Echo CS-302 back from the grave.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PullStart2020

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I just got my hands on this old soldier. I was on a job site and the previous owner offered it to me while on his way to the dumpster to chuck it in. I thought, "pretty sad shape, but maybe".
The blade was rusted to the bar, so nothing moved. I'm tearing it down carefully and cleaning. We'll see if this old dog still hunts! Any idea exactly what the MFG date is, other than '77-'83? he SN#0168156. I'll post an update when I get teeth to timber.
IMG_0929.JPGIMG_0930.JPGIMG_0937.JPGIMG_1046.JPGIMG_0935.JPGEcho_Poulan.JPGT

Nice find! I just recently got a 302S. It had been sitting for years. I cleaned it up and got it fired off and it ran great. The only parts I needed to order were the o-rings on the oiler shaft. Yours will need them as well.
0E389819-CB0C-4C79-B68F-E61AC99536D2.jpeg

IMG_0197.jpg

The carb was remarkably clean inside, as was inside the gas and oil compartments, at least somebody had the good sense to drain everything before putting it in hibernation. Recently, having a chat with the guy who gave it up, I found out the saw was his father's, who was a logger in Oregon. I think his dad put it away all those years ago expecting to take it out "next season" for more work.

I fired it up and it's a beast! Runs strong. Yes, i think you're right about the o-rings on the oiler shaft, way too much coming out even when turned to the lowest point. I read somewhere that these need a 32:1 fuel oil mix, is that right?

View attachment 841196

The carb was remarkably clean inside, as was inside the gas and oil compartments, at least somebody had the good sense to drain everything before putting it in hibernation. Recently, having a chat with the guy who gave it up, I found out the saw was his father's, who was a logger in Oregon. I think his dad put it away all those years ago expecting to take it out "next season" for more work.

I fired it up and it's a beast! Runs strong. Yes, i think you're right about the o-rings on the oiler shaft, way too much coming out even when turned to the lowest point. I read somewhere that these need a 32:1 fuel oil mix, is that right?
I run 50:1 full synthetic. Plenty of oil.

Mine put out way too much oil and also leaked some out after shutoff. Luckily it’s a piece of cake to unscrew the shaft and replace the o-rings. And since it’s an Echo the parts are still available.

It’s a great oiler design and once you replace the o-rings it is very easy to adjust the flow. On the fly you can adjust it just by turning the thumb wheel.

Mine put out way too much oil and also leaked some out after shutoff. Luckily it’s a piece of cake to unscrew the shaft and replace the o-rings. And since it’s an Echo the parts are still available.

It’s a great oiler design and once you replace the o-rings it is very easy to adjust the flow. On the fly you can adjust it just by turning the thumb wheel.
I love the option of adjusting the oil flow to accommodate the job at hand.

Back