Echo CS-360T

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
As far as I know, the stock Echo chains are made by Oregon. Not the best, but still worth sharpening.

If in doubt about the need for limiter caps -- because in some cases they provide the friction to hold the screws in place when there are no springs -- you can cut a little short piece of fuel line and slide it over the threads of the screws before turning them in. It will compress and should be just enough friction to keep the screws in place. I used this trick on my weed-whacker carb recently.

As far as I know, the stock Echo chains are made by Oregon. Not the best, but still worth sharpening.

If in doubt about the need for limiter caps -- because in some cases they provide the friction to hold the screws in place when there are no springs -- you can cut a little short piece of fuel line and slide it over the threads of the screws before turning them in. It will compress and should be just enough friction to keep the screws in place. I used this trick on my weed-whacker carb recently.

Thanks for the tip...

Yes, the OEM Echo chain was made by Oregon....but it is a anti-kick back safety style chain. Apparently, at least in CT, dealers either have to sell saws with the anti-kick back chain installed or the bar tip anti-kick back device installed......one or the other, the saw must leave the store with some anti-kick back device. When I bought the saw, it had the anti-kick chain installed and they gave me the tip guard (which I threw out as soon as I arrived home). I guess I would have caused less confusion, if I was more specific...

Happy T-day!

I have had those screws vibrate a little out of tune when I left those caps off, so I trim the tabs off and put them back in. Problem solved.

Cliff, what about pulling the can

Hi Cliff, What do you think about pulling the can on the 360t muffler. I pulled the rev lim caps and have the muffler in half. Bent back the end of the can and gutted it. From reading your posts I expected to see a few holes on the side of this can and it looks different from what I expected. I was going to put a few holes in it, but I'm wondering what will happen if I just pull it period. Any feedback from you would be appreciated. Thanks, sean

I didn't remove the "can" on mine, but I did open up the holes in it, and remove all the material in the can. I'm pretty sure I made the holes 5/16", and open up the exit hole some as well, but retained the deflector.....Cliff

I decided to drill in two 3/16" holes on the can and keep it in there. Will get this thing back together and see what happens... also replacing chain with a more aggressive one. Sean

I made the holes 5/16 instead of 3/16, welded the muffler back together and roughly tuned the saw... a lot of power now. I did not replace the chain, but did sharpen her up real good and made a few cuts... I'm impressed. It should run nice after a better tuning. I plan to clear some fallen trees behind my property tomorrow and will put the saw to the test.

So far I have to say that the mods are a definite way to bring this saw to life. I do have to add that sawing/ welding mufflers is not easy for the novice... Im not skilled enough and ended up having my buddy weld it back together. He had a bit of trouble welding it without melting it and he is an x-ray weld certified steamfitter. So to those who do not weld well... this gutting the muffler may not be a good thing to attempt. In the future I will probably just drill some holes through the muffler and see if that works... alot easier if it does work.

Any way... it has better pull than than a 192 and after a better tuning, will probably keep up with the 200t. I will have to see how it does after some long term use and from what Cliff has posted, feel this saw should be okay for the long haul.

I haven't been able to kill mine, and have really been trying to since PGG told me it would quickly develope a "death rattle". Since we have ran the crap out of it now for several seasons, and it continues to run flawlessly, I'm wondering how a guy could smoke the P/C on one?

I just outfitted mine with a new Oregon 14" bar and chain, had some Lowe's gift cards to use up. I has plenty of power for the 14" bar, put a couple of tanks thru it the last few days on a new job we started, cleaning up 60 acres worth of tops from a recent logging operation.

I did find out the hard way that it hasn't been cold enough here in Ohio to venture into the woods. We BARELY got back to the road, it's nothing but a mud hole everywhere. Got to be the wettest/warmest Winter in my 52 years of living here....Cliff

I tuned this saw up and put it work today. I have to admit it buries the 192t... It does not sound as pretty as a 200t, but performance-wise, I also have to admit... it kept up with it.

All in all, the 360t with mods is a completely different saw from stock 360t. I feel the saw is a good choice if you can do the mods, if you can not do the mods, Stihl may be a better choice.

I was seriously suprised and impressed.

Thanks for the help Cliff.

This weather is strange. They say it will be like Florida up here in a hundred years and I believe it. I was just in the back of my house and it was a mudpit... Could not imagine trying to go into the woods.

Glad that I could be of assistance. If we have Florida like weather up here in 100 years, there woln't be any need to burn firewood, so my wood cutting days would be over with. I certainly hope I'm around to see it!.....Cliff

200t is outstanding, but if I was going to buy a top saw I think it would be the echo cs 341 or 340 forget exact model. But We got one for my buddy who is strictly a Stihl man, and he wont run another top handle other than that Echo. Built like the old school top saws. Nimble powerfull, and runs like a bastard.

