Echo 50cc port job or buy a 60cc?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smakdown

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I have an Echo 500p and am looking at having it ported. My question is should I spend the money to have it ported or buy the 60cc Timberwolf for a few dollars more?

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

I have a Dolmar 421 with 16" bar that I love & the 500p with 20" and a MS 170 with 12". I am a firewood hack and 20" bar works for me but the 500p just doesn't have a enough ass to pull it very well.

Hmmm, good question. What is your current list of running saws? I'm just a guy that scrounges around sides of roads after power line company drops trees or I get side jobs or help out friends and sometimes have to manage trees on my property. What about you?

Hmmm, good question. What is your current list of running saws? I'm just a guy that scrounges around sides of roads after power line company drops trees or I get side jobs or help out friends and sometimes have to manage trees on my property. What about you?
See above

I was in the middle of posting the first reply to your question and had to take care of the baby. I see people responded before me and my questions were answered. Anyways I would think the the 590 would help you pull 20 inch better and I if remember correctly they used to be sold with the option of a 24 and 27 inch bar.

Hmmm that is a hard one and I doubt there is any wrong answer. I personally like the 60cc over a 50 but that is me and fits the wood I cut. I also am a big advocate of two saws. Or more. Although I would want a bit more spread. Like a 40, 60 or 50, 70. Or 30, 42, 61, 95.
An echo 361p could be nice to go with your 500. To bad echo doesn't have a 720p

Hmmm that is a hard one and I doubt there is any wrong answer. I personally like the 60cc over a 50 but that is me and fits the wood is cut. I also am a big advocate of two saws. Or more. Although I would want a bit more spread. Like a 40, 60 or 50, 70. Or 30, 42, 61, 95.
CoreyB, that is the problem currently. I feel that the 421 is the equal of the 500p. The 500 should be running a 16" bar but I need something to pull a 20" bar. If I was going to spend $500+ I would buy a 6100 but looking for a cheaper option if it is out there?
I was in the middle of posting the first reply to your question and had to take care of the baby. I see people responded before me and my questions were answered. Anyways I would think the the 590 would help you pull 20 inch better and I if remember correctly they used to be sold with the option of a 24 and 27 inch bar.

CoreyB, that is the problem currently. I feel that the 421 is the equal of the 500p. The 500 should be running a 16" bar but I need something to pull a 20" bar. If I was going to spend $500+ I would buy a 6100 but looking for a cheaper option if it is out there?

A 590 will pull a 20" real nice. May want to open the muffler a bit to get more umph but they are solid saws.

Hmmm that is a hard one and I doubt there is any wrong answer. I personally like the 60cc over a 50 but that is me and fits the wood I cut. I also am a big advocate of two saws. Or more. Although I would want a bit more spread. Like a 40, 60 or 50, 70. Or 30, 42, 61, 95.
An echo 361p could be nice to go with your 500. To bad echo doesn't have a 720p
Hey Corey. Good answer all summed up. When tax returns arrive soon I will mostly be using the 42 and newly bought 61.

my advice -- since i don't know how good or bad the 500p runs i can only guess it is a lot like my 530p -- now my little 530p as got quite a thump to it and it pulls a 20" bar pretty well with 325 on it---

however the 590 timber wolf i bought in 2014 pulls a 3/8 chain faster on a 20" and it will pull a 24" pretty good too-- yes i opened up the muffler and tuned the carb-- i did the same with the 530p --

even better still is this makita/dolmar 6100p which can be had for c-note and a half more at times than the 590 -- and the 590 is still a "deal' for what they sell for new --

save up some coins and buy a 6100 - its more like a 620P or better in power and it don't need a MM or carb re-tune-- mine just screams-- bone stock too--

it depends on what you want -- lots of good options-- nothing wrong with porting that 500p if thats what you want to do .

I live near Denver and Echo saws are practically considered junk here, unfortunate for resale value.

There has been two or three CS-590's and at least one CS-600P and one CS-620P that I have seen sell for super cheap....

one of the 590's was listed for $200 and it is brand new in the box, never used....

I have seen one 590 used in good shape sell for $150

The 600 and 620 both were listed at $250 used in nice shape...

My point is, find a good deal on an Echo 590/600/620 on craigslist and keep your 500p to try your hand at porting and to have a smaller, lighter saw for backup and medium work... apparently, all echos benefit from muffler mods, cutting limiter caps, and tuning, even before a base gasket delete.

I feel that the 421 is the equal of the 500p. The 500 should be running a 16" bar but I need something to pull a 20" bar.
You kind of pointed out the problem. No matter how nice they may be those Echos have short exhaust durations, which has predictable impacts on power output.

Maybe try just a muffler mod and a loop of really sharp full chisel and see how the 500 does then? Or try a Narrow Kerf 0.325" bar and chain.

Or do a muffler mod on the 421 (gut the cat), and put one of the GB 68DL lo pro bars on it. It's a full inch longer than that 62DL 18" bars, and an inch shorter than the 20" bar on the 500, so it's almost as long as you wanted. I run one on a heavily ported 42cc Poulan and it pulls it well with a loop of 91VXL. Then you can ditch the Echos and keep and eye open for something larger with some power.

https://leftcoastsupplies.com/product/18-gb-arbor-tech-bar/

You kind of pointed out the problem. No matter how nice they may be those Echos have short exhaust durations, which has predictable impacts on power output.

Maybe try just a muffler mod and a loop of really sharp full chisel and see how the 500 does then? Or try a Narrow Kerf 0.325" bar and chain.

Or do a muffler mod on the 421 (gut the cat), and put one of the GB 68DL lo pro bars on it. It's a full inch longer than that 62DL 18" bars, and an inch shorter than the 20" bar on the 500, so it's almost as long as you wanted. I run one on a heavily ported 42cc Poulan and it pulls it well with a loop of 91VXL. Then you can ditch the Echos and keep and eye open for something larger with some power.

https://leftcoastsupplies.com/product/18-gb-arbor-tech-bar/
Both saws have MM, tuned and 40:1,both have chisel. The 421 is just a beast!

Both saws have MM, tuned and 40:1,both have chisel. The 421 is just a beast!

Oh OK. Try out that GB bar - shipping is kinda high but the bar is not, and it won't set you back much. 68DL is not common though so you may have to order some. At the worst it will be useable if a little slow.

you could try one of those NK chain/bar set ups-- seems like balies has um on sale -- on my 530p also a 50cc saw i have run semi skip in .325 on a 20" it cuts fine but it is not fast-- like the 6100 is-- only thing it is now extra slow topping up limbs.

there should be some good used 60+ cc saws around, you can likely pick up a used timber wolf i would expect you could get one very reasonable , as thousands have been sold through the box stores and rental places---

Oh OK. Try out that GB bar - shipping is kinda high but the bar is not, and it won't set you back much. 68DL is not common though so you may have to order some. At the worst it will be useable if a little slow.

I have one of those GB. 67 dl works best for me. Didn't have enough adj. For 68.

Latest posts

Back