Echo Chainsaw - Never again will buy one - poor quality and poor customer service

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
In more than 50 years I have only met one guy who knew any thing about saws. I am sure about Echo too. How would most people know any thing about equipment that they do not use. They sell parts and saws. That is their job. Dealers are not going to get rich selling customer service. It is easier for them to sell a new saw. So buy a new saw and when its worn out buy another one. If the OP can not read how to maintain then there is the problem. Thanks
You mean the guy that hasn't been active on the site for two years?:innocent:

Came looking for for info about my missing oil adjust on my ten hour CS-620P. Afraid to complain. :eek:

Jeez...i worked for an echo dealer for 3 years and our warranty claims were resolved within days...and were rare too. 3 years we had 2 snapped drive cables on trimmers (lifetime coverage) and 1 bad ignition module (lifetime also). A couple small issues like stripped chain tensioners because the nuts were left tight...always resolved in a couple days. We also didnt take deposits if it was a suspected warranty job.

We had an old old echo come in...an evl model that a couple decades prior had been recalled due to a clutch issue...the crank could fail and the clutch could be ejected. The old recall notice said to offer a replacement equivalent saw and destroy the old one.

Boss called our distributor...they verified by email it was a covered saw and released funds to offer a brand new cs530 to the customer. Customer came in and said "guys i paid 5 bucks for i at a yard sale..i dont think the recall applies". We insisted..for safety reasons...he accepted his new saw free of charge. I sledge hammered the old echo into the blacktop...and sent pics to the dist. It had been destroyed.

Echo is good stuff...but with any brand your dealer means alot

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk

Jeez...i worked for an echo dealer for 3 years and our warranty claims were resolved within days...and were rare too. 3 years we had 2 snapped drive cables on trimmers (lifetime coverage) and 1 bad ignition module (lifetime also). A couple small issues like stripped chain tensioners because the nuts were left tight...always resolved in a couple days. We also didnt take deposits if it was a suspected warranty job.

We had an old old echo come in...an evl model that a couple decades prior had been recalled due to a clutch issue...the crank could fail and the clutch could be ejected. The old recall notice said to offer a replacement equivalent saw and destroy the old one.

Boss called our distributor...they verified by email it was a covered saw and released funds to offer a brand new cs530 to the customer. Customer came in and said "guys i paid 5 bucks for i at a yard sale..i dont think the recall applies". We insisted..for safety reasons...he accepted his new saw free of charge. I sledge hammered the old echo into the blacktop...and sent pics to the dist. It had been destroyed.

Echo is good stuff...but with any brand your dealer means alot

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk
Thats a Standup Dealership !

Yeah I like my guy. Im going to call him tomorrow. I had a bunch of wood to cut up though. I'll put the 4600 to it, glad I didnt sell it.

So with little to no prodding my dealer (Brighton Mower, Rochester NY) followed up with Echo technical support. They confirmed its an issue that happens sometimes. Oil feeder adjust screw breaking/backing out. They sent a replacement part. Now Im going to replace becasue I need the saw for the weekend and the dealer wouldn't have ready until next week. So so far I have one Echo I bought used that has lasted me alone ten years of good use and now a new one that the factory and dealer are standing behind. YMMV

Ok, s
Please note: Screw(s) in question are not available at local hardware store.

Besides, if you bought a new car or truck, would you expect screws to fall out within the warranty period?

I remember the days when "Made in USA" meant quality and "Made in Japan" meant junk
Then "Made in the USA" meant junk (GM, Ford, Chrysler, AMC) and "Made in Japan" meant quality (Honda, Toyota, Fuji Heavy Industry)
Looks like now "Made in Japan" means junk (Echo)
Okay, so people should not make fun of you. I've been on this site quiet a few years AND, I'm an old guy SO I DO feel your pain. I FEEL your fustration.
The guys that make the seemingly rude remarks are probably just having fun. Most guys here remind me of my FOS grandsons. Heck even when someone comes here with a serious and legitimate complaint they can expect BS. I get a kick outta those young-uns. Good kids and really smart. So NOW, sorry! We've all had a good laugh so let ole Papaw help ya. FIRST, I've bought 4 Echo saws since 2015 and had 1 pizz me off. Frankly, Echo should give you a new oil adjustment screw. But probably won't.
Secondly, unless the screws are getting hot (on the block or really hot surface like a muffler) and even if the threads are kinda Frigged Up there's a trick I've had success with. I stick something plastic or Nylon in the screw hole to create resistance.
Depends on how big the screw is and hole is but String Trimmer line, zip ties, nylon fishing line all work under the right conditions. Cut it the depth of the hole and put screw back in.
BUT, if it's getting hot a Fine Piece of Copper Wire has worked for me.
Someone mentioned Nuts on Muffler.
Okay lets fix that. A thin metal plate with holes sized to slip over the Studs trimmed long enough that the ends can be bent up over a flat side to lock the nuts from turning works.
In some cases, with small nuts a grinder can create a wider flat surface.
Id FIRST tighten the nuts on the flat plate then file a mark where the flat side SHOULD BE then loosen, remove Grind replace, bend metal up to lock nuts.
I like Echo but FULLY AREE their warranty is a joke most times. To funny to make me laugh BUTso far the saws are good.
Owning Echo equipment is like having a fat wife. Eventually you get used to it start liking it, and realize you like it a lot more than you ever thought you ever would. Good luck

