Echo CS 400 Bar Options

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SierraMtns

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Hey Fellas,

I am setting up a CS 400 for my uncle and I want to get him a extra bar and chain. I really like Oregon bars but when I use their bar guide it only shows .325 bars.

Do they make a 3/8 LP bar? The CS 400 manual says 6-tooth, 3/8 in pitch spur. The Echo bar says 3/8LP, 62 DL and 0.50 gauge.

Thanks

3/8LP bar is what they run, 62DL chain, 18". Might be able to find a 16" bar. My Poulan Wild thing uses the same 18" bar and chain as my cs400.

Steve

Yeah thats what I am finding. It seems like OR goes to .325 pitch on 18" bars.

I was hoping to find a bar in Versa Cut, Power Cut or Advance Cut.

I wonder if its worth going to .325 pitch with this saw?

.325" would be a very poor choice for that saw especially with an 18" bar.

Those saws are perfect with a 14" 3/8 LP set-up, and decent with 16". Anything bigger than that is too much for it.

The good news is that there are PLENTY of low cost readily available choices for the smaller Echo saws in 3/8LP in 14 and 16" set-ups.......Cliff

.325" would be a very poor choice for that saw especially with an 18" bar.

Those saws are perfect with a 14" 3/8 LP set-up, and decent with 16". Anything bigger than that is too much for it.

The good news is that there are PLENTY of low cost readily available choices for the smaller Echo saws in 3/8LP in 14 and 16" set-ups.......Cliff

I agree. I have a 16" on my 025, and anything smaller I think 14" is the way to go.

Oregon bars that fit the CS-400:

18" - 180SDEA041

16" - 160SDEA041

14" - 140SDEA041

I normally like Oregon bars and chains but the 3/8lp one for poulans has a small tip compared to other brands. The slightly larger tips make it harder to derail the chain in my experience.
You can tell the size of the tip by the number of rivets, 1 rivet for the small tipped bars and 4 for the larger ones.
The baileys one linked above is better than the Oregon ones due to the better larger tip.

Never had a problem with my echo bar throwing a chain, maybe I should let my chain sag some.

Steve
I have on the cs 400 18 inch not on 16 or 14 inch.....on the stock bar....brush though never in logs.... you know hacking the stuff up in the trailer so you can fit more etc....

I've thrown a few on brush with the Stihl MS170 my dad used to have, hated that saw. Got tired of replacing parts on it. Glad someone stole the thang, let someone else spend money on it for a change.

Steve

The Oregon bars with the SD code were double guard, now re named. Those have the single rivet (3/8lp ones) and 7 tooth nose. I believe this is the only 18 inch bar they offer and not sure if it comes any way but as a bar and chain combo. It is light being thin top to bottom and should be good for a few chains. There are 9 tooth noses in the shorter 3/8lp bars those have SP or GP code and were called pro 91. These are higher grade laminate sheets used. I have not paid attention to the re naming. A 3005 class Stihl bar with a 9 tooth nose is available and can be made to work by lengthening the slot and making new holes perhaps plugging others. It is for 61 dl with a 6 tooth drive. It probably would be more cost effective in the long run but obviously heavier than the Oregon 7 tooth nose one. There were some discount GB solid replaceable nose heavy bars with 9 tooth noses a few years back for that mount and at least that length. Probably still are somewhere just not left overs and on discount. Then there is Cannon if cost is not a big concern.

Does post 1 imply one could get the 18 inch called length bar from Echo.

The throwing of the chain probably has more to do with how much bow away from straight the bar contour is than the actual nose radius. I have a couple of the laminated hard tip bars from Oregon for this class of chain and the 52 dl one throws easy and the 55 one does not, looking at how the shape is one can see perhaps why. That 18 inch 7 tooth nose is kind of on the straight side of variation.

Thanks everyone for the help. I order the Woodland Pro ArborMax bar.

I also picked up the same bar for my CS 355t. But the Echo bar says 57 DL and the Woodland Pro bar says 56 DL. Could the nose shape cause it to have 1 less DL?

It could. Most saws can deal with having one less drive link. Just depends if your tensioner has enough room to compensate.

Does post 1 imply one could get the 18 inch called length bar from Echo.

The Echo part number from the IPL is: 18A0ED3762

Looking online for that part number, the pictures indicate 2 potential fulfillments. One is the newer grey painted bar that appears to have the larger bar nose with multiple rivets, it appears to have a C added to the part number, 18A0ED3762C. The second is the older black painted bar with smaller diameter nose and single rivet.
echo-chainsaw-bars-18a0cd3762c-64_1000.jpg

full.png

Chainsaw bars can be listed on line with "stock" pictures and no detectible way to ask if the picture is "stock" or actual. That Parts tree bar in the cardboard and shrink wrap is more $ than the Walmart bar and chain linked earlier in this thread and most likely really the same thing.

Latest posts

Back