Echo 330/360t improving air intake, time cuts comparison

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

heyduke

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member
Reaction score
You buy a new Echo 330t or 360t, the first thing you do is fix the muffler and retune. However, I've heard for some time that there was more to be gained on the intake side. Many thanks to bikemike for articulating how to proceed and where to look.

Here's what the airfilter looks like:
1.jpg

here's the bracket that holds the filter:
air_box_0933-sm.jpg

The carb has a bore of 19mm at the choke plate:
carb_bore_0938-sm.jpg

the bore thru the bracket tapers to under 14mm.
bracket_bore_0942-sm.jpg

it's like the saw is running with a partial choke and accounts for the way the saw tends to spool up slowly whe you pull the throttle. the solution:
grinder_0947-sm.jpg

so i did my 330t first. it has a 15mm carb, then my 360t with the 19mm carb. i bolted everything back together and retuned. i was surprised that i had to tune the H jet much leaner when i expected to enrich it. that shows how much the bracket was messing with the carb's venturi. did some timed cuts against my stihl 020t. most hombres here think they're the gold standard for top handles. so have a look. the numbers are at the end and speak for themselve:

You buy a new Echo 330t or 360t, the first thing you do is fix the muffler and retune. However, I've heard for some time that there was more to be gained on the intake side. Many thanks to bikemike for articulating how to proceed and where to look.

Here's what the airfilter looks like:
View attachment 426021

here's the bracket that holds the filter:
View attachment 426025

The carb has a bore of 19mm at the choke plate:
View attachment 426031

the bore thru the bracket tapers to under 14mm.
View attachment 426032

it's like the saw is running with a partial choke and accounts for the way the saw tends to spool up slowly whe you pull the throttle. the solution:
View attachment 426033

so i did my 330t first. it has a 15mm carb, then my 360t with the 19mm carb. i bolted everything back together and retuned. i was surprised that i had to tune the H jet much leaner when i expected to enrich it. that shows how much the bracket was messing with the carb's venturi. did some timed cuts against my stihl 020t. most hombres here think they're the gold standard for top handles. so have a look. the numbers are at the end and speak for themselve:

So you like the intake tricks do up the filter cover too

so does the air filter still fit right? any dust or fines get through? im gonna have to go peek at mine...

also what were your rpms i think you could maybe go a tad leaner....almost seemed like she was still 4 stroking in the cut? im gonna watch it a few more times..... i go rich on all my echos as well ....always worried about burning them up .....would been cool to see a video on doing the process.....ok im heading back to play it a few more times then go peek at my saw....

i see the filter fits over the out side you grind the inside so no problems with fines

so does the air filter still fit right? any dust or fines get through? im gonna have to go peek at mine...
Everything is sealed no dust leaks. You put a few holes in the bottom of the filter cover above the spark plug and it also allows it to breath better

Attachments

• 1431870198475.jpg
    1431870198475.jpg
    894.8 KB · Views: 71
  • 1431871859736.jpg
    1431871859736.jpg
    797.5 KB · Views: 72
also what were your rpms i think you could maybe go a tad leaner....almost seemed like she was still 4 stroking in the cut? im gonna watch it a few more times..... i go rich on all my echos as well ....always worried about burning them up .....would been cool to see a video on doing the process.....ok im heading back to play it a few more times then go peek at my saw....

funny, tuning after this field mod was the opposite of what i expected. i thought that due to increased air volume i'd need to go richer but it was just the opposite. i had to go more than a quarter turn leaner, probably because the venturi was finally working properly. and yes, like you, i do tend to err a little on the rich side. in this case i just took a simple approach (KISS is more like it.) after the mod max rpm was around 10.5k. i leaned the high side until they maxxed at 13k and enriched the low side until the throttle blipped nicely then set idle speed to 3k. according to spec max should be 13.5k. it's interesting that the larger saw, the 360, got whupped by .30sec average time and the little 330 beat the stihl 020 by a full two seconds. that really surprised me. the 020 is in pretty stout condition. anyway, i may try to lean out the 360 a little more to see if i can make it better than it's little brother.

i see the filter fits over the out side you grind the inside so no problems with fines

that is correct, i just enlarged the bore of the filter bracket until i was the same as the carb. that was 15mm for the 330 and 19mm for the 360. i also gave it a bit of taper, bigger on the filter side than the carb side to hopefully reduce turbulence. i also worked on that little flat spot at the top.

Latest posts

Back