Echo 550 EVL/550 EVLP Owners...need chain brake advice.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Den

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
I have numerous Echo 550 EVL saws. Not a single one of them has a chain brake. If I'm correct, the saw must have the EVLP designation to have a chain brake.
So I looked into installing a chain brake on a regular EVL. But I think I need more than just the side cover, band and linkage, and the handgaurd piece. I'm afraid I'll need to convert it from an in-board clutch/drum to an out-board clutch/drum.
Am I correct, do I have to change it to an outboard clutch and drum in order to install the chain brake assembly?

P.S. Pictures would be awsome if anyone has them.:happy:

If somebody out there has an Echo 550 EVL/EVLP with a chain brake, I'd appreciate if you would let me know if it has an outboard clutch...pics would be even better.
Just trying to figure out if its worth converting these saws over to a chain brake

There were some videos on YouTube of the echo 550 saws, there was examples of both. Not sure if they are still there.

I will look, pretty sure I do not have any with brakes, probably do not have any 550s.

Ereplacements has an ipl for the 550 with the chain brake.

Thank you "Justsaws".
To be honest, I'm happy with the saws current inboard clutch and drum with circular floating sprocket. I don't really want to switch all that around to an outboard and a spur sprocket.
Unfortunately, I'm looking at the logistics of it, and I don't see how I can put a brake on a 550EVL without changing over the clutch/drum.

It has been awhile since working on an Echo 500 or 550, I am thinking that the brake setup is all on the crankcase. I do not think that the clutch setup needed to be changed in any way.

Many of the parts are availible on line.

I do not have any of these saws on hand to look at.

Before spending money on the chainbrake bits make sure that the antivibe mounts and intake boots are in good shape. Almost never see the old echos with bad piston and cylinders unless the moots were bad and the boot was torn. Solid saws, if you can source the rubber parts.

In all the echo EVL's I've owned I have never had a bad carb boot...but have had many many deteriorated motor mounts, and they are expensive little pieces of rubber !!!

Stopped by my local Echo dealer the other day. He went over the old part numbers and looked at microfish films for all of the 550 EVL chain brake stuff.
It appears as though it is not necessary for me to change the sprocket/drum/clutch components in order to install a chain brake on the 550 EVL's. Nice to know !!

Back