back.

BTW , the item was thoroughly tested in the intended application before it was shipped and worked perfectly. when I received the item back I retested the item and it was still completely functional. I guess that I lucked out in this regard.

Any suggestions? Any successes?

That wont work. Sold an 084 to a Lynch from Fla, right after the hurricane. It came back to me 2 months later with a scored p&c and a different recoil handle and rope. Mine was an elastostart, theirs was generic lawnmower. Had pics of the original saw, comp pics, piston pics, and showed them that the recoil handle had been switched. Ebay and especially paypal sided with the theives and gave them $1k back. Free saw to trash after you get your work done. Ebay will always side with the buyer. Your lucky that all you lost was shipping costs.

As a seller you accept a ton of liability with situations like this. Unfortunately there is no recourse, you have to just bite the bullet so to say. I have dealt with it several times, typically I just put the item back up for sale and usually am able to build that loss back into the resale. I hope you can as well, good luck with it... Sincerely.

That wont work. Sold an 084 to a Lynch from Fla, right after the hurricane. It came back to me 2 months later with a scored p&c and a different recoil handle and rope. Mine was an elastostart, theirs was generic lawnmower. Had pics of the original saw, comp pics, piston pics, and showed them that the recoil handle had been switched. Ebay and especially paypal sided with the theives and gave them $1k back. Free saw to trash after you get your work done. Ebay will always side with the buyer. Your lucky that all you lost was shipping costs.
Agreed

The last item I sold on feebay was an original 1900 antique steam engine, that powered a steam automobile. It wasn’t locked- up, and you could turn the engine freely. I sold it “as-is” and described it the best I could. Some crook in Baltimore, MD bought it. He had numerous complaints and had “private” feedback. I lost the engine, and almost 1000.00. This nut knew how to work the system. I had 100 percent positive feedback, and had been a member since ‘01, with 1200 or so transactions. Never, ever again will I buy or sell on feebay again. It just isn’t worth the cost or trouble.

I’ve beat a few, accepted bs returns if they paid shipping and sometimes just refund and let them keep it if I don’t have much in it. I had an idiot break a mantis recoil and eBay refunded them. They ended up giving me me my money back and letting the buyer keep the refund. If you call Ebay as soon as a return request is sent and stay on them you can make out ok. I have never been forced into refunding and paying return shipping.

Yeah, that is common, and I have never won. It is real bad in the flywheel department. When they shear the key, they immediately call it "defective.

I had one guy slice a molded fuel line in two with a razor knife when he opened the mailer.
Of course, it was "defective", and I had to pay the shipping both ways.

I was real pissed-off that day...

If you allow returns then the buyer pays for shipping unless he can prove the item is defective. I know a guy that has acquired many saws from eBay and then claimed they were defective. most of these saws if not all were sold as not running or parts and he still received his money back, due to the cost of shipping and selling price many of the buyers let him keep the saw. He brags about on another forum and says he has 200 saws ( all junk) and he likes to brag when he stiffs a seller. He is a retired postal employee, a Seinfeld like Newman character, with no character. He belongs here too.

If you allow returns then the buyer pays for shipping unless he can prove the item is defective. I know a guy that has acquired many saws from eBay and then claimed they were defective. most of these saws if not all were sold as not running or parts and he still received his money back, due to the cost of shipping and selling price many of the buyers let him keep the saw. He brags about on another forum and says he has 200 saws ( all junk) and he likes to brag when he stiffs a seller. He is a retired postal employee, a Seinfeld like Newman character, with no character. He belongs here too.

Hes a dik and part of the problem...

I have never bought or sold on ebay. Never will ether. To much risk ether way. Not worth it.

I figured the risk is worth it. I can sell stuff on eBay that I would not be able to sell locally. If I figured it out percentage wise I’ve probably had more issues selling on the trading post here than on eBay. You don’t have the tire kicking and the I’ll send payment on this day and never hear from them again.

I figured the risk is worth it. I can sell stuff on eBay that I would not be able to sell locally. If I figured it out percentage wise I’ve probably had more issues selling on the trading post here than on eBay. You don’t have the tire kicking and the I’ll send payment on this day and never hear from them again.

The tire kickers comes with selling anything. At least if they can see it, test it, feel it, touch it and except it as is. There can be no argument if they change there mind or have an issue with it after the sale. They have looked at it and excepted it as is. Buying site unseen and if it was tested and by who and what standards from a stranger that you never have set eyes on is a risk to say the least. Selling or buying site unseen is a big risk for sure.

I get lots of tire kickers and tons of questions like "I want to use the manifold on another engine, would you measure the distance between inlets so i know it will fit", oh yeah and after you buy it and rearrange it with the torch you will claim I sold you the wrong part. Or the "will it fit on my machine that isn't mentioned in the description" I have no idea, but if you buy it I will expect to see it coming back to me. Or I love this one most of all, "You had a part for sale last year and now I don't see it, where is it?", Well let me find out who I sold it too and I'll supply you with their email, home address and phone number and you can ask them.

I like the local sale people who come to look at something without cash, agree on a price for when they say they are coming back for it then wait three weeks to renegotiate a price
Ot they want you to hold it until payday, or ask you to deliver it before they've seen it or it or paid for it, uh NO.

Latest posts

Back