ECHO chainsaws an the lack of decompression valves

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Apachedesert

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Please help. I have an older CS800P and an older CS4600. I love both saws, WHEN I CAN GET THEM STARTED. They both have strong compression, so sometimes I literally cannot even pull the cord. This is especially true of the CS800P, which is an 83 CC beast. Some days I get lucky and I can get a good pull, but I almost always feel like I just hit the gym just trying to start my damn chainsaws. Last night I saw in another thread on this board that certain older Echo chainsaws simply do not have decompression valves. Well damn that explains it. Please tell me some ways to get around this problem, I'm not rich, and don't want to just ditch the saws or unload them on someone else so they can have the same problem. Thanks

You could try the elasto start rope//handle assembly from Stihl. It will help especially on jounce backs when it doesn't fire. You may have to flat side the handle base to fit in the starter pocket. And for sure the 800 will use a bigger rope compared to the 4600. So measure your rope diameters. The elasto start handle//rope assembly comes in three different rope diameters I believe. Someone may correct me or even have the proper part numbers for you. This is a good.place to start and relatively cheap.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

Please help. I have an older CS800P and an older CS4600. I love both saws, WHEN I CAN GET THEM STARTED. They both have strong compression, so sometimes I literally cannot even pull the cord. This is especially true of the CS800P, which is an 83 CC beast. Some days I get lucky and I can get a good pull, but I almost always feel like I just hit the gym just trying to start my damn chainsaws. Last night I saw in another thread on this board that certain older Echo chainsaws simply do not have decompression valves. Well damn that explains it. Please tell me some ways to get around this problem, I'm not rich, and don't want to just ditch the saws or unload them on someone else so they can have the same problem. Thanks
I start most power equipment with quick short pull to get things moving doesn't take much force then a medium pull usually start easier for me
Also I find some equipment likes a particular start up sequence with the choke on etc

Thanks, but rather than make modifications like that I'd probably ditch the saws then. I was hoping there would be some easy way to let some air out of the chamber. I am wondering, though, if I have a deeper issue. Often times, I literally cannot even pull the cord on the CS800 more than six inches out from the saw. If I pull any harder, I feel I will rip the cord off.

I start most power equipment with quick short pull to get things moving doesn't take much force then a medium pull usually start easier for me
Also I find some equipment likes a particular start up sequence with the choke on etc
On the 800 in particular sometimes i cannot even pull the cord more than six inches. I feel if I pull harder than i have been I will rip the cord assembly off. I do know what you mean about specific sequencing on certain saws, and Echo is definitely that.

On the 800 in particular sometimes i cannot even pull the cord more than six inches. I feel if I pull harder than i have been I will rip the cord assembly off. I do know what you mean about specific sequencing on certain saws, and Echo is definitely that.
Six inches usually gets them moving easier just plan on it not being a full pull
Maybe a carb issue letting fuel by?
Echo makes good stuff no need to get rid of them
The 4600 should start easy

I have a 750evl with decomp

My echo 670 doesn't have a decomp lever

Six inches usually gets them moving easier just plan on it not being a full pull
Maybe a carb issue letting fuel by?
Echo makes good stuff no need to get rid of them
The 4600 should start easy

I have a 750evl with decomp

My echo 670 doesn't have a decomp lever
Now that's the voice of experience. Thanks. Maybe I just need to adjust my thinking and strategy. Is it always "choke out" on the first pull?

I used to sell them and the CS8000 which was about the same. I never noted any issues starting beyond they liked drop starting much like any heavy large displacement saw.

Cold start choke on, set high idle, pull once it usually pops. Choke off...pull again and it may or may not need a 3rd pull.

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk

I'm a rookie compared to you guys. I just took the plug off, turned it upside down and pulled the cord about 15 times. No fule came out at all, but the plug was a little wet, so I held a lighter to it to burn off the fuel. I put the plug back on and it then did allow me to pull the cord this time about a foot out and get a few pops, and I was thrilled because I thought I fixed the problem, but a pull or two later, it went right back to only allowing me to pull it about six inches out, and then back to square one. Still can't get it started.

I'm a rookie compared to you guys. I just took the plug off, turned it upside down and pulled the cord about 15 times. No fule came out at all, but the plug was a little wet, so I held a lighter to it to burn off the fuel. I put the plug back on and it then did allow me to pull the cord this time about a foot out and get a few pops, and I was thrilled because I thought I fixed the problem, but a pull or two later, it went right back to only allowing me to pull it about six inches out, and then back to square one. Still can't get it started.
Do the little pulls until it will let you get a good pull
Is your recoil smooth that could cause issues
If you get a pop and it wont start are you sure you're getting fuel?

Completely honest here and not trying to be rude or condescending or anything...please dont take it that way because ive had to tell many people this in person and it doesn't go well sometimes...it may be too much saw.

To start these big saws you not only need muscle but you need speed and confidence in your pull to get it past compression and let momentum take over. Anticipating the compression and hesitating is akin to shooting a pistol with a dud...you expect the recoil and flinch.

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk

Back