Came looking for for info about my missing oil adjust on my ten hour CS-620P. Afraid to complain. :eek:
Ha. Ha.
How funny. Yep! These guys love having fun. But, here is my experience.
First, I like my Dealer.
Secondly, I had a simple Problem with a part on a saw which seemed to be a flaw and the part was cheap.
Thirdly, The guy that was hired by my dealer was the Problem.
Evidently, the good service manager had quit or was fired and the new Guy was hired from another dealer where I had already stopped doing business with.
Turns out the Dealer NEVER KNEW how HIS HIRLING had treated me and I fixed my own saw.
Because I didn't want to destroy my good relationship with the dealer I didn't out him .
I was, still am pizzed at the shop manager and Echo for failing to beef up that part. BUT we all know a dead tree will fall on its own AND now it seems the Hired hand that I am not happy with has left. So we are back to, The nice guy dealer. And IF THERE ever is another repeat instead of letting a hired hand treat me like crap ill simply go over his head and talk directly to the owner.
I gave up to easy and got pizzed to fast.
Many times the best thing is to stay calm and have a friendly chat with the high command. Most all Problems can be solved by just sweetly going up the chain of command. I'll say this about big box stores. Someone I know talked me into buying a new Ryobi 3716 (if memory serves me right). At first I loved that saw. I'd replaced the bar and chain first thing. We used the crap out of it and it qas light, cranked easy and cut good. I couldn't believe it. After 5 days using it like a pro saw the power was like crap. Removed my bar n chain. Cleaned saw put new bar n chain on saw put in original box and returned. No hassel. I was impressed. Bought a Echo cs 352 and the chain catch musta been cracked. Snapped like a saltine cracker. Less than a month. After I fixed that the saw hasn't missed a beat. The cs310 isn't nearly as good as the cs352. People who haven't run both saws think the only difference is a bigger displacement. I assure you it's best to pay the difference and buy cs352.
I'll agree sometimes a factory part can be flawed.
I don't doubt that.
You do have my sympathies.
My opinion is instead of beating a guy down we should realize their pain and try to give good advice otherwise the site looses a part of it's true value.
In my real life I'm a volunteer counselor. Many times, I hear things that makes me think, how stupid but I remind myself that saying hurtful things would void my reason for volunteering. I came here because I believe ALL of us are Teachers AND students. My desire is to further educate myself and to be of help to others. My thinking is that if you BELIEVE you have a Problem OR complaint then rather than criticize you I should try to help you solve the precieved problem. Even if its not a problem in my sight it's a problem in your sight and valid TO YOU.
The best advice I can give you is simply make your repairs and realize you've about got all the good you can get for now. Try to relax. You've got a friend in me. I understand. Good luck.