CliffR, I have an Echo CS-370 (bought new) and an Echo CS-346 (recently bought off CL for $15--bar oil was in gas tank--wouldn't run this way:laugh:). Will removing the cat. converter and opening the deflector a little significantly increase muffler noise level? I ask this question on another thread and the response was "if a muff mod is done correctly, it shouldn't change the noise level much". I'm new in this area--a pretty good weed trimmer mechanic, but no experience changing mufflers. It appears the cat is somewhat easy to remove with screwdriver and needle nose pliers. I'm reading this will help saw performance, but how about the sound level?? Any info will be appreciated. Thanks

Every dp muffler I have put on, ads noise, Makes sense to me with a extra exhaust port, or unchoking one.

I tuned this saw up and put it work today. I have to admit it buries the 192t... It does not sound as pretty as a 200t, but performance-wise, I also have to admit... it kept up with it.

All in all, the 360t with mods is a completely different saw from stock 360t. I feel the saw is a good choice if you can do the mods, if you can not do the mods, Stihl may be a better choice.

I was seriously suprised and impressed.

Thanks for the help Cliff.

This weather is strange. They say it will be like Florida up here in a hundred years and I believe it. I was just in the back of my house and it was a mudpit... Could not imagine trying to go into the woods.

When you go from 192t performance to 200t performance thats a LOT of gain with a muff modd,
same thing with the CS370 and CS400 saws. What do you think 2fat? Steve

Last edited:
CliffR, I have an Echo CS-370 (bought new) and an Echo CS-346 (recently bought off CL for $15--bar oil was in gas tank--wouldn't run this way:laugh:). Will removing the cat. converter and opening the deflector a little significantly increase muffler noise level? I ask this question on another thread and the response was "if a muff mod is done correctly, it shouldn't change the noise level much". I'm new in this area--a pretty good weed trimmer mechanic, but no experience changing mufflers. It appears the cat is somewhat easy to remove with screwdriver and needle nose pliers. I'm reading this will help saw performance, but how about the sound level?? Any info will be appreciated. Thanks

If you gut the cat and drill a couple extra holes out the front it will get loud, if you just enlarge the stock outlet hole with the deflector in place it wont be too bad. Steve

If you gut the cat and drill a couple extra holes out the front it will get loud, if you just enlarge the stock outlet hole with the deflector in place it wont be too bad. Steve

Thanks mountainlake--I think I'll start with just enlarging the outlet hole and go from there. I really don't want these saws to get to loud. I have a couple of Mac 10-10's that will wake the dead. These days I mostly use my saws for storm cleanup, and often am working close to others. I wear hearing protection but many times my working buddies don't.

Since I'm more experienced in the "weedeater" area, I may have to try a mod on one of my trimmers. I'm sure i have over 30 2-stroke pieces of equip--this could get interesting. Glynn

Echo cs-346----I enlarged the outlet hole in the plate between deflector and muffler to the size of the outlet hole in the muffler, screen still in place--and gave it a try. Not too loud yet!

I then drilled 4 3/16" holes through the cat until I hit free space (I don't know if the bit bottomed out on a baffle or the outside of the muffler--didn't drill through it). Tried again, still not too loud.

Have I accomplished anything yet? Sorry to keep at this, but I'm trying to learn here and appreciate help. Thanks! Glynn

Echo cs-346----I enlarged the outlet hole in the plate between deflector and muffler to the size of the outlet hole in the muffler, screen still in place--and gave it a try. Not too loud yet!

I then drilled 4 3/16" holes through the cat until I hit free space (I don't know if the bit bottomed out on a baffle or the outside of the muffler--didn't drill through it). Tried again, still not too loud.

Have I accomplished anything yet? Sorry to keep at this, but I'm trying to learn here and appreciate help. Thanks! Glynn

Step by step, and testing several times, I've removed the cat, opened the muff outlet about 1/4" in length, opened the plate between muffler and deflector to match outlet in muffler. I've had it out in the woods this morning, the saw runs great and the sound is still very acceptable so I'm stopping here. The pulled the sparkplug--color is good, will check after a couple more tanks. After I get a few hours on this saw, I may do the same thing to my Echo CS-370.

Thanks to those who helped out, and to the wealth of info. on AS. Glynn

When you go from 192t performance to 200t performance thats a LOT of gain with a muff modd,
same thing with the CS370 and CS400 saws. What do you think 2fat? Steve
I would certainly agree..steve..!!

There's a BIG difference between a 192T and a 200T..

And just as with the Echos..a simple MM will add more power than most would think..!!

Thanks for asking..!!..:)
:cheers:
J2F

Latest posts

Back