echo 450p build MM and port

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nice. Loving the video documentation. Did you actually feel the difference running it or is it unnoticeable other than the stop watch? If you did feel the difference was it top end, low end torque ext?

I felt it had better mid range. It felt stronger while lugging it but it may have just been that I "wanted" or "knew" it would have more power, if that makes any sense? I think I'm going to dual port the muffler and polish/ clean up some burrs on the intake next. I wanted to while I was in there before but figured that it wouldn't be a true representation for the delete, and anaerobic gasket maker is cheap.

Cut a load of wood with the little echo this week, elm, oak and some hickory. I dropped them with the jonsered, cut up with the echo. I was happy with how this little saw ran. it pulls the 16" bar with plenty of good midrange power. My brother in law dropped a couple of trees with it and seemed to like it too.

It's about 1lb lighter than my old husqvarna 455 and really close on power. without running them side by side I can't tell a difference between them. Both have a 16" bar, and the husky has the muffler opened up. But I was never very happy with that husky anyways.

I will be getting another load cut up tomorrow and will primarily use the echo again.

I have some new deflectors coming from @Red97, the plastic did get a little hot, and will dual port it with the new deflectors.

i bought one of these off flea-bay a couple years ago -- scored it for $80 some odd --burnt piston and all--lol

i have a friend that had a saw chop and he had a few leftover parts for it , some type of OEM piston -- not sure if it was FOR the 450 --but it fit--

anyways it a real little screamer -- gobs of torque too -- runs so well , it and the cs-530 that i'm in no hurry to grab any of these 50cc deals i keep finding .

don't know how it was stock --but after a MM , tune up and a slight compression bump-- like wow mighty-mouse--lol

long ago i had a ms-290 super and a husky 455 or 460 rancher -- this things smokes either of those power to weight --

it is more like the old husky 50cc or the old 350 before they got gutless-- the great thing is the 450p is the best starting saw i have-- and i got a bunch of saws--lol

i have threatened to do a cs-400 as i hear people raving about how good they do after a tune and a mod , one of these days i may score on off flea-bay---

have not had a chance to do much with the saw besides run it. have about 7 tanks run through it, moved the vent back over by the handle, after about 5 tanks it rubbed a hole in fuel line and was sucking air. dual ported muffler now, went through and cleaned up the intake side and at the air filter base.

still very happy with the saw as is now, but still plan on porting at some point.

my MM 450p will smoke a ms290 or a husqvarna 455-- no contest --

ii think i'm gonna put a 20" 325 on it to see if it will pull it -- it just runs away with the 16" 325 set up--

have not forgotten about this saw yet. just took video for pre porting, this week, after I get done building Christmas presents, I'm gonna do some grinding on the cylinder.
picked up new bits, will take some pictures before and after of cylinder porting so you guys can tell me how bad of a job I did.
has dual port muffler, base gasket delete, just got a brand new loop of Oregon speed cut chain

started grinding on the saw past few days, widened exhaust and intake, need to do final measurements may widen exhaust side a little more. staying within 70% of piston dia.

I have not touched transfers on cylinder, besides a little sand paper action, did take a little out of crankcase, well acutally quite a bit, just matched cylinder to crankcase as best as I could. right now it looks pretty close. need to final sand that.

opened up intake boot a little, took quite a bit out of intake gasket to port match.

exhaust needs final polishing, for the life of me I can't seem to find my smaller collet for dremel.

made no timing changes as of yet.

closed transfers, don't know much about that, will probably just leave them alone. Thought about widening between the 2 transfers, is that a good idea? I would think it would increase velocity of it is wider at the bottom.

Hopefully this makes a little sense, it is almost 2am and I'm about 5 glasses of jack in.

here is a couple of pics

Attachments

• 20171229_012431.jpg
    20171229_012431.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 34
  • 20171229_012402.jpg
    20171229_012402.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 32
  • 20171229_012443.jpg
    20171229_012443.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 33
should you take the intake out 60% to 70% piston diameter as well? would that reduce the velocity of the incoming charge?

exhaust is as wide as I'm going to take it now. still needs polish. took another 1/8 off 1/16 each side

using same measurements for intake is huge compared to the original port. originally intake was smaller than exh. I really wish I woukd have measured to keep ratio the same. a little late now.

pics of exh port before and after final widening.

pic of intake before. it is almost as wide as the transfers. don't think I should take it that wide. looking for opinions

Attachments

• 20171229_163646.jpg
    20171229_163646.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 33
  • 20171229_165734.jpg
    20171229_165734.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 34
  • 15145957054731933698872.jpg
    15145957054731933698872.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 33
widened exhaust and intake, matched up transfer ports on crankcase to the cylinder. polished exhaust, intake was taken up to 240 grit. opened up intake boot to match intake port. dual port and gutted muffler, base gasket deleted.

just need to get cylinder and crankcase cleaned up, and widen muffler inlet to match exhaust port and put saw back together. hopefully will have a ported video by the weekend

Attachments

• 20180104_001059.jpg
    20180104_001059.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 18
  • 20180104_001145.jpg
    20180104_001145.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 17
cleaned out crankcase and cylinder. matched muffler inlet and gasket to exhaust port. saws together, letting sealant set up.

ran saw, same wood same chain, still playing a little with tuning but this was the first cut post porting. down to 4 seconds, pre port was 6 seconds. another gain of 2 seconds. for comparison my ported jonsered 2165 is 3 seconds in same wood.

picked up a lot of mid range torque, you can really lean on it more without bogging down. after I made video i wqs playing around in bigger oak and can really feel the difference

will post videos of before and after, currently uploading to youtube

Latest posts

Back