ECHO 58 Volt Cordless Chainsaw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just picked one up yesterday. For the price nothing else beats it, paid $270 for the saw, battery, and charger. Will not get a chance to try it for a week or two but will report my experience. On a scale of 1-10 as far as skill and use with a chainsaw I am about a 4. I have cut maybe 10 cords my entire life. And half of that since moving into our new house in TN 13 months ago.
I liked everything about the saw except the weight. My main reason for buying one is to take care of small projects that pop up without having to start and listen to a gas saw.

Unfortunately I just bought a CS490 saw and a gas blower 2 weeks ago. So the new blower is out. Will research trimmers because I need one capable of using a blade to mow down briars and small saplings.

Unfortunately I just bought a CS490 saw and a gas blower 2 weeks ago. So the new blower is out. Will research trimmers because I need one capable of using a blade to mow down briars and small saplings.
The battery trimmer won't cut it. It's a great trimmer, but not enough power for a blade. I also tried my pole saw attachment...only good on 1-1/2" or smaller.

Cordless saws have proved to be useful while climbing, but as mentioned they do have some limits. If you are cutting a lot of 8 to 10'' limbs then you will have to lower the cordless an pull up the gas modle. Thanks

Have no plans to climb up any tree, for any reason, period! LOL. We live in the middle of 42 acres of mostly oak trees and there is always something leaning or a tree that fell down and needs to be moved.

The battery trimmer won't cut it. It's a great trimmer, but not enough power for a blade. I also tried my pole saw attachment...only good on 1-1/2" or smaller.
I have the Oregon 40V system. The string trimmer is good for grass / weeds, but I don't think that it could handle a brush blade. The pole saw, on the other hand, is surprisingly effective - I have cut through 8" branches doing storm clean up. That maxed out the 8" guide bar, and took a little patience, but I have regularly cut 4" limbs with it.
These cordless tools keep improving, including lawn mowers, snow throwers, etc. (along with all of the contractor tools: table saws, band saws, etc.). There likely will be battery operated brush cutters offered in the not too distant future.

Philbert

I have the Oregon 40V system. The string trimmer is good for grass / weeds, but I don't think that it could handle a brush blade. The pole saw, on the other hand, is surprisingly effective - I have cut through 8" branches doing storm clean up. That maxed out the 8" guide bar, and took a little patience, but I have regularly cut 4" limbs with it.
These cordless tools keep improving, including lawn mowers, snow throwers, etc. (along with all of the contractor tools: table saws, band saws, etc.). There likely will be battery operated brush cutters offered in the not too distant future.

Philbert
The Echo with the pole saw will cut bigger, but it's slow going. I agree they are coming of age.

good thing this thread exists, as I found a pretty nice deal on a display Echo at HD. Marked down from $379 -> $290 -> $150 Cdn (about $110 USD). Charger and two 2amp batteries. Almost bought the Husqvarna cordless last year but no $$ ;) The Echo will see light duty. small saplings, limbing etc.. The Husqvarna will still see the brunt of the tree work on my acreage. Figured $150 was worth it, hope so lol

Just an update on my Echo saw...still loving it. Spent Sunday doing a bunch of tree cleanup at my sportsmen's club. Basically a lot of intermittent use cutting and moving. That's where these really shine in my book. You don't have to start up an engine for two cuts, just pull the trigger and cut. I've since picked up the updated blower to go with the saw and trimmer. The new blower is outstanding. Even took it on my recent prairie dog shoot to blow the dirt off the truck and UTV. It's pretty hot and dusty in South Dakota.

I've been using my Stihl a couple of times a week. Mostly just stuff up to 6>8" at the base. Mostly just zipping through 1/4" to 2" limbs and saplings. It is ideal for this. I love the 8 lb weight !

I would be very interested in trying an Echo on the stuff that is just slightly beyond what the Stihl can do. Some of the stuff I am felling is about 10" at the ground and I wait until I have a bunch of stumps and then cut them all short with one of the little gas saws I have.

Yes, it's more than powerful enough. I've been using the 80 tooth blade with no problems. Cut down several trees 2-3" in dia. It will go through small saplings and briars just fine. As a matter of fact the batter life seems pretty close to the trimmer head times.

Yes, it's more than powerful enough. I've been using the 80 tooth blade with no problems. Cut down several trees 2-3" in dia. It will go through small saplings and briars just fine. As a matter of fact the batter life seems pretty close to the trimmer head times.

Out in the heavier stuff like multiflarose and saplings at my local sportsmen club it just wasn't worth it. There's just too much of it to work well.

I guess this came out several months ago, but I just got an email today. Apparently, ECHO 58 Volt cordless O*P*E will soon be available at ECHO dealers.

For the past 3 years it has been exclusively available at The Home Depot.

https://www.echo-usa.com/About-ECHO...to-Feature-Full-Line-of-58V-Cordless-Products

Oddly enough, last night st a local HD the garden manager said that he was not getting any more 58 V saws in at his store. He only had clearance models.

Philbert

I received the same Email. My guess is they're a hard sale at HD and are giving dealers a chance to push a few units out the door. I didn't care much for the saw I tried out "way too heavy" and the reviews of the other equipment aren't great. Not the best quality and overpriced IMHO.

Latest posts

Back