Echo 280e new chain

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jeeptrekker

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
First off hello to everyone. Been reading here alot deciding on a new mid sized saw to clean up some dead trees in a few places ...went with a 490. And while I was going thru my "yard" saw a 280e when I went to put the new chain on I get this? I cross referenced the oregon bar number 140SDAA041 NB first and came up with nothing. I then tried the sticker on back of saw and after many obsolete part numbers found it called for a 3/8 lp .050 52dl. Ordered new chain package says 3/8 LP .050 52dl. I'm sure I'm just a dummy but what am I missing? Thank you in advance. KIMG1226.JPG KIMG1227.JPG KIMG1225.JPG

Attachments

• KIMG1228.JPG
    KIMG1228.JPG
    974.8 KB · Views: 6
According to the Oregon chart you are correct with an A041 Mount bar. That also shows 52 drive links. Can you see any numbers stamped in the drive links of the chain that doesn’t fit? Pic?

According to the Oregon chart you are correct with an A041 Mount bar. That also shows 52 drive links. Can you see any numbers stamped in the drive links of the chain that doesn’t fit? Pic?
. These are the only markings on the chain
KIMG1234.JPG

Oregon bar model 140SDAA041 lists as being 1/4" pitch.

Carlton drive link marked "N1" indicates 3/8LP pitch.

Someone likely converted the saw to run 1/4" pitch, rendering the sticker on the saw meaningless. Look for a pitch stamp on the saw's drive sprocket to confirm that it's also 1/4" pitch (to match the bar's pitch).

Oregon bar model 140SDAA041 lists as being 1/4" pitch.

Carlton drive link marked "N1" indicates 3/8LP pitch.

Someone likely converted the saw to run 1/4" pitch, rendering the sticker on the saw meaningless. Look for a pitch stamp on the saw's drive sprocket to confirm that it's also 1/4" pitch (to match the bar's pitch).
Good catch. I totally missed it, I just looked at A041.

Thank you both very much. I knew I was missing something. I will double check the sprocket, get some proper chain on it and let you know how I make out. Again thank you for the great info and fast response.

Yup converted to 1/4" pitch. What number of drive links would I get? Oregon bar selector says 76dl. Just trying to double check but I forgot to count the links this morning before work.

Thinking I should change the saw back to 3/8 pitch as there isn't much as far as chain selection in 1/4 pitch. All I see are semi chisel carving chains...Saws not in front of me but i thought it was just a nut holding the sprocket on..is the conversion a serious pain or require special tools to accomplish?

Once you get the clip off,
Thinking I should change the saw back to 3/8 pitch as there isn't much as far as chain selection in 1/4 pitch. All I see are semi chisel carving chains...Saws not in front of me but i thought it was just a nut holding the sprocket on..is the conversion a serious pain or require special tools to accomplish?

Not difficult. There are plenty of online videos that show the general idea.

Special tools for sprocket replacement:
1) Piston stop (not always needed, depends on saw)
2) Clutch removal tool that fits your model/model family (not always needed, sometimes a regular socket wrench works)

There are various homemade versions of these tools if you don't want to purchase them. Many have taken a grinder to an old socket wrench to make a clutch removal tool.

Thanks again I'll do some more google-fu and start acquiring the needed parts and tools. I probably should buy a new top handle to match my 490 but I like this old clunker and we've come many miles since I trimmed fruit trees and did yard clean ups as a kid.

Latest posts

Back