Echo CS-501P and CS-620PW

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HighRidgePines

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Cut my own wood, and laying a bit aside as I go along to help fund upgrades and wishes. I have two saws now, the CS-501P and CS-352. Have begun to run into situations where I am cutting and bucking trees that are doable with the 501, but wishing I had some additional oompf. Looking at a 620 and my question is whether if I buy a saw with a 10cc jump if I am really gonna use the 501 any longer. I know, you can't have too many saws, but the 501 sale could help fund the new purchase. Dry weight on the 620 is 4 lbs heavier, which might be a consideration.

As an aside, the 352 is a crazy limbing small cut saw. It runs fantastic.

Appreciate your thoughts.

I have a CS-490 and CS-620P - the jump is pretty big and I am using on 30-36" Ash.
With the 490 I would be able to do cuts from each side, took me hours to buck up one large ash.
With the 620, was done pretty quick and less tired. Using 24" bar it pulls great and is well balanced in the cut.

I have bucked 6 Ashes with the 620 so far and the power over the 490 is very noticeable.
How big are your trees, are you going for larger Oaks?

I have a 620, and a Stihl 460 for my bigger saw... but I am a man.

I kid, I kid, I wish I had a 501 too. The 620 is a great saw, but I wish I had a 50cc saw as well. I would keep it if I were you (and buy the 620, and a 70cc saw, and... well, you get the point.)

Plus, why head out the door with only one saw? You could pinch a bar, have something break or be temperamental, etc. Two is one as they say.

Double edit: or, you could skip the 60cc saw and get a 70cc. I've never ran a 501 (like I said I would like to, I've never come across one in my local stores, or I probably would have bought it in a moment of weakness). But maybe a 70cc saw would compliment it better than the 620? Just depends on what you are doing, and what sparks your fancy more than anything else. I'm not a pro, I got the 460 to pull a longer bar so I could fell a bigger tree without cutting it from both sides. It seemed like a safer way to do it for me.

Regardless, I love my 620 and would recommend one to anybody, It's a great value (make sure you get a 24" bar, they come with 20" bars too).

That seems like a big weight penalty for just a 10 cc increase. How much does a 70 cc weigh?

Even though the 620 weighs more, while doing bucking it is easier on the arms with the 24" bar.
It's hauling it around where you notice it.
The 70cc to me were just too bulky, not even the weight.
with the 50cc and 60cc I can do quite a lot in a few hours.
For smaller stuff I have the pole saw, it negates my need for a smaller chain saw.

That seems like a big weight penalty for just a 10 cc increase. How much does a 70 cc weigh?
About 1 1/2 lbs. dry weight, but that goes up quite a bit since the fuel and oil reservoirs are bigger. I have looked at the Husqvarna 372 and 572 models which are nice, albeit expensive. Almost at the point in my life if a tree needs that big of a saw that I just walk away from it. Having said that, if the right deal came around, I could see owning a 70cc saw.

I am running into oaks a good half again as long as the 18” bar on my 501. Nice to have extra power on the white oaks. They can be brutal. Red oak much easier to cut.
If u have a lot of big white oaks you would utilize your time much better the bigger u go. I would go with my 80 to 90 cc saws over my 60 to 70 as primaries for cutting 20in + white oaks. Ever since my 1st 066, i did feel handicapped when i lost it in an accident until it was replaced with another 90cc saw. 60cc to 70cc below 20in white oak is fairly optimum, 20in 60cc or 22-25in 70cc.

Keep us updated.
Only thing with this saw vs my 490.
During start, choke and press decompress and pull twice, than to fast idle and should start next pull.
Tried to do pull until it sounded like it would start , with choke on and flooded.

Now starts 2/3 pull.

Hey there HighRidgePines, did you find a 620-pw in stock somewhere or pre-order one?
I have looked on lots of sights and dealers none in stock, will have to be patient I guess.
I have a 590, after I bought I decided the 620 would be better and I like the wrap handle.

Hey there HighRidgePines, did you find a 620-pw in stock somewhere or pre-order one?
I have looked on lots of sights and dealers none in stock, will have to be patient I guess.
I have a 590, after I bought I decided the 620 would be better and I like the wrap handle.
I have a very nice low hour 620pw. Would that be of interest? 27 inch bar but don’t know what it would cost to ship Let me know if you want pics. In talent Oregon

I have one on order.

Latest posts

Back