Ha. Ha.
How funny. Yep! These guys love having fun. But, here is my experience.
First, I like my Dealer.
Secondly, I had a simple Problem with a part on a saw which seemed to be a flaw and the part was cheap.
Thirdly, The guy that was hired by my dealer was the Problem.
Evidently, the good service manager had quit or was fired and the new Guy was hired from another dealer where I had already stopped doing business with.
Turns out the Dealer NEVER KNEW how HIS HIRLING had treated me and I fixed my own saw.
Because I didn't want to destroy my good relationship with the dealer I didn't out him .
I was, still am pizzed at the shop manager and Echo for failing to beef up that part. BUT we all know a dead tree will fall on its own AND now it seems the Hired hand that I am not happy with has left. So we are back to, The nice guy dealer. And IF THERE ever is another repeat instead of letting a hired hand treat me like crap ill simply go over his head and talk directly to the owner.
I gave up to easy and got pizzed to fast.
Many times the best thing is to stay calm and have a friendly chat with the high command. Most all Problems can be solved by just sweetly going up the chain of command. I'll say this about big box stores. Someone I know talked me into buying a new Ryobi 3716 (if memory serves me right). At first I loved that saw. I'd replaced the bar and chain first thing. We used the crap out of it and it qas light, cranked easy and cut good. I couldn't believe it. After 5 days using it like a pro saw the power was like crap. Removed my bar n chain. Cleaned saw put new bar n chain on saw put in original box and returned. No hassel. I was impressed. Bought a Echo cs 352 and the chain catch musta been cracked. Snapped like a saltine cracker. Less than a month. After I fixed that the saw hasn't missed a beat. The cs310 isn't nearly as good as the cs352. People who haven't run both saws think the only difference is a bigger displacement. I assure you it's best to pay the difference and buy cs352.
I'll agree sometimes a factory part can be flawed.
I don't doubt that.
You do have my sympathies.
My opinion is instead of beating a guy down we should realize their pain and try to give good advice otherwise the site looses a part of it's true value.
In my real life I'm a volunteer counselor. Many times, I hear things that makes me think, how stupid but I remind myself that saying hurtful things would void my reason for volunteering. I came here because I believe ALL of us are Teachers AND students. My desire is to further educate myself and to be of help to others. My thinking is that if you BELIEVE you have a Problem OR complaint then rather than criticize you I should try to help you solve the precieved problem. Even if its not a problem in my sight it's a problem in your sight and valid TO YOU.
The best advice I can give you is simply make your repairs and realize you've about got all the good you can get for now. Try to relax. You've got a friend in me. I understand. Good luck.
Sometimes, all it takes is a quick, respectful chat with the owner to decide if it's one rotten apple or the whole barrel. If the owner doesn't show genuine concern nor address the issue, they are part of the problem not part of the solution. But it doesn't actually stop there. Above the owner/dealer is a dealer rep and above them an area manager and the manufacturer above them. It takes a bit of time but by going back up the chain of responsibility, eventually you can work out if the manufacturer deserves your hard-earned money and a good reputation.

There are some manufacturers and their reps I wouldn't even piss on if they were on fire after the way I've been treated. But on the flip side, there are some who would have to do something very drastic to lose my loyalty, having been utterly remarkable at supporting me and standing behind their products. It's no surprise that those who do excel at customer respect, tend to build darn fine machinery to begin with.

Most of the saws I've ran the past 30 / 40 ish years were Sthil. One remarkable Poulan Pro 380 and a Poulan 2150. Frankly the 024,026, 029 still run and I gave the pp2150 to a helper and sold the pp380 back in 2015 to test Echo saws. I found for me the cs590 was about like the pp380. I just wanted new saws. I like the three Echo saws that are used a lot of time but the Sthil saws are built like Tanks. I still run a 21 year old Sthil 029. Stock it was heavy and weak but after some tinkering its heavy but cuts pretty good. Sthil was made really well back then. At some point they must have started building cheaper because the 026 Clutch cover feels like plastic. I used to Climb with the poulan 2150 and once tied it off way up in a big ole Gum. Something happened and I let the saw get away. It fell to the ground while motor was running. Landed on bar tip bounced high and settled still running. Bent the bar a good 45%. New bar and back in the tree. My guess is an Echo probably won't take that kind of abuse BUT I CAN'T say for sure. Echo has some decent prices and the lower end saws do well to be so plasticity. My half Brother and another Brother run only Sthil. Two others run Echo. The Echo cs620P seems like a good saw. I wish I'd bought it rather than cs590 but the 590 should outlast me. Echo dealer told me Echo don't make any non professional saws. I think Echo puts their bulk of design in the Mechanics like Motor etc. Even their cheapest saw motors seem pretty good. Maybe as good or better than the cheapest Sthils. It looks like the competition is driving the market to cheaper saws hence more and more people who ACTUALLY BELIEVE all Echo saws are professional. What chapped my butt was I actually BELIEVED the cs352 was a professional saw. I didn't even realize the chain catcher was a plastic pecker molded onto the clutch cover until I saw it laying on the ground and figured out where and what it was. Then buyers remorse stung like a bee when the Shop Foreman at dealer remarked, WELL its a cheap saw, if you want professional you can't buy a HOME OWNER SAW and expect professional. Thats when my mind urniated right out both ears. I felt that I'd been mislead by Echo or was being Messed over by dealer. It was like on your wedding night finding out your wife wasn't born a girl. I was so set back I just left boiling like a pot of pinto beans. My guess is a lot of misinformation is becomming more normal and the buyer may want to do more studying. Good luck.

Man that's probably the tenth wall of text I've seen you type on that chain catcher and how you were treated about it. Crack open a cold one, spark up a bowl, make a cup of coffee, whatever your thing is and move on. Doesn't take much of that before your whole world is just ruminating on how you were wronged in the past. Life's too short, just let it go.

Back