Echo cs-490 vs Makita/Dolmar 5121/510

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cs-490 or Dolkita 5121

• Dolkita

Votes: 16 53.3%
  • Echo

Votes: 13 43.3%
  • other

Votes: 1 3.3%

• Total voters

heyitsp

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I'll start by saying I live in Canada and our prices may be different than you are used to.

I recently bought some property and I will have to do some clearing and bucking mostly <12" trees about 6-8" average . I don't have the budget for the sthil 260. I have narrowed down what I believe are my 2 best options through my local saw / forestry equip providers. I'm looking for a light but powerful enough "one saw" for my needs and future fire wood gathering.

The Echo cs-490 $400 new (Canuck money)
What I like....
It's lite and maneuverable nice balance. Mag crank case, nice power to weight ratio. Parts readily available. No tool filter cover easy to maintenance. The self catching bar nuts are a nice touch. I have heard great things about the 590 but I think that is more saw than I need and a good bit heavier.
What I don't like.. the choke and kill switch are sticky outy! The chain tensioner pin is on the crank cover and not the crank case though I'm not sure if it makes much difference real world.

The Makita 5121 which I believe please correct me if I'm wrong, is the Dolmar 510? $450 (loony's n toonies)
In any case there is a dealer that carries this saw in town. I know less about this saw. But the people who like it "online" seem to really like it.
What I like... The fit n finish the design seems much more polished as you would expect from a German/Japanese collaboration. Feels like a more expensive saw for whatever that is worth. There's no sticky outy flimsy bits. The vibe dampening seems more robust don't know till I try it though. Its a lb heavier but I believe slightly more powerful I have seen the Dolmar listed with 3.9 hp though the Makita is only listed 3.3 assuming it has been dumbed down for emissions. Spins fast spinning at 13800 rpm can't find the rpm specs on the echo but 13800 I believe is pretty quick for a prosumer saw. The Makita also appears available in 0.05 or 0.058 gauge chain the 0.058 chain is probably what makes it spin not sure which chain real world would be better though.
What I don't like... Its $50 more 1lb heavier considering it may or may not be more powerful and not as common a saw locally as the echos so parts might be trickier. No self catching nuts (nice touch echo)

Anyways I would love input from people who own these saws and what you like and don't like about them. Thanks.

Most chain tensioner are in the clutch cover.

Yes the echo has dead simple controls. A toggle switch and a pull knob. Only time they are problemsome is when the on/off decal wears away.

Pull 2 plastic limiter caps, and tune the carb proper. Super easy muffler mod makes a darn fine 50cc firewood saw.

Unless they have changes something the captured bar nuts are on the cs 501. Which is a bit more sporty than the 490.

Both are good options pick whichever feels best in your hands.

Don't rule out the Makita 4300 (Dolmar 421). This is a sweet, sweet saw with nice, balanced handling and plenty of power. It is actually more refined than the 5121, IMO. Dolmar's antivibe is above reproach.

PS, "one saw needs" means 60cc...

you will find it handy to have a small saw and a bigger saw. The 4300 is a great small saw that will cover almost all of your needs.

Don't rule out the Makita 4300 (Dolmar 421). Dolmar's antivibe is above reproach.
I agree with both of these statements wholeheartedly.

PS, "one saw needs" means 60cc...
But for 12" and under wood I have to balk at this. If all I was ever going to be cutting was small stuff I would grab my 420 every time, unless I was really in a hurry.

yes, I suppose that is correct.

I tend to grab a bigger saw when I get past about 8-10", although the 421 will rock pretty good with a full 16" bar buried.

I would put your local shop at the forefront of my decision making.....parts , services and warranty claims.

My last Dolmar was in the early 80's and still may be the fastest saw I've owned.
All there saws seem to get great reviews but around here, dealers are really spread out.

I own a CS 490 and have been impressed with it, 50cc with 18" bar " sharp chain " blows through everything my back can handle.
BUT to be honest, stay with a main brand like Stihl, Husqvarna and Echo and you'll find saws are like today's engine oils.....there ain't a bad one.

"light but powerful enough "one saw" for my needs and future fire wood gathering."
Have you used a 420/421? I have saws at my disposal from that size up to 72cc, and for the size wood OP stated a 420 would put a lot of sticks in the stack. Don't underestimate those snotty little red(or teal) heads.

I'll start by saying I live in Canada and our prices may be different than you are used to.

I recently bought some property......The Makita also appears available in 0.05 or 0.058 gauge chain the 0.058 chain is probably what makes it spin not sure which chain real world would be better though.....Thanks.
I can not comment about your two choices but about the .05 vs .058 that refers to the thickness of the drive links that fit into the slot or groove of the bar. The .050 one is the same chain as the .058 one except the drive links are necked down in the case of Oregon chain or necked down more in the case of Stihl Chain. I assume they both come with 0.325 pitch.

Have you used a 420/421? I have saws at my disposal from that size up to 72cc, and for the size wood OP stated a 420 would put a lot of sticks in the stack. Don't underestimate those snotty little red(or teal) heads.
I have the small bore variant the 351. I think I figured it would be quieter even though the specifications call out the same sound levels and vibration levels. Even that might suffice depending on what is on his property.

Echos has great saws and power equipment in my experience. They seem to be long lasting and run well, so I can't knock them. If I were looking for a good farm/ranch/homeowner saw, I'd probably choose one.

For my needs and flavor in chainsaws, I prefer Dolmar. If you want a good strong 40+cc saw, I recommend the EA4300/421 by Makita/Dolmar. Mine serves me very well and I LOVE using that saw. Its very comfortable, weight balanced and seems to be very economical on fuel. The ergonomics feel right and it has gobs of torque for that size saw.

If you want a 50cc saw, I'd choose the PS-5105 by Dolmar. Its not much more expensive than the Makita saws you are looking at and its a pro saw. The Maruyama MCV51 (Made in Germany) is the exact same saw as the 5105 and you may find it a little cheaper (just bought one myself).

Hope this helps and let us know what you choose. Post pics......

:cheers:

I would like to mention my only complaint with my CS 490.
I like to tinker, disassemble and mod my saws.
Well I'm guessing Echo saw to many videos where mufflers and arrester's were being modified. Lol

I had to use a reverse drill bit to remove the screws on the spark arrester as it appeared " red " loctite was used, ridiculous.

Pho for both.

Power-to-weight being considered, even the CS-490's lightweight still doesn't bring it to the level of the Dolmar pro saws. Dolmar 421- 3.7 lbs per HP, Dolmar 5105 - 3.0 lbs per HP and the CS-490 - 3.5 lbs per HP. The semi-pro and homeowner saws from Dolmar are more comparable power-to-weight wise.

The Maruyama MCV 51 is the Dolmar 5105 and Amazon has it for $399 including shipping.

Power-to-weight being considered, even the CS-490's lightweight still doesn't bring it to the level of the Dolmar pro saws. Dolmar 421- 3.7 lbs per HP, Dolmar 5105 - 3.0 lbs per HP and the CS-490 - 3.5 lbs per HP. The semi-pro and homeowner saws from Dolmar are more comparable power-to-weight wise.

The Maruyama MCV 51 is the Dolmar 5105 and Amazon has it for $399 including shipping.

I would check out the 5105 if I could find one where I live in B.C. though I would imagine its a good $100 - 150 more than the echo.

Latest posts

Back